Tax, Tag, and Titile Costs bumped up from Sales Price - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tax, Tag, and Titile Costs bumped up from Sales Price

Greetings

This dealer looked a little shady from web reports, but their $4999 for 2014 (Green :-) abs Vs. Model turns out to be $8000 out the door, or $7500 with my disabled Veteran discount. $3000 for tax, title, and fees???

Talk about screwing the pooch! I was also looking at a (white) 2013 new for $6400 from a more reputable dealer minus about $1250 (at least) for model (750) and VA (500) discount. I really don't care about abs, since it was not really originally designed for leaning (and a small patch of road/tire cohesion of friction) and stopping (I had it on a 1995 BMW K1100LT and i thought it sucked: mushy and unpredictable.) They say rain is best reason to have abs and that is stupid to slam on your brakes in the rain any way. I'll pass on abs if possible. Just cast steel (or cast iron if you could get it, but so cheap, they don't make) discs and non-metallic pads. But big 4 Jap oem pads/discs should be fine: they were on my 1993 Honda Nighthawk 750.

I was figuring about $412 tax (8% x $5150) + $500 (title $250 + all other bs fees) = $912 total added to retail price. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. This is the best site of motorcycle riders I've seen yet! So $6062 for a shiny white metallic 2013 Vs. is my target (or what I'm hoping, and it's a local dealer so... maybe??)

Thanks!!

Last edited by kawdog; 12-07-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 06:57 PM

A lot of what dealers charge depends on the custom for the region. Here in Florida dealer charge Freight, Delivery, Dealer Fee, and Assembly, which add about $1000 on top of the tax, tag, and title. I paid $6800 OTD for my Brand new 2013 Versys non-abs, at the end of October. Ill see if I can find my invoice and upload it to show you the price breakdown.

*Edit: See attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SCN_0010.pdf (682.3 KB, 63 views)

2013 Kawasaki Versys- Blue/Black
2014 Honda Grom- Red/Black
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 350 Blue/Black
2012 Kawasaki KLX250s Red/Black

Last edited by Obijack; 12-07-2014 at 07:05 PM.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Yea that dealer prep fee is a rip off. Since your in the Los angeles area. Give Bert's Mega Mall a shot. The oldest boy got a really sweet deal when he bought his GSXR 750 there. But he worked the deal like i showed him. I was in sales for years...http://www.bertsmegamall.com/default.asp

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I bought my brand new 2012 V. last January (2014) in the dead of winter...they advertised it at 5999...I went in w/ 6k and told them to write it up however they wanted..but 6k was all they were getting...yeah there was some 800 bucks in fees and crap..but I didn't get them added on...funniest part was..I actually walked out the door with all the paper work and keys AND the money still in my pocket (I was picking the bike up later that week when the weather was supposed to clear a bit)...I went back in and asked the salesman if he wanted the money now or later...He broke out into this huge sweat..and said NOW...Almost got the bike free...

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obijack View Post
A lot of what dealers charge depends on the custom for the region. Here in Florida dealer charge Freight, Delivery, Dealer Fee, and Assembly, which add about $1000 on top of the tax, tag, and title. I paid $6800 OTD for my Brand new 2013 Versys non-abs, at the end of October. Ill see if I can find my invoice and upload it to show you the price breakdown.

*Edit: See attachment.
OBIJACK - Thanks, that's great and seems real close to my situation! At least it's a stick in the mud and close to my optimistic guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Yea that dealer prep fee is a rip off. Since your in the Los angeles area. Give Bert's Mega Mall a shot. The oldest boy got a really sweet deal when he bought his GSXR 750 there. But he worked the deal like i showed him. I was in sales for years...http://www.bertsmegamall.com/default.asp
That may be where I go after exam's next week. They have a whole lot more offers than anyone else (but maybe you can't mix and match deals?), and they are only 28 miles away.

You are the 'guru' of this site buying and selling toys bi-weekly. 'Dad', help me out too and tell me how to deal like you showed your oldest boy! I was looking at Christmas eve before noon when shops are still open. Is there deal-prep I can do on the phone in the meantime? Let me know please. This will be an education, hopefully

Thanks Big Guy!!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 08:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
OBIJACK - Thanks, that's great and seems real close to my situation! At least it's a stick in the mud and close to my optimistic guess.

That may be where I go after exam's next week. They have a whole lot more offers than anyone else (but maybe you can't mix and match deals?), and they are only 28 miles away.

You are the 'guru' of this site buying and selling toys bi-weekly. 'Dad', help me out too and tell me how to deal like you showed your oldest boy! I was looking at Christmas eve before noon when shops are still open. Is there deal-prep I can do on the phone in the meantime? Let me know please. This will be an education, hopefully

Thanks Big Guy!!

Hell i can meet up with you one day at Berts and we can harass a sales guy. Are you planning on paying cash or finance through them? You have a lot more leverage if paying in full or have your own financing already.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
I bought my brand new 2012 V. last January (2014) in the dead of winter...they advertised it at 5999...I went in w/ 6k and told them to write it up however they wanted..but 6k was all they were getting...yeah there was some 800 bucks in fees and crap..but I didn't get them added on...funniest part was..I actually walked out the door with all the paper work and keys AND the money still in my pocket (I was picking the bike up later that week when the weather was supposed to clear a bit)...I went back in and asked the salesman if he wanted the money now or later...He broke out into this huge sweat..and said NOW...Almost got the bike free...

LOL, good jobd! That's what I want to do, but efficiently in one swipe riding it home. $6K is the goal, for any year new model.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Hell i can meet up with you one day at Berts and we can harass a sales guy. Are you planning on paying cash or finance through them? You have a lot more leverage if paying in full or have your own financing already.
Cash. The new models are running out quick for end of year, but maybe not at Bert's. Yeah, it would be good to have a multi-buyer leverage (yourself) with me to get a good deal. Other than $750 e-o-y model deal and $500 VA credit (and I haven't even looked at all of Bert's additional offers) I was hoping to pay $6K out the door or less for a non-green model (white is preferred) and I really don't care for abs on a motorcycle (it almost got me killed.)

After final exams next Wednesday, we can set up a time. I'll have to re-shuffle my clinic schedule during break time, but this is more than I could have hoped for. So give me times between next Thursday to Christmas Eve you can do a deal conveniently and I'll start shuffling my schedule.

I'm sure there is an Enterprise near there (So Cal just seems like one huge metropolitan area) so I can drop off my car rental.

Thank you so much!! AND I don't know if you can do it on this site, but PM or email me. I'll try to set it up now on my profile to accept emails. NEXT SUNDAY WOULD BE PERFECT!?!?

Last edited by kawdog; 12-07-2014 at 09:02 PM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 10:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Cash. The new models are running out quick for end of year, but maybe not at Bert's. Yeah, it would be good to have a multi-buyer leverage (yourself) with me to get a good deal. Other than $750 e-o-y model deal and $500 VA credit (and I haven't even looked at all of Bert's additional offers) I was hoping to pay $6K out the door or less for a non-green model (white is preferred) and I really don't care for abs on a motorcycle (it almost got me killed.)

After final exams next Wednesday, we can set up a time. I'll have to re-shuffle my clinic schedule during break time, but this is more than I could have hoped for. So give me times between next Thursday to Christmas Eve you can do a deal conveniently and I'll start shuffling my schedule.

I'm sure there is an Enterprise near there (So Cal just seems like one huge metropolitan area) so I can drop off my car rental.

Thank you so much!! AND I don't know if you can do it on this site, but PM or email me. I'll try to set it up now on my profile to accept emails. NEXT SUNDAY WOULD BE PERFECT!?!?

Sounds Good, I just getting over a cold i got from riding in the rain Monday and not getting out of wet clothes like the GF told me too. I have a doctors appointment next wednesday but so far nothing else planned. Next sunday sounds good. I'll go to Berts one day next week and start working on a sales guy.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sounds Good, I just getting over a cold i got from riding in the rain Monday and not getting out of wet clothes like the GF told me too. I have a doctors appointment next wednesday but so far nothing else planned. Next sunday sounds good. I'll go to Berts one day next week and start working on a sales guy.
Sounds Great! Let me know who you soften up with any subliminal information about them. I'll get the bill Obijack kindly posted on this thread (and when you throw out the $799 bs freight charges, you are there at $6K(!), just what Chadams66 paid too), blue book for the last several years, and anything else I dig up.

So it sounds like $6K is the walking price, except I've got the Disabled Veteran's additional $500 bonus. So let's make this poor vet's Christmas a Merry one with a $5500 out-the-door price w/taxes, tag, and title!
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Thanks Weljo2001, Obijack, and Cadams66!
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 02:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Sounds Great! Let me know who you soften up with any subliminal information about them. I'll get the bill Obijack kindly posted on this thread (and when you throw out the $799 bs freight charges, you are there at $6K(!), just what Chadams66 paid too), blue book for the last several years, and anything else I dig up.

So it sounds like $6K is the walking price, except I've got the Disabled Veteran's additional $500 bonus. So let's make this poor vet's Christmas a Merry one with a $5500 out-the-door price w/taxes, tag, and title!
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Thanks Weljo2001, Obijack, and Cadams66!

Haven't been able to see anything but 2014 at Berts but there is a White 2013 in Whittier I'll check out and i'm pretty close to Del Amo Motorsports so I'll check with them too. Not able to get a PM to you yet.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

I opened up all my access, but i may be too new a member (or do not have a Vs. yet.)

Bert's did not show any Versys new bikes on web site, at all. If they have 2014, that would be perfect. I've scheduled Whittier for a white 2013.

These are definitely the hottest bikes around. They can't keep them on the showroom floors! That will make the $5.5K OTD Christmas wish a little tough. Kawasaki's have always been the best value for the dollar and fast! This one just happens to be better priced and one of the few that does not require spinal surgery after years of riding.

Sometimes, dealers create artificial shortages, esp during year end offers, just like 'delayed' new model introductions to distort the supply/demand balance for more money. I was hoping Bert's had larger economy of scales to worry about than playing those games. Bert's and Whittier are the best bets that I've seen so far, except for Weljo2001!

If not, a used Nighthawk 750, Bandit 600, DL650, or Versys 650 would work too; but I'd like to take advantage of year end while it is here. I had my eye on a half dozen Nighthawk 750's in LA area with dealers and owners too. They all disappeared last weekend, dammit! Now, the new Vs. are doing the same thing, lol.

And not the case here I don't think, but BMW would not keep their F650 GS on the floor because they did not want people to test ride them and feel the efi lag on a single cylinder. They wanted you to buy them first. I already have a cheap already paid for (mulitipad) solution for the seat, that I had to use for the Nighthawk 750 with a similar crap designed seat. I just hope one dealer in town is Vet-friendly!

Last edited by kawdog; 12-08-2014 at 11:13 AM.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 12:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
I opened up all my access, but i may be too new a member (or do not have a Vs. yet.)

Bert's did not show any Versys new bikes on web site, at all. If they have 2014, that would be perfect. I've scheduled Whittier for a white 2013.

These are definitely the hottest bikes around. They can't keep them on the showroom floors! That will make the $5.5K OTD Christmas wish a little tough. Kawasaki's have always been the best value for the dollar and fast! This one just happens to be better priced and one of the few that does not require spinal surgery after years of riding.

Sometimes, dealers create artificial shortages, esp during year end offers, just like 'delayed' new model introductions to distort the supply/demand balance for more money. I was hoping Bert's had larger economy of scales to worry about than playing those games. Bert's and Whittier are the best bets that I've seen so far, except for Weljo2001!

If not, a used Nighthawk 750, Bandit 600, DL650, or Versys 650 would work too; but I'd like to take advantage of year end while it is here. I had my eye on a half dozen Nighthawk 750's in LA area with dealers and owners too. They all disappeared last weekend, dammit! Now, the new Vs. are doing the same thing, lol.

And not the case here I don't think, but BMW would not keep their F650 GS on the floor because they did not want people to test ride them and feel the efi lag on a single cylinder. They wanted you to buy them first. I already have a cheap already paid for (mulitipad) solution for the seat, that I had to use for the Nighthawk 750 with a similar crap designed seat. I just hope one dealer in town is Vet-friendly!

The Versys isn't that hot of a seller so don't buy into that bullcrap. If theres one on the floor then its been there awhile.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

It is the only New one I was considering because everything else is out of line for my budget.

And I did not want to go through the used guessing game again, but it may be all that is available at this time. I do like the 24K mile valve adjust interval on the Vs., but all the used of the Vs. have not move for a while. Maybe the obo's will be an opportunity.

This Sunday and Christmas eve may be my last shots at new before year end, so I'll have to start looking at used (as if I ever stopped, lol.)
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 01:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
It is the only New one I was considering because everything else is out of line for my budget.

And I did not want to go through the used guessing game again, but it may be all that is available at this time. I do like the 24K mile valve adjust interval on the Vs., but all the used of the Vs. have not move for a while. Maybe the obo's will be an opportunity.

This Sunday and Christmas eve may be my last shots at new before year end, so I'll have to start looking at used (as if I ever stopped, lol.)
I picked up an 07 FJR in January that had less than 15,000 miles on it for $6500.00 on Cycle Trader. It was a very well kept bike. Went with a used one over new to see if i liked it. Saved a ton of money and like it enough to keep it until the "One" gets here.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xvD...SSyPVjUdRIRZdQ

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 12-08-2014 at 01:35 PM.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I picked up an 07 FJR in January that had less than 15,000 miles on it for $6500.00 on Cycle Trader. It was a very well kept bike. Went with a used one over new to see if i liked it. Saved a ton of money and like it enough to keep it until the "One" gets here.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xvD...SSyPVjUdRIRZdQ
The most I'd save, except a couple of options (that I'd buy anyway) would be about $1500. But that is ok too. The Vs. offers smaller margins of gain on used, but that is why there may be so few used on the market and they stay on the market so long. But I like it for several reasons and think it as all round motorcycle as any available, and it goes fast too. Except for the seat and oscillation mid-range vibrations, it is near perfect (from observation only.) The seat is an easy fix I feel, and the vibes can be worked on in several ways.

But you are right, used may be the way to go. If it happens, it was meant to be so don't resist
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 03:10 PM

Garage
I've got a buddy in our area that is selling his 09. I sent him this thread. He's a member here too. He keeps he's bikes in good shape...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 03:34 PM

2009 Versys for sale

Hello I seen your troubles with all the stupid fees and taxes. I have a 2009 Green Versys I am looking to sell. It has been well taken care of, and has about 21K miles on the motor. The bike also has a maintenance package with it that is transferable for $150 if that hold value to you. I would split the transfer fee. There is 1.5 years left or 6 services, the bike has highway pegs, crash bars, hand guards, and a tall after market windscreen. New rubber less than 1 year old on front and back. If interested please contact me. I am in the Anaheim area.

Seth
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhere View Post
Hello I seen your troubles with all the stupid fees and taxes. I have a 2009 Green Versys I am looking to sell. It has been well taken care of, and has about 21K miles on the motor. The bike also has a maintenance package with it that is transferable for $150 if that hold value to you. I would split the transfer fee. There is 1.5 years left or 6 services, the bike has highway pegs, crash bars, hand guards, and a tall after market windscreen. New rubber less than 1 year old on front and back. If interested please contact me. I am in the Anaheim area.

Seth
Private Message sent
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 05:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Private Message sent

I see you've meet my buddy.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode