New guy 2! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New guy 2!

The instructions in registration said to post in "New Member Forum" that now appears to be "Member Introduction Forum", so here is first post. One more to go and 48 hours later I can sit at the "adult" table.

Haven't gotten to details on profile yet but I'm probably older than a lot of you. My first "bike" was a Cushman Silver Eagle. I'll post a pic of me and a pal on it about 1963-64. (once I figure out how to) I have ridden street cruisers, "scramblers", dirt bikes, 4wheelers and I own a Yamaha Rhino now.

I have decades of technical exposure, although most of the guys and shops I hung around had more knowledge and experience than I. (hence my reason for being a groupie) I have already seen from the forums that this will be the case here too. Thanks in advance for your patience and expertise.

Now, about my reasons and expectations for joining this forum. I have been searching for a motorcycle for a while. Mostly interested in a "cruiser" class bike to ride to gym and cruise countryside. That search has about resolved itself. I'll share more as it comes together.

Recently in my searching and reading I "discovered" the Versys.
WOW

After weeks of reading and seeing some for sale I decided to go to the mountaintop. I read several strings on here, many of which exceed my needs. I am convinced I was on track. Then after joining, I read the home page, which states the the Versys is a pavement bike. Therein lies the rub.

I am from the Carolina's, now spending a lot of the year in Northwest Arkansas. My countryside cruising in both areas often leads to or from a "dirt" road. At this point I don't see myself trail riding.( although I always look at the "dirt" bikes too!)

I currently cruise in a 1998 4wd Ford Expedition. I know the large cruiser I am moving into won't be ideal,or even feasible, for some of my routes. (12 miles down USFS road to The Catalpa Cafe in Ozone Arkansas for lunch), (check it out if you're ever in the area)
The deal on the cruiser may allow me to consider adding a second bike to the stable sooner than later.

So bottom line.
Not interested in much tinkering.
Saw one ad for Versys listed as "Adventure" model.
Reliability paramount. Simplicity too.

Will a stock Verysys allow me enough latitude to plan some routes with a bit more soul?

Thanks ya'll.
RKTMAN

Last edited by RKTMAN; 01-05-2015 at 12:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

learning

I first posted as a reply to Sticky's thread

does that count towards my two or do I have to post two "threads?'
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

Pic

I loaded the Cushman pic to my profile
So small prob not much help
If I'm interpreting rules correctly I will be able to post pic to "Bulletin board" so it will be big enough for viewing after I graduate from rookie class

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
from another old guy - from San Antonio, TX. A Cushman was my first ride back in the very early 60s as well.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
my first bike as a 1963 Yamaha 80...old is a state of mind..and the condition of your body...my mind doesn't think I'm old..but my body begs to differ...the Versys is the perfect bike for guys like us...

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
my first bike as a 1963 Yamaha 80...old is a state of mind..and the condition of your body...my mind doesn't think I'm old..but my body begs to differ...the Versys is the perfect bike for guys like us...

Isn't that the truth. My mind still doesn't know what I want to be when (rather if) I ever grow up. My body however reminds me regularly that I now have an artificial hip! Still. I can ride and that's what matters to me. Forever young!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome from way down under
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 05:50 PM

You could always buy some dual sport tires for the versys. Just saying. It has the suspension and riding position to be ok on USFS roads, and enough power to keep you interested on the road.

2013 Kawasaki Versys- Blue/Black
2014 Honda Grom- Red/Black
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 350 Blue/Black
2012 Kawasaki KLX250s Red/Black
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

kINDRED SPIRITS

Thanks to all
That's exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

From other thread i posted in last night

Ha, no all you need for that is an older Garmin set yo "shortest distance." I've been sent off on all manner of "soulful" experiences using that...especially in West Virginia.

Now if you want to increase your odds of getting thru those and the enjoyment level of taking them in the first place, I'd say a Versys would be a far better bet than a cruiser.

Then again, filed under "different strokes for different folks":

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/forwood/bike2.shtml

This was to good for you guys to miss!
Member name "saddlebag"
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKTMAN View Post
...Will a stock Verysys allow me enough latitude to plan some routes with a bit more soul?...RKTMAN
Yup....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obijack View Post
You could always buy some dual sport tires for the versys. Just saying. It has the suspension and riding position to be ok on USFS roads, and enough power to keep you interested on the road.
Good comments. (Check my pics....), tho' I WOULD add a few other 'farkles' such as "crash-bars", etc.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00432 copy.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	58546   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00433 copy.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	58554   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00434 copy.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	58562  

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 09:49 AM

Welcome. My first was also a 59 or 60 Cushman super eagle (square fender) You will like the V
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 01:53 PM

Welcome to the forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode