New Versys owner...very happy with it! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Versys owner...very happy with it!

My user name is ThunderDog and I have been a member of this forum for only a couple of months and the ADVrider.com asylum since August of 2004. My list of previously owned motorcycles numbers over fifty. My first ride was a 1965 Honda Sport 65 bought new in '65. Included in this mixture were 70% dual-sporters, 25% street oriented and 5% were all-out serious desert or enduro bikes. Being a heart patient at a young 62 years old, I have learned[finally] that the older one gets, the slower they heal! It's been a few years back, but BigDog[Mark Sampson of bigdogadventures.com] and I have ridden dual sport events together in Suches, GA, Renfro Valley, KY and at LBL's September Dual Sport in KY/TN.
After a four year hiatus from owning and riding a bike, I decided a Kawasaki Versys was the one for me. I shopped around and in September this year found a 2008 Versys on Craigslist right here in my hometown. Lucky for me I was the first to call the owner and I committed right then over the phone. This bike is a Red 2008 and had only 1124 miles total; for only $4250.00 I viewed the asking price to be a great deal and I didn't try to wiggle him down to a lower cost.
I've put an additional 1000 miles on it now and have experienced some of the same negative complaints that other Versys owners speak of:
-original seat is a 30 minute seat...if you know what I mean
-minor buzzing around the area where the fairing/instrument cluster meets
-mirror vibration with stock mirrors @ any speed over 20mph
-original horn is at best used for a trot-line fishing weight
-original 15 tooth front sprocket gears the bike too low for me
-original handgrips will transmit vibration and tingly fingers after just 20-30 minutes of riding
-seat height is tall for me. I have a 30" inseam @ 5'!0"
-Original tires do not inspire confidence for me on gravel roads
but, I'm sure you know, all of these before mentioned issues are correctable with the aftermarket.
--Already, I have added mirror extenders and replaced the stock mirrors with EMGO mirrors. All mirror vibration gone!
--Original horn is awaiting an over-night fishing trip. It was replaced with a WOLO air horn. My horn now honks like Mack the diesel rig from the CARS movie.
--A 16 tooth front sprocket, a Corbin GunFighter seat, Algard engine shield and fairing guards are on order now. I added a Wal~Mart ATV seat cover temporarily.
--New Shinko 705's ordered and will be installed when original tires wear out.

The very best action I have taken as a Versys owner was joining this Versys forum. I highly respect all the members that have presented information on all of the threads of interest to me; especially the Ride Reports. I plan to be a member here for a long time...and I think I will keep this bike till pigs fly
ThunderDog
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kawasaki Versys November 9 2009 006 (Custom).jpg
Views:	258
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	4699  

There is never a shortage of new areas to see and explore.
How many lifetimes could one spend exploring every road that's worth exploring?
One of the great pleasures of my road trips is in the discovery of great places to drive or ride (sometimes by planning...sometimes by serendipity).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Kawasaki KLE650 Versys
1989 HONDA NX250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 11:48 PM

Glad to see ya onboard & look forward to your storys along the way .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 06:37 AM

Thanks for you insight regarding the Versys! Seems that most everyone has the same ideas for upgrades. The only thing that I somewhat disagree with is the comfort of the seat. Granted the longest rides I have done so far on the V have been in the 400 to 500 mile range but I do not find it that bad. I seem to have plenty of room to move around and for the time being can tolerate it's short comings.
My wife calls me a dumb ass once in awhile, could that have something to do with the seat?
Anyway, welcome to the forum.
Ride safe,
Steve

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderDog View Post
My list of previously owned motorcycles numbers over fifty.
I guess you won't be on the Verseys very long ......although , it might just be the one Welcome and thanks for the insight in your report . I look forward to some pictures of the bike in action , I am following the use of the V as a long distance semi-off road but good highway bike commuter , so far it seems to be just about right . *Maybe a bit more power up top and better tire options .............

** This space for rent **
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

And welcome aboard!!!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 06:08 PM

The corbin will drop it a little bit, but you may know you can get more loering the shock itself. I'm 5'10" and I keep it in the middle notch. Sorry about the buzzing I haven't noticed anything on mine which also an 08. Goodluck
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Chris, you realize that's not for lowering the Versys. It's for preload adjustment...

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 06:43 PM

Welcome! I put a rox riser anti vibration set on my handle bars . Best 150 ever spent.... gets rid of virtually alllllll vibratiiiiiooonsss. I would reccomend them highly!

if it were easy....everyone would do it!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 06:44 PM

Thanks for the correction bear. I'm not a heavy guy so dropping it to the middle notch works for me without bottoming out.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 08:19 PM

Welcome and congrats on the farkles.

Tony
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 08:30 PM

Welcome. I remember the '65 Honda Sport. Had a buddy that got one right after I got a 50 Sport. He could outrun me with no problem, I was pissed.
Looks like you are already getting the V sorted out. They are great bikes.
And the aftermarket support is super for such a new bike.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode