Hello from NY - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello from NY

Just picked up a 2013 Versys this past weekend. I'll be riding it to from NY to CA in the beginning of June so I have some work to do to get ready for a cross country ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

.... from the Midwest

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 07:45 AM

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 07:47 AM

Welcome! When are you riding? I will be riding to cali in the begining of June as well.

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 08:13 AM
MTS

&

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by onewizard; 10-03-2018 at 06:46 PM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV.Russian View Post
Welcome! When are you riding? I will be riding to cali in the begining of June as well.
I'll be leaving Albany NY on 5/31 and plan to get to the LA area on 6/6. I've made the trip a few times on my Harleys and BMW but this will be the first time on a smaller bike.

2013 Kawasaki Versys, 2012 BMW K1600 GTL, 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, 2006 HD Electra Glide Classic
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 10:02 AM

from Ca bay area.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
LA County here...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
LA County here...
I'll be spending about a week in Orange County.

2013 Kawasaki Versys, 2012 BMW K1600 GTL, 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, 2006 HD Electra Glide Classic
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 11:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcycle View Post
I'll be spending about a week in Orange County.

You'll be right next door then..I'm in Norwalk. if you want to meet up for a ride let me know.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 11:37 AM

Garage
Heres my video channel so if you see an area you might want to check out...https://www.youtube.com/user/weljo2001

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
You'll be right next door then..I'm in Norwalk. if you want to meet up for a ride let me know.
Thanks for the offer - I may just do that.

When I've visited CA in the past, riding was limited to paved roads so I'm looking forward to doing a bit more exploring on some of the easy forest service roads.

Last edited by mtcycle; 05-13-2014 at 04:16 PM.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 12:57 PM

Welcome. Sounds like a lot of miles/day. You may want to do something with the seat before you go. That fresh hard saddle is gonna be a little rough. Good luck and post some pics when you get to the other coast.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcycle View Post
Just picked up a 2013 Versys this past weekend. I'll be riding it to from NY to CA in the beginning of June so I have some work to do to get ready for a cross country ride.
Break it in FAST (check "break-in-secrets" here: http://mototuneusa.com/thanx.htm), change oil/ filter. Do it AGAIN. Then you ARE ready to fill 'er up and GO...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 03:29 PM
NYG

Welcome from Saratoga. I have an 09, but you'll probably put as many miles on in a week and half as I've put on in four years.

Mike
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
Welcome. Sounds like a lot of miles/day. You may want to do something with the seat before you go. That fresh hard saddle is gonna be a little rough. Good luck and post some pics when you get to the other coast.
Yeah, the seat definitely needs some work. I'll probably remove the cover, add/remove some foam, and do some reshaping. Hopefully, I'll be able to get it "good enough" before I start my trip.

In past trips on the Harley and BMW, 600-800 mile days were "normal". To make it from NY to CA in 7 days, I'll only need to average about 400 miles/day so I should be fine.

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
Welcome from Saratoga. I have an 09, but you'll probably put as many miles on in a week and half as I've put on in four years.

Mike
It should be around 3,000 miles in 7 days.

You really need to get out and ride more often. As you know, there are some great places to ride around here. Let me know if you want to meet up for a ride some time.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Heres my video channel so if you see an area you might want to check out...https://www.youtube.com/user/weljo2001
I always take a ride or two over the Ortega Highway and I've ridden the Angeles Crest Hwy as well. Both are great rides. I'd like to take a ride up Palomar Mtn. someday. I'm sure there are many other great rides as well and welcome any suggestions that are good day rides around Rancho Santa Margurita.

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 05:11 PM

After you've done breaking in the engine, you might want to change your rear sprocket to 44t since you will be doing considerable highway riding.

Gerald
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode