New Versys owner - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Versys owner

Greetings everyone.

I finally purchased my firstys Versys! It is an 08 in red, very clean and well taken care of by the original owner and I got a fantastic deal on it! I had to drive 120 miles each way, downhill and up, yes its true! I live in the mountains West of Denver CO. Anyway with my pickup in a snowstorm I had to retrieve it but stress aside it was very much worth it! Got it unloaded last night and it now sits warm and dry in her new spot in the garage. It came with a Givi style hard tail case, a two brothers exhaust ( too loud for my taste, think the stock is going back on) a TT tank bag and soft saddle bags.

Last year I owned a 2012 KLR650 and loved that bike but sold it off to buy a R1200GS, (that is in a league of its own) but I have also been eyeing the versys for a long time now and am very happy to have one!

I do plan to make a few mods to fit my style. I would like to add aux LED lights for better visibility day and night. Footpegs are a bit peg like, would like a wider set for comfort, heated grips, barkbusters and a taller windshield are on the shortlist.

I havnt had a chance to peruse this forum yet but any suggestions on what works best, proven in use hardware would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to learning from the vast knowledge and experience within this great forum!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	versysicn2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	59849   Click image for larger version

Name:	versysicn1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	59857  

Last edited by Dennsco; 02-16-2015 at 08:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 08:57 AM

I'm curious as to why you have both a 1200 GS and a Versys? The GS is for longer trips with a passenger?

There are lots of farkle ideas on this forum. I have 25,000 miles on my '08 red V. I'm heading into my 8th riding season on it. My most useful mods are Givi 19 L hard bags, Corbin seat, heated grips, V Stream + MRA vario wind screen combination, foot peg lowerers, mirror extenders, Garmin Zumo 550, rear fender/hugger, heated jacket, pants, gloves, socks, and added on tooth to countershaft sprocket.

Soon, I plan on installing a Progressive shock, lowering link, shorter kickstand.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 09:33 AM
MTS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennsco View Post
...Footpegs are a bit peg like, would like a wider set for comfort....

I replaced my 'pegs w/ a set from a DR650 which were a bit NARROW for my liking, so I bought some aftermarket DR650 'pegs on Ebay (about $14 a set), which, along w/ my "Speedys" 'peg-lowering-blocks, make my feet feel GREAT!

[

The DR 'pegs mount w/ smaller diameter bolts then the OEM ones do, but I mounted them up w/ the DR bolts rather than drill the holes larger, and over MANY miles they've worked GREAT!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 02-17-2015 at 02:01 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I went with Concours C-14 pegs on my 09.

025 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 12:05 PM

Garage
Btw....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Like weljo, I went with the Concourse C-14 pegs (and Speedy's peg lowering kit) and the combo works well for me. If you're going off road you might want a radiator guard to compliment the other off-roady stuff and, perhaps a fender extender. A rear hugger will help keep a good bit of crud off the back parts as well.

Oh yes, and welcome too. It's a secret but the 2008 red ones are the best. Don't tell anyone though.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Fasteddie, I appreciate the info on the pegs, your pics however are not linked. I will look up the DR pegs, sounds like a good solution, Thanks!

Weljo and Arion, thanks for the tip about the concourse pegs and lowering bracket. Since I just bought the versys I have not had a chance to ride it for more than 10 minutes to see how my knees feel as we just got slammed by a large snowstorm in the past 24hrs. I am thinking I will likely be lowering the pegs from just sitting on the bike though.

08 Versys in Red
08 BMW R1200GS
09 VStar1100 Classic Silverado
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Trialsguy, thanks for the suggestions, I have been looking online and am interested in the Vstream windshield. What would you suggest to keep a good amount of buffeting off the rider? I see they have the 14" tall, 15". 18" and 20". I am not a tall guy, but would like to have as good wind/weather protection as I can get with the Versys while riding. What size are you using? I would hate to buy one that is a bit too short!

I did extend my GS fenders, Cuts lots of road grime and will do the same to the versys!

To answer your question, why do I have a GS AND a Versys? Well, because I can? But kidding aside, you are correct. I ride year round, and ride a lot. I want to use the GS for dirt roads, longer rides like a PACNW trip this summer and Alaska next year and when my lil lady wants to 2up. The Versys is also for the lil lady to ride when she gets the urge. For me its my lightweight fun bike, and to keep the miles down on the xpensive beemr. I dont really plan to use the V for offroad riding. And lastly, I live in the foothills with many nearby winding canyons roads.

08 Versys in Red
08 BMW R1200GS

Last edited by Dennsco; 02-16-2015 at 10:19 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 10:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Fasteddie, I appreciate the info on the pegs, your pics however are not linked. I will look up the DR pegs, sounds like a good solution, Thanks!

Weljo and Arion, thanks for the tip about the concourse pegs and lowering bracket. Since I just bought the versys I have not had a chance to ride it for more than 10 minutes to see how my knees feel as we just got slammed by a large snowstorm in the past 24hrs. I am thinking I will likely be lowering the pegs from just sitting on the bike though.

The photo i posted has the (Speedy's) Motowerk peg lowering blocks with the C-14 pegs

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 09:28 AM

Welcome to the forum !
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Fasteddie, I appreciate the info on the pegs, your pics however are not linked....
Just reset the pics - check again.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the welcomes, and all of your suggestions/tips! I have been learning a lot here already! Thanks for resetting those pics Fasteddie, that helps!

I've had the bike in the garage since Sunday, sorta going through all of the typical post purchase routines of checking everything out with a fine tooth comb and servicing fluids, changing the oil and filter etc;. I found that the new'ish looking battery wasn't and wouldn't hold a charge, even after plugged in to a battery tender for over 24hrs. I did a voltage test with the bike off, and found only 10v!! WTH? Wonder the panel lights came on!

To be sure there was not any charging issues I started the bike with a good spare battry and checked again, between 13.8v - 14v so it seems the battery is the culprit. I think the PO let it sit to long and just put it on the charger before I came down to look at it. He could have simply said the battery was iffy, but not a big deal, I think it was the original Deka, and hey it happens when they get that old.

I have read that some of these bikes have issues with burning out regulators so I wanted to rule that out.

08 Versys in Red
08 BMW R1200GS
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 12:00 AM

Welcome!

Lovin every minute of it!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 03:42 AM
Super Moderator

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 06:36 AM

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 10:00 AM

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode