New Versys rider in Texas - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Versys rider in Texas

Just got my bike 3 days ago and LOVE it!! Although, I am in trouble with the wife (I bought it without her permission).

I have a question though, the mirrors vibrate pretty bad. I can't see anything clearly in the mirrors, the reflections are fuzzy. Is there a way to fix that, or just something I have to learn to deal with? I think I have the notorious buzzing issue around the headlight, I will be checking on that this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 08:06 AM

Congrats on your purchase and welcome aboard, some of the people have bought after market mirrors that seem to improve the fuzziness I haven't bought any yet so can't really coment on effectiveness, but if you hold in the clutch when looking in the mirror seems to help. Hope your wife isn't to mad with you, and enjoy the ride.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Which after market mirrors would work better. I did not know if I could install a rubber washer to dampen the vibration?

The wife is starting to get over it, but I am sure I will have to hear about it from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcat13 View Post
Congrats on your purchase and welcome aboard, some of the people have bought after market mirrors that seem to improve the fuzziness I haven't bought any yet so can't really coment on effectiveness, but if you hold in the clutch when looking in the mirror seems to help. Hope your wife isn't to mad with you, and enjoy the ride.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 09:17 AM

Welcome, I am in Henderson County on Cedar Creek Lake (about 70 mi. SE of Dallas).
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Hey, I am in Linden. About 30 miles north of Marshall.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 10:10 AM

Small world, my wife's father was from Linden, and she has an Aunt and Uncle there. Welcome to the forum.

The mirrors are an issue everyone has, they can be improved but probably less frustrating to buy new ones.

Use the search to find lots of topics on cowl buzzing fixes. Pretty easy, mine took maybe an hour to fix.

Best mod I made, 43 tooth rear sprocket to correct speedo and make it more highway friendly.

Best of luck on the wife, sounds like you used the "ask forgiveness, not permission" rule!

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Who is your wife's Aunt and Uncle?

I plan on getting some foam rubber to fixx the buzzing issue. I was unaware of a speedometer issue, What is the problem with it??

I found some mirrors on ebay I like, cost about $10. May try to get those.

You are right, I finally tried the "easier to ask forgivness than permission." I figure that after 13 years of marriage, I am allowed one monumentally stupid mistake.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 04:00 PM

His name is Waylon, lived there his entire life. My father in law was his nephew; he passed and is buried there. We visit the grave when we are in the area. I have another Uncle who lives near there on Caddo lake who rides Harleys. His name is Joe.

The speedo is "optimistic" about 5 mph stock. Changing to a smaller 43 tooth rear sprocket will fix it.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

And from another Texan, welcome aboard!!

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 07:19 PM

Shadman,

Congrats on your V. Hope your wife will understand your need, "Your need for SPEED..."

Have a few Texan here on the rig, Nice cool Guys.

The mirror issue had cause grief to many of our V buddies but IMHO, damping the handlebar might help a lot.
Try putting in shotgun pellet in there. Has anyone else tried this?

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

I have read about adding buckshot to the handlebars. I may try that. I gotta figure out how to get the ends off to add the shot.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 09:31 AM

While steel BBs are not as heavy they are a lot cleaner and easier come by (large container at WalMart). I am lucky in that vibes have not been an issue on My V.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 06:06 PM

Added the steel balls/gun pellets by the throttle side (right side).
Its higher than the clutch grips and the bike's is on it's side stand.
The V right side bar ends is attached to the bars by a bolt. The pellets need to get through this hole.

Made some DIY funnel to channel the pellets in.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

So you added the pellets? Did it make a difference??
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 07:15 PM

I couldn't find pellets but used small steel ball bearing. It works. My mirror's vision are clear. Our fellow Azfaz is using shotgun pellets. He can give you more input.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

looks like I will be making a trip to my local Wal-mart to get some B-B's then!!!

I noticed you had the mirror extenders on your bike. Are they worth it?
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 09:55 PM

Have PM my buddy Azfaz who has pellets in his bars.

Using motowerk mirror extenders. I think they're worth it.
Less head movement trying to look back the rear. Fact is ordered total of 9 mirror ext. sets here. So far, everyone's happy with them.
http://motowerk.com/MirrorExtenders.aspx

Thanks.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I installed some extra heavy bar end weights from HVMP on my Kawasaki 500 which has more vibration than the Versys, made a big difference. They are milled from Stainless steel so look high quality and don't rust. They also offer slightly more protection in a tip over as they stick out farther than the stock ones. I did not see a listing for the Versys on the HVMP site so you may need to contact them for sizing.

http://www.hvmp.com/kawasaki.htm
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 08:55 AM

Where in Texas?
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

I am located in Linden TX. It is about 40 miles southwest of texarkana.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode