New Versys Owner in Western NY... couple questions! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Versys Owner in Western NY... couple questions!

Hello Everyone --

Happy new versus owner reporting from Rochester, NY! Just grabbed a cobalt blue 2009 with 5,900 miles that had spent most of it's life in a garage for under $3k (good deal I'm thinking). I couldn't be happier. I was one of those guys that started riding just last year with a 250 and have had my eyes opened wide sitting on a 650 now. The bike is amazing: stable, powerful, comfortable... just couldn't be happier.

If any versys pros want to offer up some quick advice, I've got a couple items on the bike I'd like to tackle myself hopefully, rather than pay a dealer tons of money to work on....

1) Very small chips in the paint on the tank (size of a pencil tip... probably from a belt buckle) Any advice on good products for paint patching.

2) Mode and Reset buttons don't work on the dash... lights light up and speedo and tach work just fine, but i can't toggle through trip, mileage, etc...

3) Nasty vibrating noise coming from the tach area. 99% sure its the plastics rumbling up there because when I put a hand on the plastic above the tach, the vibrating noise stops... incredibly annoying at the moment.

4) Already have an OEM kawa rear case, and looking for any reasonably priced saddle bags/cases that won't interfere riding 2-up. Lots of riding 2-up here so can't have ginormous saddle bags that get in the way of legs...

Any advice would be welcomed and appreciated! Can't wait to throw some serious miles on this monster.

-Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiannavp View Post
Hello Everyone --

Happy new versus owner reporting from Rochester, NY! Just grabbed a cobalt blue 2009 with 5,900 miles that had spent most of it's life in a garage for under $3k (good deal I'm thinking). I couldn't be happier. I was one of those guys that started riding just last year with a 250 and have had my eyes opened wide sitting on a 650 now. The bike is amazing: stable, powerful, comfortable... just couldn't be happier.

If any versys pros want to offer up some quick advice, I've got a couple items on the bike I'd like to tackle myself hopefully, rather than pay a dealer tons of money to work on....

1) Very small chips in the paint on the tank (size of a pencil tip... probably from a belt buckle) Any advice on good products for paint patching.

2) Mode and Reset buttons don't work on the dash... lights light up and speedo and tach work just fine, but i can't toggle through trip, mileage, etc...

3) Nasty vibrating noise coming from the tach area. 99% sure its the plastics rumbling up there because when I put a hand on the plastic above the tach, the vibrating noise stops... incredibly annoying at the moment.

4) Already have an OEM kawa rear case, and looking for any reasonably priced saddle bags/cases that won't interfere riding 2-up. Lots of riding 2-up here so can't have ginormous saddle bags that get in the way of legs...

Any advice would be welcomed and appreciated! Can't wait to throw some serious miles on this monster.

-Pete
1. Wait a bit till you've added a few of your own.

2. Try "Search" - MANY solutions. (Ear plugs HELP a lot!)

3. Try "Search" - MANY solutions.

4. Just finished adding 39L "Dirt Baggs" to my '09 - LOTS of room for me on the pillion seat (5'10", 180#, 31" inseam) - I measured things w/ my usual pillion passenger sitting there before I started. Check the pics.

BTW -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03268 copy.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	49938   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03269 copy.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	49946   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03270 copy.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	49954  

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 08:07 PM
MTS

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 09:40 PM

Garage
Just fixed my buttons the other day. Take apart the instrument cluster and spray some electrical cleaner on the button contacts.
The buzz under the windshield is probably from the plastic the tucks under the headlight shroud. It comes from the factory with foam but it wears out and needs either new foam or some rubber to stop the noise.
As was already said just search around on here and you'll find a bunch of posts on these things.

Luck favors the prepared.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 02:02 AM

You picked up a 09 with bugger all for miles on it for under $3k?
YES... you got a good deal.
There is a lot of folks out there who buy a new bike and lose $3k driving it out of the dealers lot. There is also a whole bunch of other folks who have well over $3k in farkles on their $20k bikes.
You got one hell of a good bike at a very good price...be happy and ride.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 06:43 AM

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

Thanks for the words of wisdom all! Got the bike Friday and put about 200 miles on it this weekend. No complaints! Stock seat held up great... and bike just wanted to GO! Lovely having available power all across the powerband. Versys had no issues pulling my wife and I (about 300lbs together) up a pretty steep grade to speeds that I would not disclose to law enforcement

All and all... not disappointed at all with the new toy!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 11:39 PM

Welcome Pete. I'm live in Walworth. Sound like you did get a great deal on your Versys. I'm looking for my 2nd one now. I have an Aspencade that the motor locked up on, but had no incentive to fix it when I had my Versys.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome from just north of ogdensburg, ny

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 09:57 PM

new to versys!

hi, i also purchased a slightly used green 2009 versys. new to the versys, but not new to motorcycling. got it at $3850.00 with only 800 miles on it including the green color matched hard bags..wanting to know how i can perk this thing up..runs like new(cause it is) but i always tinker with bikes..is there a good go to guy who knows this thing inside and out on here? also, i like that beak thing! anybody know where i can get one for an 09? thank you guys! scott
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 03:12 AM

Welcome! Also in the Rochester area. Good to know there's other Versys riders around!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickeybond View Post
...is there a good go to guy who knows this thing inside and out on here?....scott
Scott - Lots of "go-to-guys" on this forum. Use the "Search" function, or failing an answer there - ASK AWAY! Someone will have an answer.

...and...

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
newbie, questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode