Anybody with inseam 30" moved from low-seat cruiser to Versys? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anybody with inseam 30" moved from low-seat cruiser to Versys?

Waiting for December Motorcycle Show in NYC. Want to check both, 650 and 1000, to see which one feels better and make my decision after that. I have Honda VTX 1300 now, kinda heavy for the city parking and traffic riding. Though my inseam is only 30" I hope Versys will be OK, but I'm used to flat foot with Honda, so, not sure how it will feel...
Has anybody else with inseam 30 moved from low-seat cruiser to Versys? How did it feel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 10:28 PM

Flat footin

I have a 30" inseam and moved from a Suzuki Volusia to a Honda ST1300 and then added the Versys. It's nice to be able to flat-foot a bike but I'm fine with the higher saddle height as long as the weight is manageable. The ST is too heavy (for me) but I still enjoy the bike. I find myself moving to smaller displacement and lighter machines. The heavy Honda will be sold and I'll keep the Versys and any future purchases will be smaller and lighter. I have the lowering kit on my Versys. I also don't want a bike that I can't stand up on the pegs and stretch my legs and get the blood moving in my butt if it goes numb.
YMMV
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 10:39 PM

Yep!

i'm 5'7 with a 30" inseam

Went from a C50T to the Versys (still stock) and I love it. You have to get used to it, of course. And lowering kits are available from motowerks, but I haven't had the need to put them on personally.

Got my versys today! (may 24 2014) In kawi green!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 05:45 AM

this might help.
www.cycle-ergo.com
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 06:56 AM

Garage
I'm a 30/31 inseam. Came off a Ninja 250 and onto the Versys. I felt like I was sitting on a bar stool at first and the ride home from the dealer made me question my decision. But, it didn't take long to get adjusted to the height and positioning at stops. After just a few weeks I was more than comfortable with the bike. Glad I didn't lower it as I really like the ride position in traffic.

I do still need to plan ahead when parking as I really can't back up hill very well, but nothing else is a problem at all.

Always trust your cape.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 09:50 AM

I'm also thinking about the 2015 Versys 1000; I'm 5'7" with 29.5-30" inseam. I sat on the 2015 1000 and 650 during the AIM Expo in Orlando a couple of weeks ago.

What I can tell you from my experience is that if you want to ride 2-up, take heed as the 1000 is "tall" and can cause challenges when the passenger is getting on the bike. Due to this (my wife hopped on at show), I've been trying to determine if the 2015 1000 will offer a low seat as previously on the 1000 and 650. The 2015 1000 press release lists a "gel seat" while the 2015 650 press release specifically has "low gel seat".

If the 2015 Versys 1000 has a low gel seat that lowers the rider by 50mm (~1.9") as previously then I would not even think about lowering the bike because I feel the low seat will get me close enough to the ground and secondly I'm not a fan to lower a bike and then have to cut the side-stand.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407guy View Post
The 2015 1000 press release lists a "gel seat" while the 2015 650 press release specifically has "low gel seat".

If the 2015 Versys 1000 has a low gel seat that lowers the rider by 50mm (~1.9") as previously then I would not even think about lowering the bike because I feel the low seat will get me close enough to the ground and secondly I'm not a fan to lower a bike and then have to cut the side-stand.
Thanks. This is very interesting input. Were you able to find out during Expo whether "Gel Seat" is in fact a lower seat?
BTW, lowering 2015 models will be a challenge, because they have a center stand. You can cut shorter side stand, but not the center stand. And since frame of the bike will be almost 2 inches closer to the ground, you will have very hard time using center stand then.

Last edited by Nick13; 10-29-2014 at 12:15 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olegeezer View Post
I have the lowering kit on my Versys. I also don't want a bike that I can't stand up on the pegs and stretch my legs and get the blood moving in my butt if it goes numb.
YMMV
In 2015 models, they install a center stand. So, if I use lowering kit, then I'll need to saw off the side stand shorter, BUT the center stand will be a problem as it will be very difficult to use, since frame of bike will be closer to the ground...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick13 View Post
Thanks. This is very interesting input. Were you able to find out during Expo whether "Gel Seat" is in fact a lower seat?
BTW, lowering 2015 models will be a challenge, because they have a center stand. You can cut shorter side stand, but not the center stand. And since frame of the bike will be almost 2 inches closer to the ground, you will have very hard time using center stand then.
Good point on the center stand. Did not think of that.

Nothing yet on any type of low seat for the Versys 1000. Admittedly I did not ask during the Expo but have reached out to Kawasaki USA via their online form but have not heard back (been over a week). I did send an email to a local dealer and asked if they had any information too. Still nothing.

However, there seems to be little information on the 2015 and since you cannot even buy one right now anyway I'm okay with that. I'll be patient since there's really nothing I can do at this point. (Plus it gives me more time to consider other bikes. )
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 02:00 PM

Not a cruiser but I went directly from a CB350 (1972) to the Versys. I buy pants with a 30" inseam but am beginning to question that. I'm 6'0" but must have short legs, never thought so but... Do I wear high waders...huummm?

Anyway I have no problem with my feet and the ground with the versys. As far as I know it is still at stock height but I'm not the first owner so who knows.

David
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 07:46 PM

Garage
Did anyone question Speedy Gonzalez, at Motowerk,to see if he was going to make some sort of lowering foot for the new bike? He might be on it or waiting to get hold of one to measure and fabricate something.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 10:41 PM

Lowered

I did the Motowerk's lowering on mine and its perfect. Very happy with the stance and the ride . I am 5'8'' with 31" inseam and I can flat foot both feet now.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Sleighman; 10-29-2014 at 10:45 PM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleighman View Post
I did the Motowerk's lowering on mine and its perfect. Very happy with the stance and the ride . I am 5'8'' with 31" inseam and I can flat foot both feet now.
Thanks for the info. BTW, lowering 2015 models will be a challenge, because now they have a center stand.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 10:32 PM

30-inch inseam?? I'd be in heaven. I have a 28" inseam, and my 2008 Versys has the lowering link and the low gel seat. Do I drop the bike? Hell, yes. Do I care? Hell, no. I deeply admire the sturdiness of my Givi sidecases, though.

Nowadays, I probably wouldn't lower a new Versys, at least not right away. I would, however, get a custom seat. (Even the low gel seat needs an Airhawk to go cross-country. Or more than an hour.) I would look to Spencer, Russell or Bill Mayer--makers that want to see me on the bike. BTW, Kawasaki charged extra for the low seat--getting a custom will not be much, if any, more.

My 2, obviously. Also, I'm a 51-yr-old female with chronic bursitis of the hip--so my strength is not likely to be on par with any of you guys. Good luck, and let us know what you get!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 03:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick13 View Post
Thanks for the info. BTW, lowering 2015 models will be a challenge, because now they have a center stand.
Only the 1000, not the 650
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej View Post
Did anyone question Speedy Gonzalez, at Motowerk,to see if he was going to make some sort of lowering foot for the new bike? He might be on it or waiting to get hold of one to measure and fabricate something.
I sent Motowerks a note on lowering kits for the 2015 650s. They replied that they'd have more info in late December. I'd guess they're waiting for a test platform...

IBA 12512
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode