New Rider in Washington State - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Rider in Washington State

Hi everyone! Looking forwards to posting some more on the forum.

I just bought my bike brand new yesterday and took it home. I have been lurking here for a while since I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted. (Between this, klr, and vstrom) This is my first motorcycle so I am hoping to learn as much as I can.

First couple things I am looking to get are some crash bars and side bags since I'll want to go down a gravel road every now and then.

Anyways hope you guys have some good comments or links that would be useful to a new rider! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome from Alaska! I would recommend some more aggressive tires than stock if and when you go down that gravel road. Engine guards are a good idea, maybe hand guards too. Heated grips might be a good idea too if you plan on riding in the spring or fall. Get some good riding gear and take a motorcycle safety course.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
welcome from just south of ya maybe we can ride together next season , also check out pnwriders.com (not as cool as here)but a good forum non the less
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Enjoy, ride safely and never stop learning and practicing. It will help keep you alive and in one piece.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

I rode LOTS of gravel/ dirt roads on the OEM tires, but it IS better on other rubber (like Metzler Tourance...).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
Welcome from Alaska! I would recommend some more aggressive tires than stock if and when you go down that gravel road. Engine guards are a good idea, maybe hand guards too. Heated grips might be a good idea too if you plan on riding in the spring or fall. Get some good riding gear and take a motorcycle safety course.
Thanks everyone! Yeah I had planned on getting hand guards and engine guards. I am currently debating between swmotech and h&b. I like the looks of the h&b but am not sure how well they actually protect the bike.

Silviefox, that would be cool. I dont have any riding buddys in the area! I'll check out that fourm too.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
welcome from just south of ya maybe we can ride together next season , also check out pnwriders.com (not as cool as here)but a good forum non the less
Squid Alert..Squid Alert... I love guys over at PNW Riders also...If you love pushing your Versys to the limit you'll like riding with them too...Needless to say they are FAST FAST and on occasion FASTER...Mostly a sportbike group and a few Moto boys thrown in...Approach with caution and remember what they say.."ride your own ride" (ride at speeds you are comfortable with and they will be waiting at the appropriate intersections for you)...

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action.Jackson View Post
Thanks everyone! Yeah I had planned on getting hand guards and engine guards. I am currently debating between swmotech and h&b. I like the looks of the h&b but am not sure how well they actually protect the bike.

Silviefox, that would be cool. I dont have any riding buddys in the area! I'll check out that fourm too.
Jackson - I initially went w/ H-B guards which did a FINE job protecting things when I low-sided at 20 to 30 mph, but then I wanted a "skid-plate", so I bought some SW-Motech ones. Found out PDQ that they would NOT mount up w/ H-Bs, so I 'bit the bullet', and replaced the H-Bs w/ SWs (on BOTH my Vs).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 07:06 PM

Where abouts in E. Washington are you? Im located in Wenatchee.

Mike
oldmxer95
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 07:08 PM

Garage
Quote:

just hit me up on here or there ( add me on there too if ya like ) when ya ready to ride again
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 07:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
Squid Alert..Squid Alert... I love guys over at PNW Riders also...If you love pushing your Versys to the limit you'll like riding with them too...Needless to say they are FAST FAST and on occasion FASTER...Mostly a sportbike group and a few Moto boys thrown in...Approach with caution and remember what they say.."ride your own ride" (ride at speeds you are comfortable with and they will be waiting at the appropriate intersections for you)...

unless you go on a lazy ride with me HAHAHAHA
ya alota track monkeys there on PNWR who think you have to go top speed or be on one wheel to be cool (or have a ducky to go to starducks)
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Jackson - I initially went w/ H-B guards which did a FINE job protecting things when I low-sided at 20 to 30 mph, but then I wanted a "skid-plate", so I bought some SW-Motech ones. Found out PDQ that they would NOT mount up w/ H-Bs, so I 'bit the bullet', and replaced the H-Bs w/ SWs (on BOTH my Vs).
Yeah I think thats what I decided on for the same reason. I think they might possibly protect the bike a bit better. Who knows though? Not many volunteers to test them.

Oldmxer95, I'm in Kennewick, WA. Unfortunately its a bit far silvie, but I make it over there every now and then!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...I think they might possibly protect the bike a bit better. Who knows though? Not many volunteers to test them....
One of the aftermarket companies have a video where they (unintentionally) low-sided a Versys wearing the SW-Motech guards. QUITE the video! (Twisted Throttle???)

Someone...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
One of the aftermarket companies have a video where they (unintentionally) low-sided a Versys wearing the SW-Motech guards. QUITE the video! (Twisted Throttle???)

Someone...?
Yeah I saw that! Twisted throttle. Honestly is probably that that sold it. I saw that and then a thread here (http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20296) where a dude got dragged under a semi for 300m and then rode to work after... Crazy! I couldn't really find anything on the h&b even though I like the looks of that one too.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 01:41 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I watched that video a couple of times...The way the rider pounds the ground made me think it wasn't on purpose...i hope to have my SW MOTECH bars this spring...

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 02:51 AM
MTS

I would put a front fenda extenda on. That gravel will hit your radiator. Also some great rider saftey books too!

And alway CCW!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post

I would put a front fenda extenda on. That gravel will hit your radiator. Also some great rider saftey books too!

And alway CCW!

Ccw as in conceal carry? I have a permit but unfortunately OR and CA won't honor it
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 11:44 PM

Garage
great adds on versys

WELCOME\;]
The Versys forum has been a great source of information and advice for this bike. evidence mentioned and pictured\;]
SW-Motech; belly pan and engine guards/ Foot pegs, Fenda Extenda, Hepco Rack for the Pelicans(wishing for the rear deck), Bark Buster hand guards(white lettering had to go), Fuze Block(located under left fairing), Moto-Werks; rear spools/ mirror risers-extenders/ Kick stand foot pad/ Handle bar extender/ GPS Mount(power point/heated grip controller)
Stock tires where ehh and well beyond their life span at 8K miles and the Pirelli Scorpions with 6k have been amazing(need just a little more for the gravel/dirt) and I need to replace these, and shopping?
Thanks again to all of the contributors
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	barkbuster pic.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	58041   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3011.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	58049  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode