Hello from Western Michigan - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello from Western Michigan

I bought a leftover '13 Versys last Friday. I have had my eye on this model since they first came out. It's a bike that seems to fit me and my riding style perfectly! One question though, I have been riding for 30+ years but have not had many brand new bikes. What do you guys suggest on breaking the engine in? The guy at the dealer said "take it easy for the first hundred miles, after that let her rip". The owners manual says to not exceed 4000 rpm for the first 500 miles. On my last new bike a DR 650 Suzuki which had no tachometer, the manual stated to not exceed half throttle for the first 500 or so miles, I think. So, I'm a little stumped. What do you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
There are tons of opinions regarding break-in. What seems to be generally accepted and sensible is to vary engine rpm with some regularity for the first few hundred miles. That is, don't maintain a constant rpm for long periods of time.

If you believe the manufacturer, Kawasaki, knows what it is doing then follow their break-in recommendations. Metalurgery has advanced light years since the time some of us "more mature" riders tried to break-in new bikes from yesteryear, so if you elect to "ride it like you stole it" you probably won't fatally damage it. But if you treat it nicely it will probably last longer. My two cents.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 08:06 PM

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 07:45 AM

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
There are tons of opinions regarding break-in. What seems to be generally accepted and sensible is to vary engine rpm with some regularity for the first few hundred miles. That is, don't maintain a constant rpm for long periods of time.

If you believe the manufacturer, Kawasaki, knows what it is doing then follow their break-in recommendations. Metalurgery has advanced light years since the time some of us "more mature" riders tried to break-in new bikes from yesteryear, so if you elect to "ride it like you stole it" you probably won't fatally damage it. But if you treat it nicely it will probably last longer. My two cents.
+1 Also, the rings will seat better in the long run if you use engine braking when slowing down, periodically. It pulls a vacuum, and helps the rings seat on the opposite face.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Glad to finally be on board.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 10:43 AM

Welcome

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
I belong to the "ride it like you stole it" to break it in. Both my Vs were broken in on the ride home from the dealer, and the oil/ filter changed. One has 51,xxx miles, the other 43,500 kms, and neither uses oil. Here's a link to that break-in method:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode