Purchased 2013 Versys today! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Purchased 2013 Versys today!

Hi everyone,

New guy from Spring Hill FL. Picked up a Versys, now the fun beings. Looking to add bags first off. Any recommendations on mounting he and bags? Or where to purchase from?

Hope to learn tons from you all!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 09:07 PM

Most folks here have Givi style bags. I came off a KLR so I lean toward adventure touring style bags. Happy trails makes bags and racks to fit the Versys. You can also use Happy Trails racks with other cases like Pelican 1550 and similar.

A rack and topcase is sometimes a better solution, lighter, cheaper, less drag. I am using a rack made by one of the guys here, very nice piece of work, and a small Rubbermaid Actionpacker as a topcase, but, again, I came off a KLR.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykawi View Post
Hi everyone,

New guy from Spring Hill FL. Picked up a Versys, now the fun beings. Looking to add bags first off. Any recommendations on mounting he and bags? Or where to purchase from?

Hope to learn tons from you all!

Mike
Welcome to the V2 family. Just use the search function and you can get a TON of ideas on how you want to dress it out.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 08:53 AM

did you get the white 2013?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 09:06 AM

Welcome!

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 09:37 AM

Welcome. I really like the Givi bags. I have a
2012 in yellow and color match is perfect.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 10:56 AM

For bags, the OEM equipment only allow for either the top rack or the side racks...not both.

I can't provide detailed help on racks for the 2010+ bikes, but I'm sure others will offer great advice. And the search function will be your friend...there is a lot of great information on this site.

In general, a number of manufacturers offer aftermarket racks, with SW-Motech,, Givi, and Hepco-Becker being the most well known. Happy-Trail.com also offer side racks if you like using Pelican cases or aluminum panniers. In some cases, they allow top and side cases to be used (Givi). In others, they may not (SW-Motech, according to Twisted Throttle's website).

As for vendors, I'm a proponent of shopping locally, simply because if local dealers do not sell merchandise, they tend to close. That helps no one. If you want to buy online, check the vendor section of the site. As well, other dealers are Twisted Throttle and Happy-Trail.com.

Have fun, and enjoy the bike!

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 03:25 PM
djg

Welcome.

I like Givi bags, but they are sort of overpriced glorified tupperware, and the locks are not very strong. Their strength is that they make well engineered mounting systems for most bikes.

Pelican or Seahorse boxes can be mounted on a Versys with a little research. They are very tough. Not high style.

DaveC really covered the bases. You should decide what your style is and go from there. JC Whitney and Shad also make generic bags for the budget minded.

This company usually gets ignored. http://cariboucases.com/
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Lots of choices I see. Thanks for the replies. I got the blue one BTW. :-)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
If you go GIVI, check out the prices at www.sporttour.com They will save you over Twisted Throttle.

I like the look of the V35s on the Versys. I did integrated run/turn/brake lights in them as well from www.admorelighting.com. You can get color matched panels from Kawasaki too.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 06:53 PM
djg

Sporttour is a good place. They can give you more discounts if you call vs internet ordering.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 07:48 PM

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 04:51 AM

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 07:48 AM

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 09:52 AM

Welcome!

This is a great place to learn more about the Versys and get help and ideas.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

I ordered a set of these:
http://mondomotos.com/TSKAP
for my AZ V.

It'll end up looking similar to my BC V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'moose' panniers1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	51626  

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode