Hello from Florida - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello from Florida

Greetings from sunny Florida…

TLDR - new guy bought a Versys and is excited about the adventures to come.

I picked up my new 2014 Versys this Saturday as my second bike. I am a new rider with only a couple months under my belt on the street.

My first bike is a Honda Rebel 250 that I rescued from behind a local shed where it had been sitting uncovered for many years and got back on the road. Cheap, ugly and very uncomfortable. Getting it running presented more than a few mechanical challenges and I enjoyed "restoring" it. It would serve as a stepping stone to get myself comfortable riding on the street. Heck, there are forums full of people who love these bikes so maybe I would too. Now, for short trips around town it’s, um, adequate. For longer rides it leaves much to be desired for someone my (fairly average) size. I am starting to hurt at about 60 miles into a ride and after 90+ I am sore for a day. But, I've ridden the hell out of it and not yet killed myself or scared anyone so I figure that this is an auspicious start to my riding career. I've given myself until the end of October before I can buy a new bike.

Now, the bike I had been envisioning riding for the past couple years is the VStrom. I've read the threads on ADVRider with normal guys (and girls) hopping on these and riding to the ends of the earth, camping out, having fun adventures. That is exactly what I am going to do! So, I started poking around the local dealers because it never hurts to look. Right? When I sat on the Wee though I was underwhelmed to be honest. After riding one, I just wasn't feeling it. Damn, there goes my dream...

One of the local salesman had suggested that I consider the Versys. Similar, yet different. The seed is planted and off I go to all corners of the interwebs to find out more about that bike. Common issues and failings appear to be few. I find myself warming to its unique styling. Ample aftermarket and an active online community with lots of information and support. Yes reader, if you made it this far, that's probably you!

I found myself just checking some prices with a couple dealers and inquiring on the one privately available used bike within 100+ miles. I pretty much decided to go with a left over 2013 in white that another dealer had and decided to contact that first salesman since they still had a used '08 model to see if he could put together a decent price on it. A few days later I am taking possession of a brand new Versys he had shown me a few weeks earlier with 1! mile on the odometer. Seriously! How do they build them, ship them on a truck and in the doors with only... What? Oh yeah. They do final assembly in the dealership. Never mind.

The ride home from the dealer yesterday confirmed that the Versys will suit me very well around town and should be a great bike to take longer trips on. This morning I went on a nice 3 hour ride and feel like I could have gone another 3 or more.

I’ve already learned a lot from this site (yes, a noob who can search) and looking forward to contributing when I can.

Nice to meet y’all.
Greg

2014 Kawasaki Versys
2000 Honda Rebel 250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 10:26 PM

Greg. Solid choice you won't regret!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 06:05 AM

Welcome !!! Great choice, i've owned a Vstrom, and a Versys...the Versys is my pick !!!

'15 DL1000
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 10:10 AM

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good information here.

I am also a relatively new Versys owner. Just 3,000 miles do far.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 10:11 AM

Do you live in the Panhandle? I'm in pensacola and have been itching to ride with another V (never so much as seen one around here).
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Greg,

...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 04:00 PM

Welcome, Greg: I'm legally from Jacksonville. If I get down that way, I'll give you a shout. Not much in the way of good roads down there, although the central part of the state has some open stretches of flat-and-straight back roads. The last original stretch of the Old Brick Road remains south of Palatka; mostly sand now but still fun. Hope your rides are safe, comfortable and that they lead you to ... Virginia and North Carolina, where you actually find hills and curves.

Just a "rambler in my Father's world."
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 04:18 PM

Greg. I was a Tampa resident between '85 and '88 while stationed at MacDill. Lived in Valrico and rode to and from work regularly dodging all the senior citizens who had no business driving. Great fun that was.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the greetings. I'm always up to meet new people so I hope to meet some more Floridian riders! True, there's not a lot of twisty roads around here but I'm looking forward to seeing what I can find.

2014 Kawasaki Versys
2000 Honda Rebel 250
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 01:40 AM

I am also in Florida. I have put 2100 miles on my 2010 Versys that I bought not even two months ago. I love it. Monday I took a bunch of back roads and rode to Jacksonville to visit family. Took scenic route 181 miles over. Hooked up with my son-in-law (He has a Honda CBR) and we rode 50 miles north on A1A. Then today I rode home the fast path and did 430 miles overall.

Great bike. I am 100% satisfied.

Enjoy and be safe. Watch out for all the tourist

Ride up to north Florida and south Georgia. Great roads, twisties and hills. Very fun.

Last edited by Sleighman; 10-08-2014 at 01:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode