What if it pulls my arms right the hell OFF?! :) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What if it pulls my arms right the hell OFF?! :)

I somehow arrived at a place where I took up street riding later in life, but rode trail bikes as a kid. Let's not say I had a "mid-life-crisis"; there really was and is no crisis. Let's say I became "mature enough to appreciate the joy of riding" a bit later (maybe wiser?) in life than most. I got my moto licence, and I have been riding a ZZR 250 for 3 years (it's like a Ninja 250 with better fairings/brakes/tires -- not sold in the US). I had ridden the 650r during Kawasaki "demo days" a couple of years back, and having sold the 250 last summer, recently bought a used 2008 Versys after much shopping around (mostly for the 650r -- used Versyses (sp?) just don't seem to exist around here).

I have only ridden the thing for a couple of hours (on a day permit -- too cold/rainy to justify insuring and riding for a few more weeks around here), but I fear for my arms -- they are gonna to be pulled from their sockets by this thing.

How the hell does anyone actually ride a 160hp literbike? Like, how do you physically hang on to the thing? I read a bunch of stuff on the Versys (and the 650r) when I was thinking about new bikes, and they were both described as "peppy", and "snappy" and the like. Mother of God, who can ride anything much bloody "peppier" without having their limbs torn asunder, or being dumped unceremoniously off the back of the thing?

Maybe I just spent too much time on the old 250 pea scooter... I am sure I will adjust. Thanks to all who contribute to this site, and the PDF download of the factory service manual is fantastic. I am changing plugs/cleaning the air filter today, built myself a swingarm stand, and have been sanding the flat spot out of the back tire (don't ask/warn/hassle me about this -- it is already done, and it worked great).

I put about 15000km (mostly commuting and short day rides) on the 250 in three years, and hope to ride twice that now that I can more easily add some touring trips. The used '08 I bought has the Givi hard bags, will soon have new tires and all that I need now is some better weather. I will ride to work on the thing as well every day that I can, gotta pay for all this junk somehow!

Last edited by jeeper; 01-24-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 09:11 AM

Jeeper, I think I can empathize with you. This is my first bike (if you don't count the moped I rode when I was 17 . . . 37 years ago!!). I scared the CRAP out of myself the other day on the way home by pulling out of a grocery store parking lot and obviously losing my concentration. My only thoughts (probably in no particular order . . . or possibly simultaneoushly) were "Uh, isn't the front wheel supposed to be on the ground, too?", "OH, SH!Z!!!", and "Slow DOWN!! Slow DOWN!! NO, not the front brake!! The front tire isn't on the ground, dipsh!z!!!". I expect there were probably other thoughts running through my head at the time, as well. Most of them I don't remember and I'm sure some of them aren't fit for mixed company.

I finally came to my senses and realized the best way to fix this was probably to throttle back. Easier said than done, however. Did you ever notice how, when you're leaning back on the bike and you have your hand on the throttle, you have a tendency to accellerate? Which makes you lean back!! Which makes you accellerate?!? It's an interesting paradox, really. Fortunately, there wasn't anyone in front of me - in either of the lanes or the gore that I crossed.

What I find most curious is that there are people who actually TRY (and succeed admirably, I might add) to get a bike to do this. 'course, they're probably much younger and more fit than me and they have the advantage knowing that it's a PLANNED process rather than a surprise.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 03:07 PM

Just be very glad and grateful that your front wheel came back down without spilling your guts all over the tarmack. You guys will both get used to the feel of your bikes in time. I've ridden everything from 250's to an 1100ZRX and I have to say it was an old 70'd RD350 that scared me the most. Totally unpredictable. These things have a good amount of Umph, to be sure, but it's pretty controllable once you get in the groove of it.

chris

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 03:22 PM

Wow, well I guess if I was used to a 250 I'd think the V had a ton of power. This is my first bike, so far I thinks its pretty smooth. Just keep riding and getting used to it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 03:38 PM

I can promise you, that with experience, you can/could feel totally comfortable on a literbike. There truly isn't anything that can get your heart pumping like one. However, after years of owning one and many trackdays, I am having as much fun with my WR250X as I was with my ZX10. So, since I wasn't planning any more trackdays, I decided to get a Versys for backroads touring.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 11:57 AM

Garage
jeeper

I'm also new to riding
I just sold my klr and bought a Versys
After the first season of riding, my articulations in the shoulder area are still sore, even after 3 or 4 months of rest
I too wondered how could they stayed on those rocket
And I finally think that I have an answer for that

The main difference is that they are crouched on their bike and the "pull" on the shoulder is far less then that on a bike like de V or the KLR, where as we are seated more upright and have to hold on the handle bar not to fall back

That's my 2 cents ...

Ciao jeeper

LOP
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
The main difference is that they are crouched on their bike and the "pull" on the shoulder is far less then that on a bike like de V or the KLR, where as we are seated more upright and have to hold on the handle bar not to fall back
Actually, on a sportbike you shouldn't be using your arms to support your body at all. You should be supporting your body with your core, and gripping the tank between your knees. This lets you keep your arms bent and loose, only using them for steering inputs. Same reason you have a seatbelt in a car, so that you're not worrying about supporting your body moving around with the steering wheel

When you're REALLY getting on the gas, your body has several points of contact with the bike, so it still doesn't put huge pressure on any one part. Back of the seat, the tank, handlebars, and foot pegs. Since the pegs are high and back, your feet don't sit flat on top of the pegs. You can almost "stand" on the pegs as they are being propelled forward.

Current: 2008 Ducati 1098, 2009 Kawasaki Versys, 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2006 Mazda MX-5

Previous: 04 GSXR600, 03 CBR600RR, 00 R6, 08 Ninja 250R, 05 Ninja 250R

Last edited by LessPeople_MoreRobots; 01-25-2010 at 12:17 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 01:17 PM

There it is LPMR, With being locked into the bike with your lower body you can manage smooootthhh throtle control, roll on & roll off. If your getting arm pump your doing somthing wrong.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Uh, yeah. You guys are taking me way too seriously.

My arms aren't really sore, and they probably won't really be pulled "right the hell off". I was just introducing myself and commenting on how quick the bike is compared to what I expected. I have ridden "literbikes" (although it was a GPZ1100 20 years ago -- not exactly the same as now ), and I know that modern bikes are fast fast fast (almost like my old 340 4-speed Dodge Dart with the 4.10 sure-grip -- see moparholic signature).

I am just not used to the thrust that is instantly on tap with this bike. I will get used to having more than the 25 or so hp my 250 pumped out (on a good day and only at 14000rpm... ).

Great board, all, and thanks again!

recovering moparholic
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 11:19 PM

As crazy as it sounds, the GPZ 1100's of the 80's were only a tiny bit faster in the 1/4 mile than the Versys. They ran high 11's and the Versys can run low 12's. The modern literbikes, from about 2004 forward (if you are including all of them), are a profoundly different animal. By the way, from one newbie to the sight to another, welcome!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 12:23 AM

Hey Jeeper, you just made my day...Without a doubt, the funniest thread I've read in awhile
Just a tip: If you want to go into "Haul Ass" mode. Use your stomach muscles to push your upper body forward a tad...That'll keep the hands relaxed so you don't flying off into the bushes and all the other good tips the guys posted up
Good ridin on the V, its the big fun

Hey Doink...The Rd was wicked for sure, but there was the badass H1 that had em all beat for unpredictability

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 08:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LessPeople_MoreRobots View Post
Actually, on a sportbike you shouldn't be using your arms to support your body at all. You should be supporting your body with your core, and gripping the tank between your knees. This lets you keep your arms bent and loose, only using them for steering inputs. Same reason you have a seatbelt in a car, so that you're not worrying about supporting your body moving around with the steering wheel

When you're REALLY getting on the gas, your body has several points of contact with the bike, so it still doesn't put huge pressure on any one part. Back of the seat, the tank, handlebars, and foot pegs. Since the pegs are high and back, your feet don't sit flat on top of the pegs. You can almost "stand" on the pegs as they are being propelled forward.

Guess I wasn't clear, but you explained up what I wanted to say ...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 08:44 AM

I gothca.

Yea, like the CBR1000, can't imagine how fricken fast that puppy is. To fast for me, I'd have bookoo speeding tickets if I had one of those.

My buddy has an old CBX that he put a turbo on. I rode it once, scary fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode