New to me Green 09 and new to forum Preping for end of month Buffalo to Rodgers AR - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New to me Green 09 and new to forum Preping for end of month Buffalo to Rodgers AR

Hi name is Nick, just sold off my too tall for me XR650L to get a too tall for me but manageable low mile VERSYS. Bike came with Givi panniers a license plate box and Corbin seat but is otherwise stock. I have 2 days tooling around too and from work and while smooth I am having to adjust my riding style a bit from my regular road ride "Buell 1125CR". The Buell is opposite in that I can hardly use any throttle on that during a commute and the Versys is a quiet chorus of throttle and clutch. I think I will be putting a lowering link in the bike and really need to adjust the wind screen to alleviate the wind noise at highway speeds plus not sure but there is a bumble bee stuck in the faring that gets pissed off at times also. Anyhow I am heading south at the end of the month to Rodgers AR to visit some friends and than back VIA the Blue Ridge mountains and up through the Catskills. Not sure about the comfort level with this bike yet but fingers crossed I wont be a cripple at the end of the first 24 hours.

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the ranks Nick I came off an 88 XR600R but the height didn't bother me as I an 6'3". My 2011 V is a tad short for my size but with bar risers and peg lowering it's a better fit now. The ride sure is different that anything I've ever been on. That Corbin seat will help you on the ride. maybe look into getting an Airhawk pad for added insurance. You are pretty daring going on that long of a ride on a relatively new to you bike. I've had mine since spring and got 2500+ miles on it now and just feeling comfortable on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 06:29 AM

The Corbin that came with my used '08 sucks! Beware. I augment the seat with an extra large gel pad meant for a bicycle. Helps.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome, ive always found the stock seat okay, 40,000km on 2008 V, do own a airhawk medium cruiser cushion but primary brought that for my Ninja 1000 which is not the best stock seat.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

If I planned and had more time I would probably reason myself into driving the Honda Civic sitting my driveway. I will get a seat pad of some sort for sure.

PeeWee-Houston
Not sure on the seat myself I had hoped that the PO had the original but he claimed to not have it. Seems to place the optimal butt shaping too far back, I guess the lack of real RD is why I have seen a bit of Corbin bashing on the MC forums. It's sort of perdy though and weighs a ton.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 07:46 AM

Perdy is worth something . . . like women in very high heels . . . I KNOW they hurt . . . but sure looks "perdy!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 07:52 AM

Before I took off on a used bike I would make sure everything is up to snuff, oil, and filter, brake pads, chain and sprockets, coolant, air cleaner and maybe valves. Seat would be the last thing on my mind. Seat on my '12 is very comfy, did 3,000 mile in 5 days last month. Oh yeah, make sure the took kit and all the tools are still there plus you need a way to fix a flat (plug kit, air compressor or equivalent, trail jack).
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

I am working on the maintenance, oil just changed, rotors and pads look new, fresh tires will be going on before I depart. Bike is really in close to new condition "odo just posting 2700 miles", from what I can tell other some light corrosion on the black oxides and 2 case bolts closest to the exhaust the bike is in great condition. Bike runs very smooth sans 3000 rpm and below, i am going to sync the throttle bodies if its possible on this bike and I bet some of that clears up. I really wanted to take more time and do a trip late summer but work forced to do my vacation at the end of the month.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Who sells a good radial plug kit these days I don't see anything around me locally?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
Who sells a good radial plug kit these days I don't see anything around me locally?
These Dynaplug kits are pretty good, and carry very well
http://www.motopumps.com/dynaplug-kits

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
Walmart or Autozone oughta have the good stuff.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I have the Mobility Kit For Cars (Don't Know Why They Call It That) keep it in my side case I've used it once for me and also plugged a tire of a guy i was riding with one day. Works Great..http://www.stopngo.com/tire-pluggers/

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

I like both the kits. I have been looking for a mushroom plug kit for some time as the tar/rubber strips don't quite do the job on a thin motorcycle tire. Think I will grab a stopngo that's just what I have been looking for.

Raised the forks in the clamps to the max yesterday and I am now reasonably comfortable except for the peg location which is where my legs want to be at stop and go foot too the ground. I was going to make a wind screen but seeing my limited time will be purchasing one, probably the Givi.

Any recommendations for a stereo headset that will work with the Galaxy S3

Can the bars actually be lowered successfully, they seem just a tad high too me. I think they will impact the tank if any lower?
I will have to dig out my low Renthal's and see if they will make it.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 08:13 PM

There is a thread about cutting a section of foam out of the seat. I did this on my 08 and it did help. I took a trip from Ark to the four corners about 2 years ago. I used a med. sheepskin pad on top. we did app. 3000 miles in a week. The first and last days where 500 mile days. The sheepskin saved the day. The Versys did much better than I would have thought, It was loaded with soft bags,Top Bag,Sleeping bag, and tent. The only problem was the wind in the Panhandles. Have fun and enjoy North Ark.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

I didn't get the stock and have the hard Corbin. On a good note though my new Givi windscreen showed up yesterday and I got it on and went for a quick ride to find that the annoying wind noise is under control. Wind is pushed across the top of my helmet and flows nicely into the vents + gives me a clean buffeted rider pocket.

Last edited by nic579; 06-19-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode