Might buy a Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Might buy a Versys

Just sold my BMW f650 Dakar.

I have a Yamaha WR250X with an extra set of dirt wheels for more serious off roading.

I am looking at the Versys as a replacement for my Dakar.
Other bikes that I am considering:
Buell Ulysses
BMW F800GS (the 650 version)
Wee Strom

My riding on the bike would be about 80% highway but I like to do back roads/forestry etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by manybikes View Post
Just sold my BMW f650 Dakar.

I have a Yamaha WR250X with an extra set of dirt wheels for more serious off roading.

I am looking at the Versys as a replacement for my Dakar.
Other bikes that I am considering:
Buell Ulysses
BMW F800GS (the 650 version)
Wee Strom

My riding on the bike would be about 80% highway but I like to do back roads/forestry etc.
The Dakar is a pretty capable bike, why did you get rid of it?
As for your choices: the V or the Wee would be your best bet for the 80/20 riding you plan on. Giving the edge to the V of course

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I agree with AlaskaJeff's V or Wee comment. The V if you like a more responsive, fun to fide machine and the Wee if you like a more stable, less flickable machine. Both are good IMHO but I chose the V because it fits my riding style better. That said, I have friends that own Wees and they wouldn't trade them for a V. In their opinion the 19" front wheel makes it easier to ride off road. Personally, I prefer the V's 17" wheels at both ends - quicker steering response and it looks better too. To each his own.

Oh, and the V's under body muffler makes it about a gazillion times easier to mount hard bags that don't stick out a mile on the right side. That's where the Wee's upswept gigantic muffler lives.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 06-01-2014 at 12:52 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 03:07 PM

I checked out both the V and the Wee. Ended up being the V for me. No regrets.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

The Dakar was a great bike, but I always trade every couple of years because I like the variety etc.

Another question, I occasionally two up with my wife.
From what I have read the Wee is better than the V for that.

Comments?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 11:49 PM

I like my Versys, because I don't ride 20% off road, and I never ride with a passenger. If I DID either of those, I go for the V-Strom.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 01:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Before the Versys I had a BMW 650cc GS 2002 version and was a great bike but found the versys far superior on the road and the BMW better off road.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 04:26 AM

Back in 2009, I was on the fence between the Wee Strom and the Versys. I worked at a dealership at that time. Back then, the 2008 Versys felt twitchy at speed. I bought the Wee Strom.

I had an opportunity recently to ride a 2012 V. I rode 200 miles and found no twitchiness and general ride experience was better than the Gen 1. Bought a 2013 V a few days ago.

Both are excellent rides. Even though I'm still "involved" at the Suzuki dealership, we're all wondering when Suzuki will pull out of the US market...

2013 White V

Marty in Kerrville
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 11:19 AM

I do occasional two up riding with my wife. The V does fine around town and on short freeway jaunts. Haven't done more than that with her as she's not such a huge fan of being on a bike.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 11:35 AM

I have recently bought a new V and love it. Only thing I would say is I am 6"4 and anything above 70mph has quite a big hit on your chest with the stock screen.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
IMO none of the bikes listed including the Versys are going to be comparable to the performance of the Dakar off pavement.

As a rule of thumb, don't take these bikes on any terrain you cannot drive a two wheel drive car or they will be a handful. That said the Versys is a great street bike and a great value. It will be far superior to the Dakar and even handle slightly better than the much more expensive BMW 800 GS on pavement. Having ridden both the Triumph 800 XC and BMW 800 GS I would say both these bike have more of an off road bias than the bikes you have listed and might be better for the 80/20 blend of on road/off road riding you intend. IMO what makes a bike handle well off pavement detracts from pavement handling and vise versa. You cant really have great handling on both pavement and good dirt capability in the same bike.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-02-2014 at 09:20 PM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm...thanks for the info all...still haven't made a decision, but I am in no rush.
Happy commuting on my WR250X for the time being.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
If you want to see what an off-road Versys looks like, and what it can do - read this thread:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=5480

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 09:51 PM

I find the stiffness of the V makes it a very good 2 up machine. My wife loves mine and as a result I've probably ridden more with her than without. I'm trying to get her to get her own.
We rode a Dakar for a few months as well. Great bike, but even with the rear preload cranked up, I feel it rode very soft and low with both of us. 350lbs combined.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode