I'm Jen. I bought my Versys on April 21, 2008 and love it. I've been lurking on here for a couple months, but didn't get too involved then because I was super busy with work and was trying to get the bike set up for a 1000 mile 3 day trip at the end of May.
I have just over 3000 miles on the bike so far. I commute on it some (70 miles RT, not including going to lunch and errands after work) and also "sport tour".
For the Memorial Day weekend, I went down to Southern Utah with 14 friends. The trip report, with photos integrated, will be up soon on http://www.canyonchasers.net/
- most of the "in depth" text is mine. The photos are already up in the gallery. There are probably better pics of my V, but here's one showing the hand guards
I zipped up to Bear Lake, ID to camp with some other friends this past weekend. And in 1.5 weeks, I'll be heading to Yellowstone Park for a 4 day trip with 7 friends. I've never been to Yellowstone, so I'm super excited!
I got my motorcycle license in 1998, after 22 years of lusting to ride. My previous (and first) bike is a 1985 RZ350 - which is for sale, if any of you are 2smoke freaks. I also commuted on that and did day rides, but never any overnights.
I've also spent a little time on the track with the Versys. I did a Sport Touring Advanced Rider Training
the weekend after I bought the bike - it's how I broke in the motor.
And last week I spent a 2.5 hour block on the track as part of the Racing 2 Save Lives
charity event. Fun stuff! So fun, in fact, that I'm going to look for a track bike (probably an SV).
I've made the following modifications to the Versys so far
- Kawi / Givi PLX side cases
- Kawi "low" gel seat
- Acerbis supermoto hand guards* with the swivel joint mounting kit. We had to make a custom bracket extension to accommodate the weird placement of the master cylinder. But I really wanted hand guards that were "structural", not just for wind protection.
- Heated grips*
- Distribution block / relay* - so my accessories turn off when I turn off the bike
- 12V accessory outlet (cigarette lighter style outlet)*
- Power cord for heated vest*
- I flipped the stock windscreen upside down and it still sucked, so for now it is off the bike. I have the slightly larger Kawi windscreen, but haven't been able to get it to mount correctly to be able to test it out.
- I just ordered Conti Road Attack tires today. Woo hoo!
- I'll be getting my suspension set up by Corporate Suspension within the next week.
* My friend Mike installed the electrical bits for me and made the custom bracket for my hand guards. Any questions about installation would have to be forwarded to him. :-)
Mods I still want to do
- in no particular order
Items I'm not sure about
- Radar detector
- Tank scuff protector thingie
- Steel braided brake lines
- Engine crash guards: https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trad...view/3855/652/
- Sliders - engine and swingarm. I know there are already bolt holes to add "spools" on the swingarm, but I'm not sure what I should be looking for in choosing "spools".
- Windscreen that doesn't direct the wind at the base of my head, making me look like a bobble head doll! I think I might go for the CalSci one.
- Fender eliminator. I know, I know, removing the fender will get me dirtier. Whatever. I hate the Versys fender and want it cleaned up. So far, I think I like the R&G one. Or I could just go with an undertray and get rid of the goofy blinkers completely.
- Different tank bag. I'm using a friend's Icon. It's good, but kinda big for the bike. I think I want to get the PacSafe.
- I want to get a soft sided tail bag to use on longer trips. A few of my friends have the Ventura system and I *really* like it. But I also like the idea of the PacSafe tail bag locking to the bike...
- Not specific to the bike, but I want to find a good in-helmet headset. I'm so tired of dealing with earphones under my helmet to listen to the iPod. They never stay in place correctly, etc etc etc.
Well that's me! I look forward to getting to know y'all, and I hope more people in the SLC area buy Versyses soon so our bikes can have play dates!
If you have any suggestions for any of the mods I haven't done yet, please let me know!
p.s. I work at Miller Motorsports Park, so if you ever come out, ask for me to say hello!