Just Drove Ten Hours to pick up my Versys on 10/4/14 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just Drove Ten Hours to pick up my Versys on 10/4/14

Almost exactly seven years since some idiot hospitalized, and almost killed me on my 600mi FZ1; I now finally have a new bike!
I live in Overland Park KS, and left at 4am on Saturday to pick up a 2011 Versys with 735miles at a non-Kawi dealership in Muskogee OK. I got it for $4300 out the door, loaded it up in the back of my truck, and headed home. Had about thirty minutes to ride it after unloading, then had to get ready for a wedding.
I wasn't planning on buying a bike this weekend, but when they accepted my cash offer over the phone on Friday, I figured that I'd have to be stupid to pass it up.
So far, I'm liking the bike allot! Yes I need to add and change some things to it, but it might as well be new, and at 6'2" seems exceptionally comfortable and easy to throw around. I'm trying to make a list of first mods, and any input would be appreciated.
Also, is it normal for the chain to sling oil on top of the muffler, and have it smell like burning? I wonder if the chain was over oiled at some point?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 08:17 PM

You will like it. The oil on the muffler is normal. Better a little too much oil than not enough.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
You might find something you like here.http://www.shop.motowerk.com/Versys_c2.htm

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 02:30 AM

Garage
Oil the chain and wipe off the excess will stop most of that fling off. Oh yeah congrats on the new bike post some pics when you get the chance
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
and congrats.

No worries on the chain oil, its normal.

Go ATGATT .Better to be safe.......
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

...and my mufflers have burned-in oil on the top and rear...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
So THAT's why my Versys stinks. I always thought that something was on the verge of fire. Not that I ride it smoking fast..... :-)

Huh.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 02:46 PM

Congrats, Amplitude. Does the excitement of a new bike have you, um, modulating?

I'm with you in the drove-a-long-way-to-get-a-Versys club. I drove 1,300 miles each way to get my '08 in December of '08. The few Versi they brought to the US were long gone from dealers, but I found a used one with 2400 miles with a forum member in Florida and drove my truck from Massachusetts to go fetch it. Good thing I didn't ride it home...we had 36" of snow while I was gone!

Enjoy your new ride. Got some pix?

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Congrats! I keep trying to talk myself into getting a '14 for the ABS, but the '11 color scheme is just beautiful. Even thought about buying the '14 and switching the plastics. lOL! Enjoy the ride!

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 04:04 PM

Congrats, Amp: Hopefully the saddle won't diminish your enthusiasm for the Versys. As Weljo pointed out, it was the last mod he did, but it should have been the first. The stock seat is simply evil! Others here have found it satisfactory.

Just a "rambler in my Father's world."
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
and congratulatons.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
congrats on the new bike and getting back on two wheels ive also been a long time member of the long trip to get a bike club its always worth it, as for mods, hand guards , heated grips aux plug are all good starts, then maybe a tank rash guard and luggage
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 02:01 PM

The ride back should be a lot of fun.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 02:06 PM

New Versys Owner

I just purchased a 2014 Versys and I can't wait it get it home.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanic Versys View Post
...The stock seat is simply evil! Others here have found it satisfactory.
I'm quite happy w/ the stock seat on my '08 (51,xxx miles), and on my '09 (51,xxx kms). Done a FEW long days on each....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Okay, so I've put my first 200 miles on it. And the seat sucks! I keep sliding forward, and the insides of my thighs and my tailbone are getting pretty sore after about twenty minutes on it.
I need bags, on a bit of a budget, but don't want universal fit. My work backpack is probably 40lbs, and that makes the seat feel even worse. So who makes good soft sided bags that for properly? Even if I have to put on support brackets.

Last edited by Amplitude; 10-08-2014 at 07:16 PM.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Congrats, Amplitude. Does the excitement of a new bike have you, um, modulating?

I'm with you in the drove-a-long-way-to-get-a-Versys club. I drove 1,300 miles each way to get my '08 in December of '08. The few Versi they brought to the US were long gone from dealers, but I found a used one with 2400 miles with a forum member in Florida and drove my truck from Massachusetts to go fetch it. Good thing I didn't ride it home...we had 36" of snow while I was gone!

Enjoy your new ride. Got some pix?
As long as we don't start arguing and lying about waveLENGTH.

As for pictures, it's red. For now. Thinking about leaving it two tone, but replacing the red with a pearl white. I think the metallic red might be bad luck for me. That was the Color of my two 06 FZ1 that I had.

Last edited by Amplitude; 10-08-2014 at 09:09 PM.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 07:50 AM

Welcome and congrats on the bike. You will enjoy it. I think there are quite a few soft bags out there that work. I bought the Nelson Rigg saddle bags for mine and use no supports on the V. Also have a CBR 250 which needed simple support bracket. I switch back and forth quite a bit.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplitude View Post
Almost exactly seven years since some idiot hospitalized, and almost killed me on my 600mi FZ1; I now finally have a new bike!
I live in Overland Park KS, and left at 4am on Saturday to pick up a 2011 Versys with 735miles at a non-Kawi dealership in Muskogee OK. I got it for $4300 out the door, loaded it up in the back of my truck, and headed home. Had about thirty minutes to ride it after unloading, then had to get ready for a wedding.
I wasn't planning on buying a bike this weekend, but when they accepted my cash offer over the phone on Friday, I figured that I'd have to be stupid to pass it up.
So far, I'm liking the bike allot! Yes I need to add and change some things to it, but it might as well be new, and at 6'2" seems exceptionally comfortable and easy to throw around. I'm trying to make a list of first mods, and any input would be appreciated.
Also, is it normal for the chain to sling oil on top of the muffler, and have it smell like burning? I wonder if the chain was over oiled at some point?
- switch to a dry chain lube that does not fling like Dupont Teflon Chain Saver
- suggest a Givi touring windscreen, makes the bike look better and provides improved wind protection
- suggest hard side bags or a top box
- SW-Motech engine bars are nice to have if there is even a remote chance you might drop the bike on its side
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 08:48 AM

and Congrats!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode