Versys building - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys building

I stumbled accross this site looking for ideas, and boy did I find some here. Being an ex desert racer, I was looking for a sweet dual sport. I bought a KTM 620 that was registered in Cali. After fixing it up a bit, I got burned at the DMV since they've recently changed the rules and will no longer register anything that was ever labeled as "competition use only". I thought I was in the clear since it had California tags, but it turns out that they can even vin search an austrian motorcycle and find out it wasn't made for the street.... I had this 06 650r ninja that I couldn't sell, nor trade for a KLR when I first saw the versys and noticed it was the same bike [relatively]. I started looking at naked bike pics, and ER6 pics when I ran accross this site and saw some member's pictures of some customized versys'...... Soooo, I hit Ebay, and the Kawasaki dealer for versys parts, and I'm now waiting to get this project started [Waiting for parts is the worst]..... I'm hoping to learn some stuff from other versys owners, and shorten the learning curve a little on my way to an enjoyable dual sport versys convert, and maybe go on a few rides when it's done..... In the mean time, I'm just looking at pictures here, reading some posts, and waiting for parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 05:34 AM

Looking forward to seeing the completed project, keep us in the loop.
Steve
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Does anybody know this guy ??? Or how I could get ahold of him ?

Does anybody know this guy ??? Or how I could get ahold of him ?
[Looking for an ID on that rear hub/wheel]

Looking to do something like this

Last edited by crspep; 10-29-2009 at 10:52 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 01:24 AM

I know hes Australian ...cos we all seem to do some weird stuff to our transport down here ( anyone watch 'Mad Max' the movie)
The original post of that picture can be found in ADVrider.com try the group rides Australian section he may pop up, I've tried to find the posting for the past 45 mins no luck sorry.

Mwahahahaha

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501343

there ya go
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 03:37 AM

CRSPEP,
Why to bother,

You can get an Aprilia Vtwin offroad machin and start from there. Somebody already did it for you.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 05:28 AM

Guz, please read the very first post and you will see Crspep has the bases covered for a unique bike, and as i know there is nothing like having a ride that is as original as you are.
Yes we could all go out and buy a bike that can do what we want but thats not the point of these sort of conversions.

Why bother? ...because we can
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up there sambamboo, as much time as I've spent on adv rider, I've never ran across that picture....... I guess it's time I went back & checked it out..... I like the way you guys think down under.

As for why bother ??? If I could've sold the ninja, I would have bought something a little better to work with, but now it's just principle. I'll fire up the heli-arc, the Bridgeport, and the old South bend if I have to..... eventually something trick, or at least interesting is going to come out of it. Besides, there are some pretty cool rides pictured in here, so I think the potential is there........ I will check out that Aprillia you are talking about though, In the event I hit the lottery.... In the mean time, I'll just keep scabing different parts onto this thing until I come up with something I like.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 03:27 AM

OK

Ninja and dualsport and original should look like this

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=319441&page=9
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

That's the thread with all the good stuff ! ! ! & that looks like some good dual sport riding too..... Thanks.... There's a pretty good shot of that hub from the rear in there too.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Revision 1, don't even know if this qualifies as a Versys as I really haven't used very many Versys parts. Still a long way to go for the finished product though.... Not sure if this was a good idea, but it's too late to turn back now.

Revision 2..... Getting closer.... KTM rear wheel, DR front wheel & forks, Fox snowmobile shock [only one I could find the right length] Working on a gsxr reservoir shock that I hope will be better, or maybe build a custom one.

Too soon old...... Too late smart
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by crspep; 04-05-2010 at 02:04 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 01:24 PM

We need details! And lots more pics! Very cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode