New member - future Versys owner? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New member - future Versys owner?

Hi all.

A little about me - I took up riding last year and I'm in my early 40's. I started out on a used 2012 Honda CBR250R just to see if motorcycling was really for me - I've subsequently put several thousand KM's on my bike and can safely say that riding has become a passion. Given that I know that this isn't a passing 'fad', I am on the lookout for my first 'real' bike!

I have always been a fan of the Versys but never really liked the look (sorry if that offends...). With the 2015, the look is just about perfect and that puts it right at or near the top of my list.

I'm looking for a bike that is still 'flickable', fun to ride on the twisties but allows me to finally feel comfortable on the highway and doesn't make me feel like a parachute when there's any sort of wind (my CBR was AWFUL in the wind and seriously underpowered when speed hit anything over 100KM/h).

My options are - 2015 Versys 650; Honda CB500X; VStrom 650. Any advice from people that have ridden those is welcome!

Oh - I'm 6'0" which meant that my little 250 was CRAMPED! Made long rides a real pain...and I love long rides regardless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
to a great forum. I can't talk about the Honda (except that it has the smallest engine of those you mentioned). If you're interested in flickability the Versys will appeal more than the Wee Strom. In my opinion the Suzuki is a more stable platform however it feels bigger and heavier than the V. Both were on my short list and the Versys won after a test ride. I'm just under six feet and around 200 pounds and I find the Versys comfortable on the highways even at speeds well North of the speed limit. Did I say that out loud?

And I agree with you about the looks of the 2015 model. It no longer looks like it has some dreadful nose malady. I believe I'll have to consider it seriously.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 11-09-2014 at 12:16 PM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Rode mine all over the twisties in Southern California. Rode it from Texas to Cali. Handles highway and canyons very well...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 03:08 PM

I have no experience with the 500cc Honda, not sold here, but I have plenty of experience with the Wee Strom and Versys. The Wee is more refined and more comfortable for long distances, not that the Versys isn't, but the Wee does have an edge there. The Wee's engine is a gem, very little vibration, makes more power than the Versys and uses less fuel. On the other hand the Versys is, and feels, lighter, the engine feels more lively and the geometry and shorter wheelbase makes it a riot. Versys is much more flickable, suspension is firm and leaps and bounds better than the craptastic suspension o the Wee.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

The Honda will probably be TOO low on power, while (like said...) the 'Wee' Strom is rather ponderous.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post

The Honda will probably be TOO low on power, while (like said...) the 'Wee' Strom is rather ponderous.

Ponderous - a very good word to describe the Wee. If I give credit, can I use it?

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome from way down under
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 05:57 PM

I had a Wee Strom before my 650 versys and just couldn't get to like it. Sold it after a year and maybe 2000 kms. Ended up buying the Versys and couldn't keep off of it, way more fun to ride and much better power band for me anyways.
I'm 6'1 and it has good room especially if you add the Motowerk peg lowering blocks.

2013 Versys1000
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 08:30 PM

Welcome from Barrhaven! I've had my '08 since 2009, and I love it. Only thing I wish it had was ABS...my next Versys will have that.

I'm also 6', and I have a 32" inseam. While I'm sure the CBR250 was cramped, I also found the V was also a but cramped between the seat and the peg. The lowering blocks from Speedy (Motowerk) are worth their weight in gold. Seriously. I don't know what the 2015 will be like, but for the earlier models, they are a must-have.

I can't provide an opinion on the other bikes, or even on the 2015 Versys. What I can tell you is that the Versys has been the most enjoyable bike I've owned to date, and I love it.

Cheers,
Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Welcome from Barrhaven! I've had my '08 since 2009, and I love it. Only thing I wish it had was ABS...my next Versys will have that.

I'm also 6', and I have a 32" inseam. While I'm sure the CBR250 was cramped, I also found the V was also a but cramped between the seat and the peg. The lowering blocks from Speedy (Motowerk) are worth their weight in gold. Seriously. I don't know what the 2015 will be like, but for the earlier models, they are a must-have.

I can't provide an opinion on the other bikes, or even on the 2015 Versys. What I can tell you is that the Versys has been the most enjoyable bike I've owned to date, and I love it.

Cheers,
Dave C
Thanks to all who have provided me with a warm welcome - especially to the one who could very well be my neighbor - I too am in Barrhaven!

Like most have already noted, the Versys appears to offer everything that I'm looking for in my next bike. The Wee is much bigger (at least it feels that way when I sit on the two) and the Honda, while extremely comfortable, would probably leave me wanting for power after a few months of riding.

The Honda is an option now because of it's price-point. I'm a sucker for buying things that offer more value than their price and, with it's $2K+ cheaper price-tag, the Honda meets that criteria. That said, this will be my bike for many years to come and I don't want to have that twinge of regret when I twist the throttle at 100KM and find the bike struggling to get to passing speed. For that reason, the Versys is first on my list.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 09:25 AM

for value its hard to beat a used versys
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 09:28 AM
MTS

V has high fun factor!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
welcome to the club be glad you started on the cbr and not a ninja 250 xD im 6'2 and was somewhat conferrable on the cbr , ninja i was kneeing my elbows and back was bent like a pretzel ,
i also didnt like the V front end when i was looking at pictures of it but now that i own one to be honest i love it over the more standard side by side lights, doesnt look like you have a bulb out and centers the light better..
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
welcome to the club be glad you started on the cbr and not a ninja 250 xD im 6'2 and was somewhat conferrable on the cbr , ninja i was kneeing my elbows and back was bent like a pretzel ,
i also didnt like the V front end when i was looking at pictures of it but now that i own one to be honest i love it over the more standard side by side lights, doesnt look like you have a bulb out and centers the light better..
In addition to the lack of leg-room, the reach to the bars on the Honda was such that it put my upper body in an awkward position where my neck would get very tired during longer rides - hence the push towards the upright adventure bikes.

I realize that buying new is a bit of a fools-game -- especially considering the fact that the price of a '13 or '14 should drop quite a bit with the new model hitting the floor but, I love the look of the '15 and I'll be honest, there is a part of me that wants that feeling of being the one and only person to have ridden my next bike. At any rate, I won't pull the trigger until spring so there will be time to see if I can't find that un-passable deal that blows me away.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithfromCanada View Post
In addition to the lack of leg-room, the reach to the bars on the Honda was such that it put my upper body in an awkward position where my neck would get very tired during longer rides - hence the push towards the upright adventure bikes.

I realize that buying new is a bit of a fools-game -- especially considering the fact that the price of a '13 or '14 should drop quite a bit with the new model hitting the floor but, I love the look of the '15 and I'll be honest, there is a part of me that wants that feeling of being the one and only person to have ridden my next bike. At any rate, I won't pull the trigger until spring so there will be time to see if I can't find that un-passable deal that blows me away.
cramped knees , bent back, sore a$$, and kinked neck are just part of riding a "sport" bike, an adventure or touring bike is were you can have a bit of sportness but be more upright like a cruiser or duel sport
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
cramped knees , bent back, sore a$$, and kinked neck are just part of riding a "sport" bike, an adventure or touring bike is were you can have a bit of sportness but be more upright like a cruiser or duel sport
Oh yeah...I forgot about the sore a$$ factor - the seat on my CBR is like a piece of plywood! I honestly prayed to catch red lights at the tail end of a charity ride I did this past summer just so I could stand up and give my backside a 10 second reprieve!
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh...the one other thing - cramped throttle and clutch hands. Wringing out a 250 trying to keep pace with bigger bikes is a workout and a half. I will say this - I am now a master at shifting through the gearbox!
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Ponderous - a very good word to describe the Wee. If I give credit, can I use it?
Hell, Arion - at MY (our???) age I can't even remember what it was I said....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-COASTER View Post
I had a Wee Strom before my 650 versys and just couldn't get to like it. Sold it after a year and maybe 2000 kms. Ended up buying the Versys and couldn't keep off of it, way more fun to ride and much better power band for me anyways.
I'm 6'1 and it has good room especially if you add the Motowerk peg lowering blocks.
I added the Motowerk lowering pegs as well as an after market seat and highway riding pegs. Much more comfy on longer rides. Of course...a great bike!

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithfromCanada View Post
Thanks to all who have provided me with a warm welcome - especially to the one who could very well be my neighbor - I too am in Barrhaven!
Send me a PM in the spring. My bike has Speedy's handlebar risers and lowering blocks. If you want to get a feel for how comfortable the V could be, you're welcome to drop by and look it over once it is out of storage.

I'm going to hate winter...

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode