Honk honk from Belgium :) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to StarLight
Honk honk from Belgium :)

Hi everybody! Just registered here after reading many hours about your experiences with the Versys. Had my first testdrive (finally) two weeks ago, it made an excellent impression and proved to be confirming my expectations, it's all I'm looking for in a bike. So last week I found one to my liking that also fit my budget, a 2008 green Versys with only 3500km on the clock, in perfect condition!

I've had my license for several years now, learned to ride on a Honda CBR 500, and these past years I have mostly been riding my girlfriend's 1999 CB500S, but had yet to buy my own bike.

I'm 35, live in a small village called Affligem, perhaps known to some of you for the excellent beers we brew here (that have the same name as the village). I work in IT (Business Intelligence), mostly as an external consultant at the larger corporations in Brussels.

Other interests are scuba diving, IPSC, gliding, reading adventure/fantasy/sci-fi (mostly in English), and generally having fun with friends with a good pint and/or a good meal.

Looking forward to learning to know my Versys with your help and input; and the first accessories have already been bought, mostly based on your feedback on this forum and the UK forum

The lower gel seat, the vario windscreen, romatech tail tidy, romatech radiator guard, joe rocket manta and manta xl tank bags (both all black), ermax colour-matched hugger, pyramid fender extender, and finally the barkbusters BHG1 handguards (black).

I'm still waiting on one paper (it's an imported bike from Italy), hope to get it next week so I can put my bike on the road

Last edited by StarLight; 11-14-2009 at 04:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 04:37 AM

and have fun on your V...

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 04:49 AM

Greetings Starlight,
Great choice, I'm sure you will love the bike. I see that you bought "top shelf" accessories for your bike, please don't forget "top shelf" personal gear.
Keep us informed, we love reading about peoples rides from places we have never been.
Ride Safe,
Steve

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, getting good and affordable personal gear is next on the list; I've got it planned for early january 2010, when the winter sales start.

I'm not sure how it's done in the US, but in Belgium the sales periods are defined by law, one in early january and one in early july, and product prices cannot change during the six weeks before leading to the sales period.

But having to wait a bit is compatible with my agenda, as I've had a gastric bypass for medical reasons at the end of september, and I'm still losing weight. Should be about stable by january as well, so I'm sure I can buy eg. a jacket that fits correctly, AND at a lowered price
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome aboard!!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 11:09 AM

Welcome StarLight ..........have to love that new bike feeling . The V is becoming quite the international bike . Looks like Ewan and Charlie need to make a 3rd movie ...... Be sure to supply us with lots of pictures of the V in the Belgium countryside ( this is an excuse to ride more ) Welcome aboard ...........................Oh , and I love your waffles ( what , someone had to say it )

** This space for rent **
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Welcome aboard..

Fastoman
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

Hope to have my bike at the end of this week, Kawasaki promised the missing paper would be mailed this week. Can't wait

In the meantime I also ordered the H&B crash bars and the XtremeCharge battery charger/tender. The first packages should be arriving this week as well, so it may be a fun weekend to install everything and testdrive

fingers crossed!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

There was a delay in the paperwork; what a surprise, right?

Finally today the last paper arrived at the dealer, and my Versys will be delivered this afternoon at 5pm

The lower gel seat, vario windscreen, h&b crash bars, barkbusters handguards, romatech radiator guard and romatech tail tidy have already arrived in the meantime, so there'll be some installation fun the coming evenings

The ermax hugger, pyramid fender extender, manta and manta xl tankbags, battery maintenance charger, and RAM gps holder for my tomtom 910 go are still in transit.

First training (refresher) is planned for the 5th of december, wwhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

And yes, I'll be sure to take some pics as well
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

It's heeeerrreeee

Too bad it's extremely windy and rainy outside, and it's even looking worse for this weekend...

next week then!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000816.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	4941  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Finally it dried up outside, still cold at 8 C. So it was time to take the bike outside for a first testdrive: fill her up at the nearest fuelstation and drive back home taking some detour.

I installed the lower gel seat, vario windscreen, barkbusters handguards and romatech radiator guard some days ago; no screws came loose so far Tail tidy will be for a rainy sunday afternoon, as it seems to require more fiddling nd the instructions are only in german.

The crash bars will be installed this week. I checked with a neighbour if he had a torque wrench as the instructions specify for each bolt at what torque it should be fastened, but no such luck. So I'm just going to install it and tighten by hand as normal, and apply blue (medium) loctite on all screws.

New clothes are good too, at a first glance; boots and pants were keeping my feet and legs very warm, the jacket may need some extra work (eg wearing a windstopper) as my arms felt rather chilly.

I guess the bike hasn't been used in the past two months (date of removal from registry in Italy) or perhaps longer, as there was a clear odour of grease burning and lots of steam and water coming out of the exhaust after the first 2km. But all is fine

It has such a nice, understated roar when you're accelerating

When I got back to my house, I turned right before the garage door onto the lawn and stepped off, aiming to pull the bike then backwards into the garage. And WOOOMPPPFFF, there it went and fell on its left side and I could barely lay it down gently (stopping the fall seemed out of the question, all of a sudden this nimble and balanced bike became a massive deadweight )... Luckily on the lawn so zero damage, but it's a good eye opener.

Saturday I'll be participating all day in a winter training by a national motorcycle organisation. Good way to get started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode