New Member Needs Year Model help! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Member Needs Year Model help!

Greetings,

I am in CA and looking at getting a new Versys 650 before year end 2014.

1. What year did they put vibration aids on footpegs and/or handlebars?

2. Are there any advantages of which year to get?

With dealer incentives (model, military Veteran, ...), it's almost cheaper buying it new than used. I would like the earliest years that the vibration aids were installed (that sounds like a golden investment!) The used bike market is a rip off generally speaking :-(

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 03:43 AM
MTS

?#1= Rubber on foot pegs in 2010. Handlebars not sure.

?#2= 2010+ also rubber mount on motor to lesson vibrations lights different config. 2014+ ABS brakes.

2015 lights different config.

All years great bikes. Awesome deals on used bikes also. Check CL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 09:42 AM

There are three generations of Versys:

2006-2009 MK1, solid mounted engine. I think all years were the same, save for a change in the master cylinder, can't recall when they changed it.

2010-2014 MK2, rear rubber mounts, hollow rubber footpegs. Suspension is the same, revised spring/damping. Same engine. ECU is updated, power characteristics remain the same.

2015+ MK3, all rubber mounts in the engine, rubber footpegs, rubber mounted handlebar, larger fuel tank (2 extra liters, a bit more than half US gallon), updated suspension, new brake calipers, and it finally shares the engine with the 2012+ Ninja 650.

They all are basically the same 2006 bikes with some updates. The hollow rubber footpegs can be mounted on the MK1, and I suspect that the handlebar setup of the MK3 will fit the MK1/2, but it's too early to tell.

In the US ABS is only available on 2014+ bikes, I sold my 2010 to get a 2014 with ABS. In theory you could install ABS on a bike without it, in the real world you're better off buying a bike with ABS, it's too freaking expensive.

Last edited by Süsser Tod; 12-05-2014 at 09:45 AM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! That is good information.

Forums indicate that 2011 and 2012 had incidents of overheated RS valves. 2015 is 'supposed' to be new engine rubber isolated pads (not all good from Norton 650 Commando experience.) Kawasaki's time to market makes me want to hold off on 2015's if they are having problems with too many new systems on the bike. Of course, it could be a marketing strategy to clear out all old year models. Who knows, but I usually expect the worse to stay on the statistical edge side.

I can get a new 2014 Vs. for $5K, maybe $4.5K with VA discount, but who knows what it all will be out the door. But it's a good start. The ONLY problem is the metallic green color I do not like, but for $2K off... I can get used to anything. But I really like the new white bike colors best (or anything except the metallic green.).

I've got a couple of leads going on new 2013 and 2014 models. It would be nice if I could just SIT ON ONE! In a couple of weeks scheduled, I finally will. I DID sit on a 2014 Suzuki DL650 today at a dealer. It was Nice! I liked the seat, but the Vs. had 10K miles longer valve adjustment intervals and a better handling inline engine design. I can get an effectively new DL650 for $6K (plus?), but the Vs. engine design is a more known product to me: although the DL650 quality may be a little superior (more mature product cycle). My first bike was a Kaw 400 triple new 41 years ago one day after I turned 16 y.o.! Popping wheelies again, lol.

Last edited by kawdog; 12-06-2014 at 10:47 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 11:41 AM

There is hardly anything "new" about the 2015, the engine has been used in the Ninja 650 since 2012.

As for "overheated RS valves":

1. Don't know what an RS valve is.
2. Engines have been exactly the same since 2006 all the way to 2014, only changes were to stator and clutch covers.

I really don't see anything you could be scared about in the 2015.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 09:35 PM

1. I happen to love the metallic snot color...
2. For the price your estimating, I'd definitely say run with it... ABS is totally worth it over purchasing used at near the same price point.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbleak21 View Post
1. I happen to love the metallic snot color...
2. For the price your estimating, I'd definitely say run with it... ABS is totally worth it over purchasing used at near the same price point.
I may love it too if I get a green metallic one (they give the best deals on that color), no offense please. I just don't want a sign on me saying "look at me." I'd rather have cars looking at the road instead of my bright metallic green paint job. It's bad enough on the road with all the multi-taskers in cages smoking, talking on cell phones, eating, texting, ...

I'm sorry for made an inappropriate response in my haste trying to find as good of deals as you can get on the green models on another color.

Just finding ANY color Vs. to sit on without making a 2 week long appointment would be great! Of course I'd buy one at the best price.

Last edited by kawdog; 12-06-2014 at 10:46 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
...I just don't want a sign on me saying "look at me." I'd rather have cars looking at the road instead of my bright metallic green paint job. It's bad enough on the road with all the multi-taskers in cages smoking, talking on cell phones, eating, texting, ... ...
On the other hand - I DO want a sign on me saying "look at me", which is why I've added LOTS of extra 'attention-getters' to both my Vs.

Ever notice that after hitting a motorcycle, the "cagers" almost always say ...
"I didn't see him!"

I also wear very bright colored gear and helmets... including hi-vis vests w/ reflective stipes.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

That's a good methodology. It's pulling in front of and hitting head on I'm primarily concerned with.

But people gawking at redlights and traffic just congests traffic up worse (for miles every day!!) and causes delays/accidents. In LA, traffic will be backed up for miles just for people gawking at wrecks (nothing spectacular) or cops pull someone over or even just a car pulled over on the side of the road! I have my dual horns to grab their attention if I need it (and it isn't 5' notice at 35 mph they are pulling in front of me.) No offense, but I could see miles of traffic backed up just looking at your bikes, ha ha - not really... well maybe LA expressways are that bad. I thought about oscillating lights, but they are probably illegal (and yeah, the gawkers would stop traffic freaking out about them too - maybe they are taking pics -??)

Last edited by kawdog; 12-07-2014 at 03:12 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
That's a good methodology. It's pulling in front of and hitting head on I'm primarily concerned with.

But people gawking at redlights and traffic just congests traffic up worse (for miles every day!!) and causes delays/accidents. In LA, traffic will be backed up for miles just for people gawking at wrecks (nothing spectacular) or cops pull someone over or even just a car pulled over on the side of the road! I have my dual horns to grab their attention if I need it (and it isn't 5' notice at 35 mph they are pulling in front of me.) No offense, but I could see miles of traffic backed up just looking at your bikes, ha ha - not really... well maybe LA expressways are that bad. I thought about oscillating lights, but they are probably illegal (and yeah, the gawkers would stop traffic freaking out about them too - maybe they are taking pics -??)

The Versys is a great little bike for Los Angeles traffic.....http://youtu.be/_NzTWnQ_u5o?t=1m47s

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
People do the "looky-lou" at accidents, etc, WHEREVER you are.

I just want them to see me (I'll NEVER have a black bike, helmet, or riding gear).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode