Options Help Please - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Options Help Please

Greetings,

I guess depending on the year model purchased, sources may change; but what it the best leads and/or parts for the best price on:

1. Heated grips (1" DIA preferably to reduce circulation problems),

2. Larger windshield (I'd love a Givi Air Flow option for my ears sake),

3. Inexpensive saddle bags or sissy bar options if there is one,

4. OEM CENTER STAND, please???

5. Is Fender Extender the longest mudflap possible (to avoid setting nails up for rear flats)?

THANKS GREATLY!
I hope to be riding a new (older year) Versys 650 with the first enhanced vibration system in the next couple of weeks (or sooner!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Greetings,

I guess depending on the year model purchased, sources may change; but what it the best leads and/or parts for the best price on:

Any grips slid onto a 7/8" bar are going to end up being at least 1" diameter. I would reccomend Oxfords, but they are a bit pricey. I would snoop around for any close outs on older models. They are pretty darn thick on a 78" bar.

How big are you looking for? Do you care about aesthetics? I like powerbronze, but the larger givi will give more cover.

Soft luggage is your friend but it won't be as secure.

Nope

5. Is Fender Extender the longest mudflap possible (to avoid setting nails up for rear flats)?
You can always make your own and it'll be as long as you'd like!

THANKS GREATLY!
I hope to be riding a new (older year) Versys 650 with the first enhanced vibration system in the next couple of weeks (or sooner!)
Hope that helps!

2014 Versys ABS
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Greetings,

#1.. I just installed a set of Symtec heaters. Piece of thin plastic sticky on one side with embedded heating elements . ~$40. This is about my 4th set of these heaters on various bikes over the past 10 years, they're cheap and work great, get very hot on high.

#3. used soft saddlebags. You can pick up a used set for a song if you keep yours eyes peeled. I bought a nice set this fall for $40 shipped. perfect condition.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
like others said , shop around , idk what kind of grip heaters i have (PO installed them)

i have the givi and am 95% happy far better then stock were wind punches me in the chest , 5% is that wind still hits the top of my helmet (i am slightly tall tho) and that my hand guards hit it at full lock., and also headphones or ear plugs might help save your hearing

back pack......

only on the 2014 as far as i know

yes/ no
you can always make it longer
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Welcome.

Soft bags, USED - cheap!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the heads up! This stuff with dual LOUD horns and crash bars is always the same things I have to get on any used or new bike. At least I'm getting pretty good at it by now. But it ALWAYS helps to ask the Experts with proven experience!

My last bike was a 1993 Honda Nighthawk, and parts were as cheap as possible (and no valve adjustments too.) Nice used models of those are getting fewer and fewer though, ha ha. It will be good to jump 20 years in technology and get a good handling bike again. My other bike in storage out of state is a BMW F650ST, and that is a good handling bike too (with older technology suspension.)

From my Value Engineering experience, the Vs. looks like a great bike. The Kaw shop today was filled with dusty Ninja's. I don't know the sales figures, but the Vs. seems like their 'Hot' bike for Kaw now. The 24K mile valve adjustment interval is as close to Honda Nighthawk's Hydraulic valves no-valve-adjustment as I'm going to get: except it handles much much better.

Thanks Again!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome.

1> AME are another recommended brand. Individual on-grip temperature control and the mid section of grip is fatter and more comfortable for larger hands.

2> Every one says Givi screens.... but if you are over 5'10" you need taller screen. Powerbronze is another but similar to Givi in size. California Science screens do come in larger sizes even surfboard size!, but I bought Madstad 20" Sports screen with infinately adjustable Robobrackets. Much better form me @ 6'4.5".

3> Just get a Rear Rack and Top box, or just strap a bag to it. Ventura do make a rack for the Versys. or get the Rear rack made by forum member KTMDuals.

4> There is NO OEM center stand for 650 model years 2007-2014 (Mk1-Mk2), until now with the 2015 Mk3 model. 2010-2014 Mk2 you can add the aftermarket SW-Motech center stand.

5> I just went with the Pyramid Extender - quite long and the mounting portion was large enough that screws were not needed and just I used 3M acrylic double sided tape to stick it on.

Last edited by Gigitt; 12-06-2014 at 05:49 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
Welcome.

1> AME are another recommended brand. Individual on-grip temperature control and the mid section of grip is fatter and more comfortable for larger hands.

2> Every one says Givi screens.... but if you are over 5'10" you need taller screen. Powerbronze is another but similar to Givi in size. California Science screens do come in larger sizes even surfboard size!, but I bought Madstad 20" Sports screen with infinately adjustable Robobrackets. Much better form me @ 6'4.5".

3> Just get a Rear Rack and Top box, or just strap a bag to it. Ventura do make a rack for the Versys. or get the Rear rack made by forum member KTMDuals.

4> There is NO OEM center stand for 650 model years 2007-2014 (Mk1-Mk2), until now with the 2015 Mk3 model. 2010-2014 Mk2 you can add the aftermarket SW-Motech center stand.

5> I just went with the Pyramid Extender - quite long and the mounting portion was large enough that screws were not needed and just I used 3M acrylic double sided tape to stick it on.
Good information! If your Pyramid Extender is not long as I'd like, I may get a plastic fender off Ebay for $20 to $50 and cut/bolt it on the front fender. Unless you ride on the right hand edge of the road, a low stiff front fender mudflap eliminates over 95% of the nail punctures. I can't afford to ride without my low stiff front extenders/mudflaps. When the front tire runs over a nail or screw, it stands it up for the rear tire to get punctured.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode