Hello from GA - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello from GA

Just signed up. So far, no ride, no experience, and no ideas where I'll end up. Just took the MSF course this weekend and had a blast. I've learned that it IS possible to teach an old dog new tricks.

Still shopping for a bike and checked out a Versys today. NICE bike. I'd originally discounted the sport bikes and was looking for either a cruiser or a dual-sport. The salesperson suggested looking at the Versys as an alternative and, I'm not sure but I think I'm back at square one. I prefer the upright riding position of the standard style bike and I think I'll probably not be so quick to discount any style for now. That's the good thing about blissful ignorance; it lends itself to an open mind . . . if you'll let it.

For now, I'm hoping to learn from you folks - the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Whit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 10:07 PM

Hello Whit, I am from Georgia as well. Congrats on the MSF. Personally, if I had never ridden I don't know if I would start of with a brand new pretty shiny bike. Lots of good deals on some used stuff out there. Yes, this bike IS great. But its not the only GREAT bike. Try to imagine what you want the bike for, and the kind of places you want to go...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 10:38 PM

Whit...I took some time off riding to raise the family and riding again wasn't on my short list of things to do, until, I found the V and in large part this forum ...When it came time to pull the trigger I had 2 bikes I thought would suit me, the Vstrom and the V...Musta sat on the Vstrom a 100 times and couldn't get over the fairing size and length of the bike, ran good, handled well, but never connected...Never rode or sat on a Versys, walked into the showroom that had one (Cali was the last state to get them as 09's) and they had a (my) blue one, thru a leg over and that was it...Wrote the check and never looked back...Has been a great all around bike for me. Good weight, power, handling and this is important to me, even after a year, I can walk out to the garage and that bike still blows my hair back , whether I'm taking her for a ride or not. And if I am taking her for a ride I say the same thing every time "F*** this is a sweet ride", spit out the cigar and we're off.

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

HPG, I agree with you - new and shiny and neophyte is probably not the best combination. I'll start with used (and probably smaller) with the intention of learning and then turning the intro bike when I'm ready to upgrade.

Contractor, yeah, I was smitten. I'd say it blew my hair back, too, but, well . . . I don't have enought to blow.

I only anticipate street riding at this point but, who knows, that might (and probably will) change as I get some experience. Thanks for the words, folks, I appreciate it.

Whit
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 05:57 AM

I bought a new shiny V as my first bike and other than a few scratches along the way, it has been awesome. To me I would rather spend a few extra dollars on new and not have to worry about potential mechanical issues of a used bike while I am learning. Now that I have a little experience and a bit more bike knowledge I would be more inclined to buy a used bike, but probably more to get something that I really like that isn't any longer in production. I usually buy new drive cars and drive them for a long time, so the same works for bikes.

And welcome!!!

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode