The wife's Versys... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question The wife's Versys...

Hey everybody. I'm Tyson in Milwaukie, OR. My wife rides a 2012 Versys (3000 miles on it) and I've come here for some technical help!

I've read many posts about how the Versys has a troublesome clutch. I'm trying to figure out if it's just me, the bikes normal behavior or if there is actually something wrong.

When I release the clutch the bike seems to start rolling smoothly at first then as I reach the end of the clutch lever travel it kind of jerks forward. It doesn't jerk hard but it's not normal compared to other bikes that I've ridden - including her old Ninja 500R. It's like a delay before the power transfers to the rear wheel. It seems to only effect it noticeably in 1st and a little in 2nd gear.

I've spent hours adjusting the cable, rerouting the cable, lubing the cable, loosening the cable clamp near the steering head, and I even pulled the clutch cover off and inspected/measured the springs, steel plates and friction plates. I also looked at the inner clutch basket (the part I could see externally) and everything looked new.

Keep in mind I'm extremely anal. My wife doesn't notice it, but I'm not sure she knows the difference as there as a large time gap between her Ninja 500R and this bike.

I even took it to a local small dealer/mechanic and he road it around and said he noticed it but that it "its not something that should raise a red flag or anything."

Does your bike feel like this? Arghhh....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 04:21 AM

Garage
No and never heard of clutch problems apart from the usual clutch cable needing lube etc
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 04:37 AM

Hey Roxzor,

I kind of know what you mean, but hadn't given it a second thought 'till now.......

Tend to notice it most when taking off from lights with a little enthusiasm.

Changed my oil Monday, so I'll pay a little more attention to it on my way home tonight.

doesn't strike me as a problem, but I'm no mechanic.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 06:38 AM

Welcome to the forum. I have never heard of this or any other Versys clutch problems.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Mine doesn't do that. Maybe an oil change would help. Maybe not. Try a different brand. Or not.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

:(

OK. Hmmm. Does the bike just have poor clutch feel? Confusion remains. Does anyone have any idea what kind of feel an upgraded Barnett (or similar) feels like in this bike?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 02:53 PM

I've never heard of clutch issue on the V.

I've found that using Full Synthetic Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 oil (dark blue bottle at Wallmart, etc.) has made my V shifting a little smoother.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

OK. I'll try some synthetic oil this time around. I also ordered some BRP clutch springs and a new gasket. I'll take another look at the plates and basket. Failing all of that, I'll focus my attention on the drive chain and associated components.

http://www.blueridgeperformance.net/brpengines.html
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

I cracked the clutch back open. Apparently the last time I measured I mixed up the lower limit or something. The friction plates were worn out, and a few notches in the clutch basket that I filed down. Whew, glad I wasn't nuts... well not all the way nuts.

Who would have thunk it at a mere 3000 miles. The PO said it was a demo bike. Note to self: Never again buy a demo bike.

I'll be putting Rotella T6 in the bike.

Thanks for the moral support.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 08:56 AM

I was about to suggest checking for notches in the clutch basket. I'm glad you found it out.

I have restored a few vintage bikes (made in the '70's) that had that issue, they had a fair amount of use/abuse before restoring. I initially dismissed the thought that it would apply to a newer bike, but now knowing that it was a demo bike, I suppose it makes more sense.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
sounds like a burnt clutch to me glad you got it fixed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode