Greetings from Afghanistan! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Greetings from Afghanistan!

I'm in Kabul now, but I will return to the USA in November 2014.

I'm in the market for a 2012-2015 Versys 650 ABS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Question 2012-2014 Versys 650 ABS or wait for the 2015 model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trill View Post
I'm in Kabul now, but I will return to the USA in November 2014.

I'm in the market for a 2012-2015 Versys 650 ABS.
Are the upgrades on the 2015 Versys 650 worth purchasing a new bike or should I go ahead and get one of the 2012-2014 models?
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 07:18 AM

Hi Trill,

Welcome!

I was in the same boat as you since the '15s were announced a couple days before I pulled the trigger on my V. It is my understanding that it will be a while before 15s start showing up in dealers and I have not seen a published release date. I decided that I wanted my V now and not wiling to wait for an uncertain date. Your situation may be different.

If ABS is a must for you than you're looking exclusively at 2014s since it was not offered in the US on previous model years in the US.

Hope that helps.

Greg

2014 Kawasaki Versys
2000 Honda Rebel 250

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Mostly Commuting and Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripFTW View Post
Hi Trill,

Welcome!

I was in the same boat as you since the '15s were announced a couple days before I pulled the trigger on my V. It is my understanding that it will be a while before 15s start showing up in dealers and I have not seen a published release date. I decided that I wanted my V now and not wiling to wait for an uncertain date. Your situation may be different.

If ABS is a must for you than you're looking exclusively at 2014s since it was not offered in the US on previous model years in the US.

Hope that helps.

Greg
Greg,

Thank you for your detailed posts. I'm still in the market for a 2012-2015 Versys 650. Where can I find the best information on why I should get a new 2013-2014 Versys now, a preowned 2012 Versys, or wait for the 2015 Versys 650?

I plan on using the bike on paved roads 95% of the time. So, I prefer ABS, but it is not essential. I do plan on riding year round.

I like the solar yellow of the 2012 models. The yellow of the 2015 model looks interesting. I could go with white and have it custom painted.

Specifically, what made you choose the Versys over the V-strom? Being on a military installation in Kabul, I have not taken either for a test ride.

Looks like Florida has some great deals on the 2014 models! Send me a PM on what your 2014 cost you. Naturally, I expect the military and cash discount!
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome from Sunny Alaska and from a retired USAF weapons troop. Where will you be when you get back to civilization? That will play a part in bike availability. I would be combing Craigslist NOW since you will be returning soon. There are some great deals this time of the year. I purchased a "NEW" 2011 (best color BTW!) early this spring an have around 6K miles on it now. It's been a blast, I've gone the ADVersys route as even the best Alaskan roads are not all that good, and there are so many of those OTHER roads to explore here too. Price wise, it all depends on location, location, location. I picked mine up with a set of adventure tires installed (probably $350 with mounting) OTD for $6K. That was a smoking deal here in Alaska.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 08:28 AM

Thank you for your service

[quote=trill;706594]Where can I find the best information on why I should get a new 2013-2014 Versys now, a preowned 2012 Versys, or wait for the 2015 Versys 650?[quote]
That is going to be different for everyone. I went into the process trying to get the best deal on an '08 since they are few and far between here. I ended up with a better "value" in the 14 in my case.

Quote:
Specifically, what made you choose the Versys over the V-strom? Being on a military installation in Kabul, I have not taken either for a test ride.
The Strom just didn't feel right. I went into the purchase decision wanting to get the Strom. Hands on and riding it felt heavier and not at all what I expected. It's hard to put into words.

Sent you a PM and hope it helps. I'm sure other more experienced folks here will chime in too.

2014 Kawasaki Versys
2000 Honda Rebel 250
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. I retired from the USAR in 1999 and have been doing contract work since 2003.

Originally from Alabama, home is now Murfreesboro,TN.

Great suggestion on Craigslist!

Are the improvements in braking, suspension, and engine performance worth waiting for the 2015 model? I'm told that many Versys 650s have some rattle. I hope they fixed that for 2015.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 09:05 AM

Whatever you decide, whatever you ride - thank you for your service.

Just a "rambler in my Father's world."
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thank you for your reply. I retired from the USAR in 1999 and have been doing contract work since 2003.

Originally from Alabama, home is now Murfreesboro,TN.

Great suggestion on Craigslist!

Are the improvements in braking, suspension, and engine performance worth waiting for the 2015 model? I'm told that many Versys 650s have some rattle. I hope they fixed that for 2015.
The rattle is an easy fix, if you decide on a V2 don't sweat that. Waiting for the 2015 IMHO is only IF you like the new look. Not enough has changed mechanical wise to make it a deal breaker over a V1 or 2. I like the V2 styling best anyways so my opinion might be a bit bias . It all boils down to what YOU like and want in a Versys. Just be warned that it appears they DIDN'T seem to change/fix the craptastic OEM seat on the 15 so.......I'd be putting a seat replacement at the top of your modding list IF you get a 15 model. Keep us informed on what you end up with. And stay safe over there brother

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Yellow 2012 Versys 650 or wait for the 2015 Versys 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
The rattle is an easy fix, if you decide on a V2 don't sweat that. Waiting for the 2015 IMHO is only IF you like the new look. Not enough has changed mechanical wise to make it a deal breaker over a V1 or 2. I like the V2 styling best anyways so my opinion might be a bit bias . It all boils down to what YOU like and want in a Versys. Just be warned that it appears they DIDN'T seem to change/fix the craptastic OEM seat on the 15 so.......I'd be putting a seat replacement at the top of your modding list IF you get a 15 model. Keep us informed on what you end up with. And stay safe over there brother
Thank you for the prayer and well wishes!

If I don't get a yellow 2012 Versys 650, I'll wait to see what the real deal is with the 2015 Versys 650.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 08:49 AM

If TN is anything like VA around the military bases, they usually won't come down much, if any, on the price for a military discount. I'm not sure on the cash discount. When I was looking for mine earlier in the year, I checked out http://www.cycletrader.com/ and found that I could get the same bike back close to where I grew up for a lot less money. Have you considered the 1000? They are new in the states for '15.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome, do recommend ABS as i do not have it on my 08 very fast burnt orange Versys but my Ninja 1000 does have ABS and its worth its weight in gold, if i decide to upgrade my 08 would love to upgrade to a new ABS version of the versys.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb 650 or 1000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddreese View Post
If TN is anything like VA around the military bases, they usually won't come down much, if any, on the price for a military discount. I'm not sure on the cash discount. When I was looking for mine earlier in the year, I checked out http://www.cycletrader.com/ and found that I could get the same bike back close to where I grew up for a lot less money. Have you considered the 1000? They are new in the states for '15.
Yes, but the 1000 is likely more than I need for commuting and exploring the roads less traveled in TN. If I choose to ride two up to Maine or Montana, then the 1000 moves up on my list. But I see that many go solo on their 650 for interstate tours.

On a new bike it looks like many dealers offer only the manufacturer rebate even on a cash purchase. A pre-owned bike in like new to excellent condition seems the way to go if you want to get the best bargain.

Seen any yellow 2012 Versys 650s for sale? Shipping is an option for the right deal.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

To ABS or not to ABS, that is the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Welcome, do recommend ABS as i do not have it on my 08 very fast burnt orange Versys but my Ninja 1000 does have ABS and its worth its weight in gold, if i decide to upgrade my 08 would love to upgrade to a new ABS version of the versys.
I prefer ABS because 95% of my riding will be on paved surfaces with some wet weather riding. But there is something to be said for no ABS when you want/need unassisted braking.

When and where is the MSRP announcement for the 2015 650 and 1000?
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 09:56 AM

New leftover Versys are available cheap. I bought a new '12 last November for about $6k out the door. You get the advantages of new bike, factory warranty, break it in the way you want, etc. but price of used bike.

It is an excellent commuter/exploring bike. I have put about 10k on mine in the last year with no problems including some long road trips.

ABS didn't come 'til '14. It works good in a panic stop on wet pavement but adds a level of complication.

New '15 bikes will probably be at full MSRP or more. Middle of winter is the best time to buy leftovers and used bikes.

Last edited by waltermitty; 10-22-2014 at 10:00 AM.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Yes, you can get a great deal on the 2014 Versys 650 now, but I can't see myself on that green.

There is the custom painting option. I have considered getting the 2015 650 in white and having it custom painted in the highly visible and eye catching custom color "Screaming tangerine."

Based on the fact that I am also looking for a yellow 2012 650, you can tell that I like bright colors (except green!).

Last edited by trill; 10-22-2014 at 10:08 AM.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 10:49 AM

About the only difference in the leftovers from '11 to '13 is color. In '14 you have the ABS option to consider. Seems the only thing changed on color is the front fender, side plastic and rear plastic. Everything else is black. It would be pretty simple to do a color change but motorcycle painting tends to be very expensive. Another downside to painting is that it hurts the resale value of the bike. A repainted bike screams "crash".
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Yes, but the 1000 is likely more than I need for commuting and exploring the roads less traveled in TN. If I choose to ride two up to Maine or Montana, then the 1000 moves up on my list. But I see that many go solo on their 650 for interstate tours.

On a new bike it looks like many dealers offer only the manufacturer rebate even on a cash purchase. A pre-owned bike in like new to excellent condition seems the way to go if you want to get the best bargain.

Seen any yellow 2012 Versys 650s for sale? Shipping is an option for the right deal.
I bought mine back in June and one of the dealer's in PA had a yellow one. I checked back with them and it is sold.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
About the only difference in the leftovers from '11 to '13 is color. In '14 you have the ABS option to consider. Seems the only thing changed on color is the front fender, side plastic and rear plastic. Everything else is black. It would be pretty simple to do a color change but motorcycle painting tends to be very expensive. Another downside to painting is that it hurts the resale value of the bike. A repainted bike screams "crash".
There are seven Kawasaki dealerships within a seventy mile radius of my home in TN. Thirty years ago when I bought my first bike, I got a 1983 leftover for half the price of a 1984 model on a cash deal.

Perhaps some emails to the above dealerships inquiring about a yellow 2012 650 will turn up something.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddreese View Post
I bought mine back in June and one of the dealer's in PA had a yellow one. I checked back with them and it is sold.
Thank you! Please keep me posted if you see another yellow one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode