versys height and weight - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
versys height and weight

First of all, hello to everyone

I'm writing you from Portugal, and here is the deal:

I currently own a sym gts 125 maxiscooter, but since I drive around 60 miles home-work-home it is becoming extremely boring to do so in the sym (that otherwise is a good bike).

Therefore, I began searching for more powerful bikes, and I'm currently "dating" the versys.

The one thing that scares me is its size: I'm afraid it will be to tall for me, and I must say that bike handling is important for me. I don't want a bike that I cannot easily maneuver in slow speed or with my feet on the floor. In the sym, I can easily put my feet in the floor and I never felt like I was going to drop it on a feet in the floor maneuver.

I'm 1,72 m height (I think that's around 5'8''), and I haven't had the chance to sit on a versys yet, so I donít really know how will I fell on itÖ

Do you think it might be a problem?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. - sorry if something's not well written...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 12:44 PM

Just my opinion, but even with the Speedy lowering link I think you will find the bike to be too tall. Of course, it depends on how long your legs are. Sit on the bike, have somebody hold it steady, and kick up the stand. See how it feels. Personally, for my first real motorcycle I would want to be able to flat foot it.

Check this out (Speedy makes really high quality stuff):

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...read.php?t=282

Last edited by charly; 11-05-2009 at 12:47 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 02:19 PM

Charly has the right idea Imrsa. Sit on it. Give it a try. I am about 5'9", and it's a little tall. Generally it's ok, but on slow tight turns, I would prefer to have my feet down. The best I can do is balls and toes of both feet. If you do get the V, and you feel comfortable, you will love it.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 02:45 PM

also adding a gel seat will drop height in addition to the lowering kit

if it were easy....everyone would do it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 05:50 PM

Hello Imrsa, I,m about 5'9'' and I can flat foot this machine without a problem. Maybe my legs are longer than they should be? I have a 34" inseam on my pants if that tells you anything. I also have had a lot of years on tall dirt bikes so the transition onto the Versys was easy for me. I bought the bike unseen, picked it up at the dealer and rode home 75 miles. It was March in the Chicago area of Illinois. 40 degrees Fahrenheit, and a 30 mph wind was blowing. Dumb yes, but I just had to ride it home. Loved it!
Like the other guys said, see if you can get a demo ride or maybe one of our other friends in Portugal will be kind enough to set you up with a test ride.
At any rate, good luck in your search for your perfect bike and whatever it may be ride safe.
Steve

P.S. Get good gear to go with your new machine.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 07:50 PM

Hello Imrsa -- I too was concerned about the seat height of the Versys. I'm 5'-8" with a pretty short inseam of 30" (my wife loves to bust me about that). When placing both feet on the ground, only the balls of my feet reach. However, in all my years of riding, whenever I come to a stop, I've only ever placed one foot on the ground anyway. Having first ridden a Suzuki DR 200, then a Ninja 250, the height and size of the Versys was a bit intimidating at first. But after a little bit of low speed maneuvering practice, and normal riding, the Versys feels very comfortable. Good luck.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the answers

I've had the chance to sit on a versys, and it really is a big bike. I must say it didn't inspire me much confidence, because I could barely put my feet of the ground. It is not related to its weight, since the er6-n is only 20 kg lighter and it felt much more "safer", since I could put both feet solid in the ground...

Maybe if I could get it lower (with a different seat or the lowering kit you've told me about) I could get a different felling...

Question is I'm sure that to get on it and just go forward I would have no problem, but on a more complicated maneuvering it could be a problem...

I don't know, maybe I'll have a chance to try one...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 08:21 AM

Imrsa, the entire idea of having a motorcycle is to have fun on it. If it isn't fun there's no sense owning one.

I have a friend who bought a VFR800 as her first bike. She's just a skinny little thing. She's had that bike for about four years now and she's still scared of it. She was told she would grow into it. She's still waiting.

My advice is to buy something used with a lower seat height to start with. That way you're not investing in a V at the beginning. Get a bike you can have fun with. There's usually a market for good used bikes. I bought my first bike used, rode it for a season, and then sold it for a profit.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly View Post
Imrsa, the entire idea of having a motorcycle is to have fun on it. If it isn't fun there's no sense owning one.
+1 on that

get the bike thats right for you, not the bike thats right for your mates, the journo who did a write up/review, or a bike that someone you aspire to has.

if you are certain that the Versys is the right bike for you then consider trying to find someone locally who has got a Speedy lowering kit fitted and see what it is like.

For me personally at 1.88m the Versys fits like a comfortable chair, everything about the ride position feels right, yet other complain about the pegs getting in the way and so on. each person is slightly different. one of the guys I know in the UK with as a lowering kit is I guess around 1.7m tall say 5'8" and he has no problems with the Versys.

sometimes its just change that makes us react to certain circumstances, ultimately only you can decide if you can live with the bike (whatever bike). if you don't feel comfortable on the bike, if the controls aren't in the right place then you aren't going to enjoy riding it as much as you could. granted some times its just change that you adapt to remarkably quickly. if you don't enjoy it, whats the point of having a bike, they are for fun after all (at least they are for me)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

I completely agree with these guys, if the Versys doesn't feel comfortable, don't get it. The ER6 is a great bike as well as the Ninja 650. Get the bike that fits you & one that you'll ride & enjoy.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 04:08 PM

ER6 may be your best bet, if you are looking for a similar to the Versys feel/look, but shorter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 07:59 PM

I was going to say look at the 650R but it looks like several people beat me to it.

Like the others have said ER6n is another one to look at.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 04:22 AM

Send a message via MSN to StarLight
I'm 1m70 / 5'7", no problems with standing, and not particularly long legs for my length (I'd say the opposite actually); obviously as it's a high bike I was expecting to touch both feet only with the front part of my feet on the ground, I was not expecting to be able to have both feet flat on the ground

I added the lower gel seat, but don't feel that much difference in my feet positioning on the ground actually; but as it's a lot more comfortable seat, I'm keeping it

But the bike is so nimble, keeping it on one leg is hardly taxing, and vroommm you're riding a second later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode