No bike yet. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
No bike yet.

No bike yet, but looking for info on differences between 2009-2010- and 2011. After much research I have decided to buy a Versys, but not sure which year. Help.
Currently own 2014 KTM300 for hard core bush, 2012 Husaberg FE570 fully kitted out for hard Adv riding, 2012 Beta 200, I compete in trials, but now want a more focused road/dirt road bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

After some more searching it looks like a 2010 will give the best bang for the buck, but still not sure if it is worth looking. There are quite a few 2009s available, but few 2010s. Oh dear, what to do. Ideally would like a new one, but want to try a used one, and if I love it will upgrade in a year.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 09:26 AM

I started looking for a used '10 up but ended up with a "new" '12 because there was so little difference in price. Lotsa of left-overs out there cheap.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 10:19 AM

Coming from an MX background I found the riding position a lot more natural on my V than a lot of other bikes. I can say after 20,000 miles my 09 she is a real charmer. Maybe not the best for a lot of use on gravel roads but she will happily roll down them at a decent speed. no matter what year you end up with I think you'll be OK. However, the new one looks darn sexy. See if you can get one with some extras used. bash plate, bark busters, a rack. some nice farkles already attached so you don't have to reach as far into your pocket after your initial investment of the bike.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

Here's what a "dirty" '09 can look like

and here's what a "dirty" '08 can look like

ALL Vs are GREAT!!!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper-darryl View Post
No bike yet, but looking for info on differences between 2009-2010- and 2011. After much research I have decided to buy a Versys, but not sure which year. Help.
Currently own 2014 KTM300 for hard core bush, 2012 Husaberg FE570 fully kitted out for hard Adv riding, 2012 Beta 200, I compete in trials, but now want a more focused road/dirt road bike.
I am wondering what you mean by "more focused road/dirt road bike" ???

I consider my '08 V a tall road bike. Not a road/dirt bike.

The heavy front end, the small (17") front wheel, stiff suspension (for off-road), cast wheels, and lack of front wheel visibility make it no fun for me for riding it on anything rougher than a well graded dirt or gravel road.

Where do you ride Trials? I compete in Trials in Wisconsin and sometimes Illinois and Minnesota.

Last edited by trialsguy; 12-30-2014 at 12:44 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper-darryl View Post
I read somewhere on this forum that the '08 V's have more hp & torque than the later years of V's.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 04:02 PM

Only Black Versys have more power.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Versys

[IMG][/IMG]I live in Bundaberg Queensland and ride in the trials around the area. For hard core ( re mostly dirt and old old over grown tracks) the 570 Berg is perfect, but want to do more riding that is paved/ sealed roads and windy gravel back roads. This is where the big berg is tiring, while a bike like a Versys is easy. I want the best of both worlds, so need a Versys type bike. I have ridden a v-storm a bit and it does not impress me. Too big and heavy, and looks yuck.

Last edited by Thumper-darryl; 12-30-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode