Hi from Italy everyone! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi from Italy everyone!

Hello everybody, my name is Mattia and I'm really glad to be a part of this board, I've been reading your posts for a long time now, actually since I got my Versys in 2011, to acquire some precious knowledge to get to know my (our) ride!
A little about myself, I'm 23, I live in Pavia, a small northern Italy town, not far from Milan. I am an Automation Engineering student, I love riding bikes and playing guitars, that's pretty much everything you need to know about me

Like I said I have a 2007 black Versys bought second hand in 2011 and I've been enjoying it ever since, I had some thoughts about changing it but it's just an awesome all-rounder and I can't get enough of it!

That being said I should address some issues I've encountered to be fair...
Like anybody else I've noticed the vibrations even though they don't bother me particularly.
The main problem I've encounterd so far is the clutch: it's super hard to operate, at first I didn't mind it but then I had the chance to try a '96 Transalp and a 2012 Er-6, both with incredibly smooth clutches which made me wonder what the problem could be. I've cleaned the cable intensively but that lasted a few days then it got back to being hard... I think I'm going to get a new one soon anyway but I would like to know what to take care of in order to prevent this condition to repeat itself.
A second issue I've noticed lately is that the gearbox is very noisy in particular up-shifting and going into 1st from neutral (compared at least to the Transalp I mentioned before), is that normal or is it time to change the oil? the current one has almost 6000km on its shoulders.
The third and final issue is that at low speeds the bike tends to "cough" a bit, which means I have to shift down, which means the revs go up and the bike becomes nervous and that's annoying going through traffic at rush hour. Everything is solved playing with the clutch to prevent the bike from "coughing" but it also means I'm operating the clutch very often and I've been told that should be avoided if possible... Would it be possible that the chain is on its last leg? Or would you say it's just normal? The bike has more or less 30k km and I assume the chain is the original one, so I was wondering if it would have been necessary to get a new one.

I'm sorry if I got a bit carried away with the problems, I just wanted to address some general issues before posting specific threads in the sub-forums. If I've gone off regulations please don't hesitate to tell me, anyway thanks for accepting my subscription and enjoy the Super Bowl tonight (it's gonna be at something like 3 in the morning here sadly!).
Ciao!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
This might help also....http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...d+clutch+cable

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanko View Post
The main problem I've encounterd so far is the clutch: it's super hard to operate, at first I didn't mind it but then I had the chance to try a '96 Transalp and a 2012 Er-6, both with incredibly smooth clutches which made me wonder what the problem could be. I've cleaned the cable intensively but that lasted a few days then it got back to being hard... I think I'm going to get a new one soon anyway but I would like to know what to take care of in order to prevent this condition to repeat itself.
I'll bet your clutch cable is on its "last legs". From the factory they come w/ the clutch-disengage point a long way from the handle-bars, making a "full pull" on the lever back to the bars try to STRETCH the cable, ultimately breaking it. I have re-adjusted MINE (a KLR and two Vs, as well as other guys bikes) so the clutch-disengage point is closer to the bars, and my OEM cable lasted till replaced a little while ago at 54,xxx miles. I drip some WD40 into it every now-and-then.

Quote:
A second issue I've noticed lately is that the gearbox is very noisy in particular up-shifting and going into 1st from neutral (compared at least to the Transalp I mentioned before), is that normal or is it time to change the oil? the current one has almost 6000km on its shoulders.
Sounds like you're due for an oil-change. Try synthetic if you haven't already.

Quote:
The third and final issue is that at low speeds the bike tends to "cough" a bit, which means I have to shift down, which means the revs go up and the bike becomes nervous and that's annoying going through traffic at rush hour. Everything is solved playing with the clutch to prevent the bike from "coughing" but it also means I'm operating the clutch very often and I've been told that should be avoided if possible... Would it be possible that the chain is on its last leg? Or would you say it's just normal? The bike has more or less 30k km and I assume the chain is the original one, so I was wondering if it would have been necessary to get a new one.
Sounds to me that you're riding around one or two gears TOO high for your speed. IF you shift to one that keeps your RPMs around at least 3,500 or so, I think you'll be happier. Check your chain to see IF it's got 'tight' links, or any O-rings are missing, as well as how far back your axle has been adjusted. My '08 is STILL on its OEM chain at 55,xxx MILES (89,xxx kms), and I ride a fair amount of dirt!

Quote:
I'm sorry if I got a bit carried away with the problems, I just wanted to address some general issues before posting specific threads in the sub-forums. If I've gone off regulations please don't hesitate to tell me, anyway thanks for accepting my subscription and enjoy the Super Bowl tonight (it's gonna be at something like 3 in the morning here sadly!).
Ciao!
Ciao yourself, and...

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 02-01-2015 at 02:09 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thank you guys for the quick replies, I think I'm gonna change the clutch cable anyway, it's not an expensive fix and it won't hurt the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Sounds to me that you're riding around one or two gears TOO high for your speed. IF you shift to one that keeps your RPMs around at least 3,500 or so, I think you'll be happier. Check your chain to see IF it's got 'tight' links, or any O-rings are missing, as well as how far back your axle has been adjusted. My '08 is STILL on its OEM chain at 55,xxx MILES (89,xxx kms), and I ride a fair amount of dirt!
I normally ride in towns trying to stay in that region, the problem is that it tends to cough exactly around those rpms, and that's why it's so annoying, one gear higher and it won't move, one gear lower and it's nervous like a 2 strokes. By the way when I say "cough" I mean in a gentle way, not like when you're driving a car in 6th gear at 10 (I think that's what you thought since you mentioned being too high in the gears). I'll try to be more specific, if I ride say at 30kph (15-20 mph if i'm not wrong), while keeping the throttle on the exact same position for a while, without changing gear, the bike would gently pull and release, pull and release and so on. It's not brutal, it's just a bit frustrating, especially when surrounded closely by cars with angry commuters at the wheel at rush hour.
It's always been like this ever since I bought it (at 24k km) and I had never even bothered about it, I just assumed that was the Versys's vibe, until I had a ride on the honda, which made me wonder if it was really the Versys's character or if something about it needs replacing (thus the focus on the chain)

Cheers and again, have a nice game!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome from way down under
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
...By the way when I say "cough" I mean in a gentle way, not like when you're driving a car in 6th gear at 10 (I think that's what you thought since you mentioned being too high in the gears). I'll try to be more specific, if I ride say at 30kph (15-20 mph if i'm not wrong), while keeping the throttle on the exact same position for a while, without changing gear, the bike would gently pull and release, pull and release and so on. It's not brutal, it's just a bit frustrating, especially when surrounded closely by cars with angry commuters at the wheel at rush hour.
It's always been like this ever since I bought it (at 24k km) and I had never even bothered about it, I just assumed that was the Versys's vibe, until I had a ride on the honda, which made me wonder if it was really the Versys's character or if something about it needs replacing (thus the focus on the chain)
Look for a thread by "invader" on adjusting your TPS (throttle position sensor). MIGHT be that.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode