New (8/2013) & Back today (11/14) :0) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New (8/2013) & Back today (11/14) :0)

Greetings!

My first Kawasaki was back in the early 70s. Lived in San Diego. Rode it a lot. I think it was a 400. White and Orange. Loved that bike! :-) ... "Responsibility" took over (newly born son: 1970) and sold the bike (1972). ... sigh ...

Fast forward to 2012. That son, now 44, bought an '86 Honda 600XL early 2012. I followed suit soon December 2012 (hey! Why's he having all the fun?!) with an '85 Honda 600XL. We rode together (thumpers are NOT comfortable on the streets/highways!) and he tinkered on both our bikes. ... We both upgraded in August 2013 (he: 2009 BMW F650; me: 2011 Versys 650). Thus the subject of my post "New (8/2013) & Back today (11/14)"

So, here I am, following his lead (Again!), trying to replace the OEM headlight BULBS with HID BULBS (he's put them into his F650) and not having much success. Thus, I returned to the fold (forum.)

Basically, I wanted to say THANKS to THREE members (for their posts; see below.) BUT, when I tried to post/reply to their thread, I was referred to the "rules" of having to post two times, and have them accepted/acceptable, in the New Members section before I could reply to any thread.

MY POST NUMBER ONE OF TWO:

THANK YOU #1: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...lies/thanx.gif stlee29! for providing a set of manuals (which I downloaded for close-up, printed pages to help me). Unfortunately they didn't quite give me the best pictures (I think they're for the pre-2011 Versys.) There's something missing in what I want to do. So ... back to Stlee29's post.

THANK YOU #2: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...lies/thanx.gif Capn Kirk! for providing an updated, 2010 Kawasaki Owners Manual. Just downloaded that one. Nice! ...

And, I realize I'm also learning nomenclature: I have the "Owners Manual" and that's quite rudimentary. What I truly need is a Service Manual. ... a bit more reading and I see someone found one on eBay. ... So, I looked there for a steal. Nothing yet. ... But, I also used Google. BINGO!

THANK YOU #3: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...lies/thanx.gif TowerMan! :-)) for this: "VERSYS KLE650 2010 2011 SERVICE MANUAL"

Now I'm going back to the garage and see how far I can get with swapping the factory headlight bulbs with the HID bulbs.

NOW ---
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...s/feedback.gif ... has anyone replaced their OEM bulbs with HID bulbs? It looks to be not a simple swap out! ... ANY HELP / IDEAS to offer?

Thank you!

PaisanoGlen

Last edited by paisanoglen; 11-14-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 09:58 PM

Welcome! Sounds like a great activity for you and your now 44 year old son to do together...

I can't really help out with the HID thing other than to say folks have tried and/or done it here. I'm sure there are some threads and a little searching ought to turn them up. If I recall correctly you'll get the same beam pattern as the stock headlights, so if you're looking for that great wide beam pattern with a sharp cutoff that many HID lights have, you may not get it. You may have to change out the reflector too for that. To be honest though, I don't really know as I've never tried myself, but certainly it's been done and certainly others with actual experience will chime in...

Do keep us posted on the progress!

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 06:22 AM
MTS

How cool you have a good relationship with your son and enjoy riding together!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyMan View Post
Welcome! Sounds like a great activity for you and your now 44 year old son to do together...

I can't really help out with the HID thing other than to say folks have tried and/or done it here. I'm sure there are some threads and a little searching ought to turn them up. If I recall correctly you'll get the same beam pattern as the stock headlights, so if you're looking for that great wide beam pattern with a sharp cutoff that many HID lights have, you may not get it. You may have to change out the reflector too for that. To be honest though, I don't really know as I've never tried myself, but certainly it's been done and certainly others with actual experience will chime in...

Do keep us posted on the progress!
Thanks for the info, BaileyMan (re "you'll get the same beam pattern as the stock headlights") ... I'll let you (the community) know as soon as I get them installed.

And, yes, this father-son activity has been a significant catalyst to making our relationship a shared life and activity. He's the one who leads me in this m/c activity - including recommendations for m/c-related gear & activities. He's still an expensive kid to me, but in a different way. I like how he suggests places to go and things to do relative to our bikes. His ideas about riding/travel/"Hey, dad, how about we?": Intra- and interstate, cross continental, intercontinental jaunts/vacations! ... it's all good!

PaisanoGlen
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Welcome
Thanks, Kiwi 1.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post

How cool you have a good relationship with your son and enjoy riding together!
MTS, thanks!! Yes, it is COOL, to be sure. Very cool.

We've worked hard (and it was hard for a while; a long while) and we're doing nicely. Thanks again for your comment/recognition.

Take care,

PaisanoGlen
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, Weljo2001!!! Glad to be here. ... A very nice set of "Welcome-ing" from this forum/community.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

...from sunny AZ!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 03:19 PM

personally not a fan of HID unless it is a reflector designed for HID. I went LED and have been really happy with that route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2011 versys 650, headlight mod, hid bulbs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode