A little help? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
A little help?

Hey everybody. My name's Chris and I'm new to this whole motorcycle thing. I've had the bug for about 5 years now and am about to take the MSF in a few weeks.

I've done a lot of research on bikes over the years and I've got it narrowed down to a BMW GS and a Versys. Don't want my first bike to eat my lunch and be more than I can handle so thinking of starting with a 650 GS or a Versys. I'm 6'1" and have sat on the Versys and was able to get my feet on the ground. The bike's weight felt comfortable and I think it would be a good beginner's bike. Not planning on off-road for a while. I know the Beemer's more expensive and the closest dealership is in Orlando. Any thoughts/advice?

Also, the local Kawa dealer is asking $7500 for an '09 (they have 4 left - 2 green and 2 blue). Told him I was paying cash and talked him down to $6800 out the door. Fair price for an '09 or should I shop another dealer? He told me he wouldn't order his '10's for another month and that they would be $600 more than the '09's.

Sorry for the long intro post, but really need some input. Thanks in advance and good to be on board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 11:51 AM

Two good choices and a great idea to take the MSF course.

If it were me starting out with little to no experience, I'd go on Craigs list and find myself a cheap used bike and ride that around for a few months.Not to put you off in anyway, we've all been there, but there's a chance you could drop your shiny new GS or Versys and even stationary, you'll do a lot of cosmetic damage. On a cheap used bike you won't care on your beautiful expensive new one, you'll be heart broken!

If you stick with new, I'd go the more economical route. Your GS will probably cost you $3k plus more than the Versys, it just doesn't have that extra $3k value in it.

Obviously we are all very biased on this forum, but Versys is a very easy bike to ride-at your height, you'll have no trouble touching the ground flat footed. You'll get good mpg, comfortable riding position and something you can grow into as you get more experienced. I've got 25k on mine and of all the bikes I've had (over a dozen) its by far the best. A big consideration is that even in hot weather it doesn't produce a lot of heat. Some bikes out there get so hot stuck in traffic on a hot day, its unbearable.

Good luck with your choice and welcome to the forum.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 12:24 PM

I'd say you should shop around. I know you are in a different area, but I just bought my new 09 for $6400 OTD, and if I drove a couple hours I could have gotten it for a few hundred less.

I second Machog's comment about good choice on the MSF course.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips! Much appreciated.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 01:10 PM

Don't hold too much faith on getting the '10 right away. My dealer said that they moved the factory mid-production, so only a very limited number were made. They might have been able to get their hands on one, but not much more.

Or was that the z1000?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Haven't been told the status of availability on the '10's. Although I was a little disappointed to find out that the Solar Pearl Yellow color would not be available in the U.S. No ABS on the U.S. bikes either. What's the reason for this?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 01:46 PM

I got my 09 versys (green) for 5999 out the door. tell that dealer, f off and good luck selling any of those!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 01:49 PM

My dealer didn't order early enough, and now they said they are sold out, so they won't be getting any.

I too wish the yellow and ABS were available. Guess they just think we won't pay the extra for the ABS, and that we don't like yellow over here.

Oh well I'll take the savings on the 09 over the 10 any day (and the styling of the 10 still hasn't grown on me).
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eparker202 View Post
I got my 09 versys (green) for 5999 out the door. tell that dealer, f off and good luck selling any of those!
Didn't sound like a great deal to me, either. This is my hometown shop, so it's convenient, but they don't have a great reputation. Told the guy I had cash money and he woudn't go any lower. Didn't understand that. Oh well - his loss. Looks like I'll be heading over to Pensacola. Couple of Kawa dealers over there.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
My dealer didn't order early enough, and now they said they are sold out, so they won't be getting any.

I too wish the yellow and ABS were available. Guess they just think we won't pay the extra for the ABS, and that we don't like yellow over here.

Oh well I'll take the savings on the 09 over the 10 any day (and the styling of the 10 still hasn't grown on me).
I actually like the styling of the '10's but the '09 definitely grew on me quick. Didn't care for the green when I first saw it, but saw it again in the showroom and now I love it.

That's one thing I prefer about the Beemer GS's is the standard ABS, but not enough to sway my decision.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 03:15 PM

Depending on the designation ( F vs G ) on the BMW, you could be also dealing with a one cylinder 650 vs the parallel twin on the Versys. I sat on a BMW at the time I was looking for my ( second ) bike but the price was a couple thousand more so I went with the Versys. For me, the Versys is, essentially, my first non-cruiser motorcycle ( this is my fourth year on a bike of any kind ) and I find it very forgiving and VERY confortable. I also got my '09, OTD, last Sept for just a touch over $6300. Me thinks that dealer is asking a bit too much.

Toys : 2009 Versys ( Blue ), 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Needs : 2016 Mazda CX-5 ( RIP Mazda5 ), 2007 Honda Civic
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 03:27 PM

My advise, get it and enjoy it. You won't regret not spending the extra cash for the BMW, you can always do that later if you like motorcycling. By the way, my local dealer has a blue and a green, both reduced to 6,600.00. I am sure they would take less, bikes are not moving.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorvtguy View Post
Depending on the designation ( F vs G ) on the BMW, you could be also dealing with a one cylinder 650 vs the parallel twin on the Versys. I sat on a BMW at the time I was looking for my ( second ) bike but the price was a couple thousand more so I went with the Versys. For me, the Versys is, essentially, my first non-cruiser motorcycle ( this is my fourth year on a bike of any kind ) and I find it very forgiving and VERY confortable. I also got my '09, OTD, last Sept for just a touch over $6300. Me thinks that dealer is asking a bit too much.
The BMW in question is an F650 GS. Like I said, in my situation, the cons outweigh the pros for this bike. This is the kind of bike I'm looking for. I like the standard riding position. Thanks for the info on your purchase. I'm convinced this guy is asking too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
My advise, get it and enjoy it. You won't regret not spending the extra cash for the BMW, you can always do that later if you like motorcycling. By the way, my local dealer has a blue and a green, both reduced to 6,600.00. I am sure they would take less, bikes are not moving.
Still love the BMW's. I've seen a few 1200 GS's on the road around here - my dream bike. Maybe someday. Too big and expensive for me right now. As for the price on the Versys, I may take one more stab locally and hit them up on the last Saturday of the month; see if that makes a difference.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Hi Luohan, I pretty new to whole forum thing but getting there. just got back into bikes couple of years ago and purchased a 02 bmw 650 gs but it had a 120,000 km on it as it was a x rental but was fully kitted out with all the givi luggage system and middle of last year sold it and brought a 08 versys with 4000km on clock also looked at a vstrom (found the strom just a bit top heavy for my likeing, sorry strom owners)and considered getting the new bmw gs which is a 800cc twin but they still call a 650 but would of cost around $4000.00 more, by the way 2010 versys is $15,000 (10,600 US)and the ABS version is around $16,400 ($11,644 US)NZ dollers. I am not a techno savy as most of these guys here but my view is I do miss the suspension of the GS smooth as and far superior going off road but the versys is the best bike i have ever had and bang for buck ya get, a all around great horse. It will keep up in the twistys with 1000k sports race bikes, great and smooth commute in city areas. Maybe considering machog advice but purchase a traded in versys as i did, give it heaps and see how you get on. also agree the the extra cost of the BMW will not give you that extra value but if ya detirmed to have a BMW then they are great bikes and if money no object go for it but the versys is fun, fun, fun o did i mention its fun
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
At 6' 1", you should be comfortable on the Versys. The GS 650 might be a bit in smaller side for you. The ABS on BMW is good but rememeber that you are on two wheels and ABS or No ABS you can fall. Me I take the versys, cheap easy to maintain and a good choice if your are new to bikes.

Versys has one big plus point, this forum and guys here are damm good, you get all the help and assistance FOC.

hope you get a versys and enjoy your ride.

and
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input and great advice, guys. I've done so much research on my own on these particular bikes; it's nice to find a site specifically for the Versys. Gonna hit a couple of out of town shops in the next couple of weeks (Kawasaki) and see what kind of deal they'll give me. Hopefully I can get somebody to go below $6k and bring home a bike soon. Keep you posted...
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Quick update: I talked to both shops in Pensacola to see what kind of deal I could get OTD paying cash. One wanted $7343 , the other $6700. The second guy told me cost alone on a V was $6200. Looks like around here my local shop is the best deal at $6800.

Thoughts?
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 12:09 PM

I paid a bit more than that for mine 2.5 years ago. If I amortize the amount of hours/miles (25kmiles) I've done on it, over what I paid for it-it works out at cheap fun! To me even at $7k it represents great value, much better than BMW, KTM etc.

As an aside, M/C dealers are dying out there. Over 20 HD dealers went tits up last month. Metric dealer sales were down over 40% in 2009 compared with 2008.
If you like the bike, like the dealer my 10c, go for it, you won't regret it.

Machog

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machog View Post
I paid a bit more than that for mine 2.5 years ago. If I amortize the amount of hours/miles (25kmiles) I've done on it, over what I paid for it-it works out at cheap fun! To me even at $7k it represents great value, much better than BMW, KTM etc.

As an aside, M/C dealers are dying out there. Over 20 HD dealers went tits up last month. Metric dealer sales were down over 40% in 2009 compared with 2008.
If you like the bike, like the dealer my 10c, go for it, you won't regret it.

Machog
Good point. Couple of years back when gas prices were skyrocketing, everybody and their brother rushed out and bought a bike around here. Sales are definitely down, but shops still do okay in my area. You can ride pretty much year round and I live 15 minutes from Destin and the Gulf of Mexico. People love riding in this area because of the weather and the beach.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 05:37 AM

Too much for bike

I purchased a 2008 "new" last week for $5789.00 out the door plus state tax.
Shop around, there are a few 08-09 on Ebay and cycle trader .

Cb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode