Looking to buy a Versys in the very near future - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Looking to buy a Versys in the very near future

Have been riding since I was 12 and legally on the road since I was 14. I'm 31 now. Been through a few bikes but most recently a KLR 650, then to a Yamaha WR250x, Harley Dyna Glide (Still own) and then just recently picked up a DR 650.

I'm not very happy with my Harley and usually just use it for poker runs. My DR is i fun but incredibly uncomfortable on anything other than the twisties.

Was looking into the Vstrom but not a fan of its size, I don't think id be as confident on it as I would a Versys. The Versys seems to be everything I want. Twin cylinder, fuel injected, 6 speed with an upright seating position.

I'm going to stay glued to this forum and be a sponge and read as much as I possibly can. Looks like there is a few good bikes for sale on here and I may have to pick one up.

Regards,

Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth_Puddin View Post
Have been riding since I was 12 and legally on the road since I was 14. I'm 31 now. Been through a few bikes but most recently a KLR 650, then to a Yamaha WR250x, Harley Dyna Glide (Still own) and then just recently picked up a DR 650.

I'm not very happy with my Harley and usually just use it for poker runs. My DR is i fun but incredibly uncomfortable on anything other than the twisties.

Was looking into the Vstrom but not a fan of its size, I don't think id be as confident on it as I would a Versys. The Versys seems to be everything I want. Twin cylinder, fuel injected, 6 speed with an upright seating position.

I'm going to stay glued to this forum and be a sponge and read as much as I possibly can. Looks like there is a few good bikes for sale on here and I may have to pick one up.

Regards,

Jon
I have owned the 1000 V Strom and a BMW 650 Dakar. I also still own my WR250X..that bike is just too much fun to let go of !
Anyway..I just bought a Versys as it is one of those bikes that looks like a great inexpensive all rounder.
I will be starting to ride mine today after work.
Since we have owned similar machines I can share some of my initial impressions.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 02:06 PM

I'm a bit biased but definitely think it's a great all arounder.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 02:56 PM
MTS

Fun bike and if you can get a good deal on a used!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 03:44 PM

Faster than most Harleys. Very good deals on new leftover Versys on ebay now, as little as $5,795.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome and the versys is a great funvee
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 07:00 PM

Garage
Welcome
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 08:21 PM

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 09:19 PM

Garage
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Except for chain maintenance, the Versys is my go to bike for backroads travelling. Hate dealing with the chain on a bike without a center stand.

The Versys truly is a Versatile System.

It can be modified to be mostly corner carving sport bike, or modified to be cross country tourer, or dual sport beast. Grocery getter, lane splitter, shortcut taker, etc.

For me it is my summer bike and put the GPS on shortest distance and follow.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 06:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Faster than most Harleys.
And more reliable
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 06:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
And more reliable
And handle better
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 07:04 PM

And brakes better.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
And LOOKS better...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 04:02 PM

I have put 350 miles on mine in the last week since I bought it.
The Versys really is a great bike!
I have owned over 40 motorcycles and I can honestly say that for the money this is one of the best.
Great handling, compact, enough power and reasonably lite weight.

Will keep you posted
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 05:54 PM

I just picked up a Versys just over 2 weeks ago, The bike seems to be a good all around utility bike that can be fun in the turns. The bad from my short experience most with a little work could be rectified, abrupt low speed throttle, hash suspension at low speeds not so bad at speed, foot pegs for me I am short are not in the best location to reach the ground. Stock the bike is quiet except for the faring noise cruising around town and wind noise at speed on the highway with stock wind screen gone with the Givi screen. The bike has a snappy mid range which dies out before redline and the bike has a chugging feeling in the lower rpm range, transmission to me is tractor like but really shifts fine.

For around town it is worlds better than a big enduro, its quicker can handle highway miles without the loss of piston and cylinder, stops and handles better and is more comfortable than a rep-racer.

Last edited by nic579; 06-24-2014 at 05:56 PM.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 11:19 AM

Post Buffalo to Rogers AR new owner report. I have a little over 1200 miles in 2 days on my new to me Versy. This included long fast 80mph highway, 70 mph back country + tight twisties and even some uncharted MO gravel dirt roads that were a unintended Garmin surprise. The bike did great on most except the Batlax 016 "running a 150 rear" tires were not the best off road choice I still found myself doing 45mph at times there. On the highway the Corbin felt like a curse at times and fine others but the poor wind protection was noticed mostly even with the GiVi screen. Fast winding roads to tight twisting roads where effortless. I even forgot about the shifting on the Versys as it was smooth enough and the torque made up for any lapse in selection mid corner. The bike does however like a proper gear selection and shows with impressive confidence mid turn if you are in the best gear. A Few other notes: mirros and bars vibrate like crazy did not bother my arms but the mirrors were unreadable and moved out or adjustment on the highway I could get the wind noise down to silent "good to get by semi's at 80mph" but the windscreen is really too far forward on the bike to make it practical for any long period of time.

The bike would be really great for longish "250/300 miles" runs but my 900 mile day was a bit rough I did however make it. If the wind protection were better I might change that assessment.

Last edited by nic579; 07-01-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode