Pacific Northwest - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Pacific Northwest

Hi,

My name is Khanh. I have been away from riding for 9 years, about the same time when I started a family. Now that there is no plan of having more kids, after three girls, the riding itch is getting stronger.

I don't own a V, yet, but know of it for while. I feel it fits my riding personality well. In fact, I would say the best fit--physically, emotionally, and functionally.

I live in Surrey, which is half an hour below Vancouver, Canada.

Looking forward to the day when I own a V. In the meantime, I have learned so much from this forum and I have lived through your good times with your postings.

Have a great day, everyone!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox

the V is a great bike, really friendly on the back and knees
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post

the V is a great bike, really friendly on the back and knees
silviefox, exactly why I like it. As well, because I would like to visit my brother in Beaverton and do the Oregon Coast riding the V.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 12:16 PM

I first told myself I wasn't going to buy the Versys I was looking at. The owner allowed me to test ride it for half an hour... I couldn't resist taking the offer right after I swung my legs off the motorcycle.

And welcome to the forum!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 04:48 PM

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Gents, I appreciate the hospitality shown to me.

At the moment, I am looking at an 08 V. It looks fine cosmetically. It has an after market screen, hard top box, and side stand pad. Pretty much a stock looking bike. What I am most concerned is it has 77000kms. The first lady owner did two trips to California. The second and current lady owner used it for local commute. It is currently not being ridden. The tires have about 10000km, the alternator is new, and the battery is new. I have yet to test ride the bike. No records of maintenance to verify the bike's history. Asking price is $3200.

The price is very attractive since I don't have a big budget. Owning a bike at the moment is a want, not a need, yet. Other similar bikes with lower kms around here are between $4k to $5.5k. Newer bikes with attractive farkles and low kms are never below $6.

I don't want to spend anymore than $4k total, including purchase cost, taxes, insurance, and maintenance. Insurance for half a year with decent coverage is about $500. Taxes is 12% of purchase price. This means, if I get the bike at around $2500, I have about $700 to spent. $300 is for pants and boots. $400 is for maintenance.

At 77000kms, what particular maintenance should an owner do if there is only $400 to spend on a bike without maintenance records? I understand this is a hard question to answer because you do not know the bike's condition. I just want to know the recommended maintenance. For sure an oil and filter change. Chain and sprockets and tires are next. Any money left will be for a louder horn, mirror extenders, and crash guards. I plan to do all the maintenance myself, unless it requires expert qualifications.

Do you think this is doable?

P.S. Some of the for sale Vs advertised in this forum are really good deals. It's too bad that I am not nearby any of them.

Last edited by tikon; 10-27-2014 at 02:26 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 03:00 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
you're talking kilometers..so are you also talking canadian dollars? at around 47,000 miles I would say 3,200 bucks is a lot..but then I don't live in Canada...6,200 plus mikes on the tires (without actually looking at them) are ripe for replacement sooner rather than later...I'd seriously consider a bus/plane trip to pick up a bike stateside..seems like you should get a better deal...heck have your brother pick one up for you down here...lots of very low mileage V's down here stateside...drop a line in forum when you get/or going to be in beaverton..I know some of the best roads to the coast...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
you're talking kilometers..so are you also talking canadian dollars? at around 47,000 miles I would say 3,200 bucks is a lot..but then I don't live in Canada...6,200 plus mikes on the tires (without actually looking at them) are ripe for replacement sooner rather than later...I'd seriously consider a bus/plane trip to pick up a bike stateside..seems like you should get a better deal...heck have your brother pick one up for you down here...lots of very low mileage V's down here stateside...drop a line in forum when you get/or going to be in beaverton..I know some of the best roads to the coast...
Yes, I am talking Canadian dollars.

I have considered this option. What stopping me are the exhange rate, not being able to check the bike out in person, and the cost of importing it. I remember I once did a quick calculation and I concluded that the savings were not that much.

I sure will give you a head up if I ever made it down there with a V.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikon View Post
silviefox, exactly why I like it. As well, because I would like to visit my brother in Beaverton and do the Oregon Coast riding the V.
well if you do hit me up can have a V meet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode