Just made the switch: Wee-strom to Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just made the switch: Wee-strom to Versys

Hello all. Yesterday I bought a sharp looking well farkled red 2008 Versys. My previous bike was a 2004 DL650 V-Strom. I loved the Strom but the Versys caught my eye since it first came to the States and I knew I would eventually have to get one. Well the time came and I am very pleased. I think the Versys will suit my needs better. I like the occasional long road trip, but mostly I like to carve up curvy roads on the weekend. The Wee-strom is like a truck in curves. The Versys feels much more agile. I look forward to soaking up all the Versys info this forum offers.

Last edited by Toad Rider; 02-17-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad Rider View Post
Hello all. Yesterday I bought a sharp looking well farkled red 2008 Versys. My previous bike was a 2004 DL650 V-Strom. I loved the Strom but the Versys caught my eye since it first came to the States and I knew I would eventually have to get one. Well the time came and I am very pleased. I think the Versys will suit my needs better. I like the occasional long road trip, but mostly I like to carve up curvy roads on the weekend. The Wee-strom is like a truck in curves. The Versys feels much more agile. I look forward to soaking up all the Versys info this forum offers.
Welcome to the world of the V, Toad Rider. Congrats!

David

I always come back from one of these trips with about 350 pictures of my bike - Ewan McGregor
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 02:49 PM

Welcome to the v forum, glad you enjoy the bike it is very fun.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 02:58 PM

You'd be surprised at how well the Versys will do out on the highway if you change the front sprocket to a 15 tooth. Makes a world of difference and you can still run the twisties like a banshee...........experience speaks here.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 03:11 PM

Awesome. Congrats. I pick mine up Friday. I'm in Atlanta also and debated between the Wee and the Versys
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdon View Post
You'd be surprised at how well the Versys will do out on the highway if you change the front sprocket to a 15 tooth. Makes a world of difference and you can still run the twisties like a banshee...........experience speaks here.
Well mine came farkled with a reduced tooth rear sprocket (26 to 24, I think). Does that have a similar effect? I was thinking of changing back to the stock sprocket.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 03:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to E-nigma
While I disagree about the DL650 handling like a truck, I do think the Versys handles the corners more easily.

I own a DL650, and my wife owns a Versys.

Now that I have the cowling buzz fixed on the Versys, I am grabbing the keys to it more than the DL650.

I still like the V-Strom better for everything but cornering. It's engine is smoother, it has better wind protection, and it has more room for my 6'1" frame.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-nigma View Post
While I disagree about the DL650 handling like a truck, I do think the Versys handles the corners more easily.

I own a DL650, and my wife owns a Versys.

Now that I have the cowling buzz fixed on the Versys, I am grabbing the keys to it more than the DL650.

I still like the V-Strom better for everything but cornering. It's engine is smoother, it has better wind protection, and it has more room for my 6'1" frame.
'Truck' may have been an exageration. The DL650 would smoke many other bikes on a curvy road. It is certainly capable, you just have to put some muscle into it. Moreso than you do the Versys.

I's selling my DL650 to my wife, so I'll still have it for comparison. On long trips I'll probably beg her to swap.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Well mine came farkled with a reduced tooth rear sprocket (26 to 24, I think). Does that have a similar effect? I was thinking of changing back to the stock sprocket.
Same effect if the rear has a 43 or 44 tooth instead of stock 46. Welcome Toad Rider!

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
That will do about the same thing but changing the front sprocket is cheaper. I'm all about cheap.......with quality that is!

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdon View Post
You mean from 15t to 16t front, 15t front is stock.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 10:09 PM

Yes welcome and enjoy the ride

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 10:12 AM

Awesome! Can you compare your thoughts after switching from the Strom? We're always interested to see what one thinks having ridden/owned both bikes.

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezix View Post
Awesome! Can you compare your thoughts after switching from the Strom? We're always interested to see what one thinks having ridden/owned both bikes.
I haven't had enough saddle time in the Versys yet to make a detailed comparison. I'll post my thoughts when I do. The Wee-Versys comparison is a frequent thread on many message boards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode