Hey - First time bike buyer - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey - First time bike buyer

Well, I come here seeking information On the Versys vs. the ER-6n, and why either of them would be worth the extra cost over a Ninja 250 to someone with a very limited income. Then of course, why you chose the versys. Ill start a thread on it later. I'm 19, I live in Rural Washington, and am stoked to get a bike as soon as I pay off my welder.

I'm an avid poster on Jeepforum.com, and here is my current ride

Not a great picture, but here it is

And here is my current project. Its a 88 K5 that was rolled, so far about 8'' of lift on 38s, and when its all set and done, should have almost 15'' of lift and will be on 42s or 44s.

Look forward to talking to all of you later!

Last edited by ArrizX; 03-09-2010 at 04:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 05:53 AM

To me it kind of depends on your physical size. I'm 5' 11", 185 lbs and the Ninja 250 is just too small and tight (even if I wanted to ride in a sport bike position, which I don't). Many say the Ninja 250 is a great beginner bike, but the Versys is so easy it could be a starter if you are conscious of the high center of gravity and the extra power. The Versys in my opinion is a better all-around motorcycle.

Good luck.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 07:47 AM

Ok, this is easy. Ninja 250 is a 1988 technology with plastic from 2008 and according to kawasaki that plastic costs 1000 dollars (2007 ninja 250 $2999, 2009 ninja 250 $3999). the versys is 2006 technology (fuel injection!) and as a left over only about 2k more. Need i say more?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eparker202 View Post
Ok, this is easy. Ninja 250 is a 1988 technology with plastic from 2008 and according to kawasaki that plastic costs 1000 dollars (2007 ninja 250 $2999, 2009 ninja 250 $3999). the versys is 2006 technology (fuel injection!) and as a left over only about 2k more. Need i say more?
The Ninja 250 was completely made over in '08 hence the large price increase. Still no FI but it does have better brakes, wheels, tires, suspension, styling, etc. etc. than it's predecessor.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 09:03 AM

Looking at those mountains in the background I'd guess you'd appreciate the torque of a 650 riding over passes rather than riding a 250 pegged much of the time. The fuel injection is tough to beat as well. If you spend time more on open roads and highway speeds you would probably prefer to have the bit more wind protection of the V over the ER-6. As you've probably seen on this site....there's much to like (love) about the V and problems are generally minor annoyances. The V is hard to beat! Keep us posted.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 09:19 AM

Yes there were many "good" changes, but the changes that increased the price tag by 33% are do not give 33% more performance. The brakes are cooler looking, but still only 2 piston small rotor brakes, yes the suspension is slightly better, but nothing a new 30 dollar spring or thicker fork oil couldnt fix. Yes it does have 17in wheels, but are they really that much better than 16in wheels? No. Now if you think the styling is worth 1000 dollars than the ninja 250 is a good choice, but you can buy a slightly used 2007 for 2000 dollars! Add in 3 new springs, thicker fork oil, better brake pads, and better tires the total will be around $2500. Another thing... say you drop your 07, and really want to replace the damaged plastic, you can find people selling their plastic anywhere. Say you drop your new 2008/09 ninja, look to spend about 500 bucks to replace one piece. So, i guess i am a very practical person, and i do not like spending money merly on styling... i guess that is why i ride a versys... some say its ugly, i say its a great all around bike, and is well worth the 5999 i paid for it.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 10:22 AM

I am sure you will make the right choice, after all you have a Jeep.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 10:56 PM

19 y/o, first bike, easy: Ninja 250. if you ego can handle it, that's probably the smart move. call your insurance agent for quotes to help you with this decision.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input guys!

I made a thread too

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...newpost&t=7150
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
19 y/o, first bike, easy: Ninja 250. if you ego can handle it, that's probably the smart move. call your insurance agent for quotes to help you with this decision.
+1

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

Dont just jump to conclusions. "Oh a 19 year old idiot on a bike, he will kill himself with anything bigger"
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 03:17 AM

Nope.
Just A LOT more likely is all.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

This is true.... I wont deny that but its also not like I am after a liter supersport bike for my first ride either.

I thinkt he versys is still pretty tame compared to alot of bikes out there.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 06:40 PM

Find a decent, affordable used bike that you can comfortably handle, one that you don't mind getting a few scratches and dings on, and gain some experience for about one riding season. Then buy a Versys.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX View Post
Dont just jump to conclusions. "Oh a 19 year old idiot on a bike, he will kill himself with anything bigger"
don't just assume that you know what i'm assuming. have you called an insurance agent? my first bike was a 650, albeit not as powerful as the versys. but i was 23 and my ins. company was (is) USAA. if you have USAA, no worries. if not, make the call before you decide. i don't know what they'll think of these bikes, none are pure sports machines. but given your age, you might want to find out for certain.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode