thoughts on the past year and my "V". - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
thoughts on the past year and my "V".

Here I am;

50 years old, First bike, Researched for a whole year, Everthing from Sportsters to the great classic Truimph Bonneville T-100 ( I loved that one for a long time and put thousands of miles on one in my dreams), The Ducati GT1000 seduced me as did The sexy Aprilia Shiver GT, and then there was The 'Guzzi" V750 classic....My oh my. (We won't mention a brief affair with a Royal Enfield).
(sidebar....all are very special bikes. Yes, even the Enfield. The GT1000 is in my opinion the most beautiful bike I have ever seen. pure sex!
All upright riding positions. All fairly flat torque curves. All more than capable on the freeway ( but for the 500cc Enfield...but shes the purest classic...a bloody enigma). most had much better suspension than most any bike from the far east and in my price range. inverts on the Aprilia and Ducati...and 'Inverted forks mean stiffer front end and less unsprung weight.
And don't forget many had adjustments for both pre-load and rebound.

None of the Japanese cover so many points. Not for the kinda ride I was looking for and not at a 9000 dollar price point.
The Italians had me, and for all the right reasons.

Then I saw a comparo featuring a BMW, the wee-strom, and the Versys.

End of story.

Lust and technology.
Inverted fork. fully adjustable suspension, The power plant was engineered for me...as was the ride hight ( 6'-2" and a 36 inch inseam. 180lbs. some say shes a tall bike but I have nothing to compare it too and it fits me to a tee. Trellis frame tech isn't all that common outside of Europe either but far superior in to conventional frame design.
(It's an Aprilia shiver drawn by a guy that owns 'french curves'. and who doesn't love french curves)

A very unique machine the Versys is. cutting edge. and affordable.

Only Kawasaki thought to challenge the European 'adventure bike' market. ( and turn it on its head if ya ask me).Hell, the only reason there's a Versys in my garage is cuz the US market demanded that Kawasaki bring the bike here. ( thank you letter writers everywhere..your my heros).

MOTY doesn't hurt either. bragging right a plenty

Point is this.
Shop around..A LOT.
Read...A LOT.
Enjoy the thrill of the hunt and buy a bike because it fits YOU and does what your looking for.

I have no regrets (but for winter arriving here a week after I bought mine.) LOL

The Versys is an extrordinary motorcycle. This forum is a testiment to that fact. But it's not for everyone.

But what the Versys is, is the exception to the old saying " jack of all trades master of NONE". and at a fantastic price. and I thing....a fine starter bike too.

I don't plan on ever buying another bike. unless I wear my "V" out.

(and for the record.....I think she's one fine lookin' machine too.

It is my first and last.

Thanks for listening and good luck to all you shoppers out there.

CB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my bike 002.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	409.9 KB
ID:	4525   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-Aprilia-Shiver750GTc[1].jpg
Views:	127
Size:	289.4 KB
ID:	4526   Click image for larger version

Name:	2d96b5d0-d85b-4716-81ae-f9df8c0b5ed0.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	4527  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 12:04 AM

Very nice write up I have to agree with what you said but would change the saying from jack of all trades but master of none, to master of fun.

Last edited by glowcat13; 10-24-2009 at 12:06 AM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 04:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to E-nigma
Good writeup and I like your taste in motorcycles, especially the GT1000 and the Versys.

However, I have several observations;

The suspension is not fully adjustable. The front and rear have preload and rebound, but they both lack compression adjustment.

While the rear support brackets are a trellis design, the main frame is a very ordinary "Semi-Double Cradle" design, and not a trellis.

The Versys was not the first European-style adventure bike currently available in the US. The V-Strom has been available in the US for a while, especially the 1000cc variant. Beyond looks, I wouldn't even define the Versys as an adventure bike with it's 17" front wheel. It won't accept anything but street or moto rubber without a front fender relocation, and even then the choices are very limited.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-nigma View Post
Good writeup and I like your taste in motorcycles, especially the GT1000 and the Versys.

However, I have several observations;

The suspension is not fully adjustable. The front and rear have preload and rebound, but they both lack compression adjustment.

While the rear support brackets are a trellis design, the main frame is a very ordinary "Semi-Double Cradle" design, and not a trellis.

The Versys was not the first European-style adventure bike currently available in the US. The V-Strom has been available in the US for a while, especially the 1000cc variant. Beyond looks, I wouldn't even define the Versys as an adventure bike with it's 17" front wheel. It won't accept anything but street or moto rubber without a front fender relocation, and even then the choices are very limited.
Once again the proofs in the pudding and so my knowledge grows.
Thanks "E" for the schooling. LoL

We can agree to disagree about the V-Strom. The thing I love about the look of the Versys is that.......I think I look good on it. (Need all the help I can get.) LMAO !!! To me the "strom's" are too...busy. and don't 'look' as 'rubust'. All purely subjective observations and with all due respect to all the happy Susuki owners out there... But if ya don't like the way you look in the suit, your not gonna wear it.
I did about 60 miles today. All inner city. Lots of shifting and limited to 4 grand on the 'break-in'. I was smilin' the entire time.

But I digress...Thing is this, I learned as much as I could until I just couldn't stand it anymore. Suddenly it was time to sh*t or get off the pot. and boy did I luck out! I love the 'shiver GT'. ( not even knowing if it would come to the US in 2010). Price was an issue too.

Then I double checked my notes., found the Kawasaki, couldn't believe I almost missed it. And the rest is history.

As first bikes go...I would be hard pressed to do better.

Naked. Modern interpretation of the classic 'standard'.(and adventure like...tire issues not withstanding).

Thanks for the notes on the frame types..and other possible suspension adjustment points.

I classed the "V" as trellis frame out of ignorance most likely because the engine is part of the frame ( not cradled inside it) so I just...learned something new. Ditto on the compression adjustment but most bikes in the price range only have the pre-load option).

So thanks for comments.

I've rambled long enough for one day.......

Be well.

Peace

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcat13 View Post
Very nice write up I have to agree with what you said but would change the saying from jack of all trades but master of none, to master of fun.
I gladly stand corrected good sir!

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 10:52 PM

Had a lot of bikes in my 62 years and the Versys is probably the best for the money. Is a lot of bike for the cost. I have traded a lot of bikes but this one is my keeper. Plenty of power to play in the curves and handles so good. Love the bike and i ride pretty hard for an old man.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I recently had a by pass operation and needed to press my reset button and went around looking for a bike. The two things that change my life is the V and this forum. Thanks a lot guys for all the feed back comments and write up in the forum.

I don't thing I will ever have someting in flesh, blood or material close to the versys.

Fastoman
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 08:59 AM

Bought my Versys in February 2008 and in April 2008 ended up in the hospital for 4 months with a spinal/brain infection. Had a couple major surgeries and re-hab and got home in mid-July 2008. Sheesh... Didn't think I would be able to ride again, have some permanent mobility disability issues. I loved my Versys but thought I would have to sell her. I put it on Craigslist one day and got 2 calls on it the same day.
My wife was telling me not to sell it as she knows how much I've loved riding motorcycles for almost 40 years. So I went out to the garage and managed to get on it! It felt good. Started it up and rode around the neighborhood for about 15 minutes, went back to the house, turned on my computer and nuked my Craigs ad
This is the most fun bike I have ever owned, by far. I put about 6000 miles on it this summer and almost never left the state. Yup, this is probably my last motorcycle (at least 2-wheeler!) but I think I'll have it for many years, it just does so many things so well.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
It is my first and last.

CB
I believed everything you said until this line. You will be seduced my friend, you will be seduced. We are only so strong. I said this same thing about my cruiser, and here I am with two bikes in the garage. Love my versys! Love my Cruiser too.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 08:26 AM

Bikes even become cooler in the winter! you go out..you shovel snow......when you come back to the garge and just sit on your bike longing for just one sunny 50 degree day!

if it were easy....everyone would do it!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger View Post
I believed everything you said until this line. You will be seduced my friend, you will be seduced. We are only so strong. I said this same thing about my cruiser, and here I am with two bikes in the garage. Love my versys! Love my Cruiser too.
I had this same thought. Motorcyclist are a fickle lot when it comes to machines.
Two in my garage and loooking for two others!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 01:38 PM

This is encouraging. I too just got my motorcycle license (at 48 years of age) and have been researching for months. I also looked at the v strom (friend has one). Then I sat on a Versys. That is it for me. I love it. Now looking for a used one. Hope to find one soon before the first snow flies.

Sunrise in KC
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 07:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrise View Post
This is encouraging. I too just got my motorcycle license (at 48 years of age) and have been researching for months. I also looked at the v strom (friend has one). Then I sat on a Versys. That is it for me. I love it. Now looking for a used one. Hope to find one soon before the first snow flies.

I am in my mid-50's and got my bike licence last month.

Today I bought a 2007 Versys - fairly farkeled - fully Givi's, fog lamps, gel seat, etc. I took it for a 1 hour test ride - lots of rain and only 5C / low 40's F.

I will have it serviced next week and then put it in the garage till next year

Thanks to this site for all their great research & info.

My tag is beacasue I am an 250 lb Australian living in Vancouver, Canada.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome aboard big guy!

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
I am in my mid-50's and got my bike licence last month.

Today I bought a 2007 Versys - fairly farkeled - fully Givi's, fog lamps, gel seat, etc. I took it for a 1 hour test ride - lots of rain and only 5C / low 40's F.

I will have it serviced next week and then put it in the garage till next year

Thanks to this site for all their great research & info.

My tag is beacasue I am an 250 lb Australian living in Vancouver, Canada.
250 !!!, whats with all these skinny Aussies moving here .... Any pics of the new steed before you tuck it away . Some great twistys out in Langley along the river ........

** This space for rent **
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 07:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHammer View Post
Any pics of the new steed before you tuck it away .
I got it home just as snow was falling [Upper Lonsdale in North Vancouver], but I might get it out for a photo op tommorow.

Quote:
Some great twistys out in Langley along the river ........
I am a newby - just got my licence on Oct 16 but if you are willing to show somebody with training wheels some fun rides I will join you next spring.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
I got it home just as snow was falling [Upper Lonsdale in North Vancouver], but I might get it out for a photo op tommorow.

I am a newby - just got my licence on Oct 16 but if you are willing to show somebody with training wheels some fun rides I will join you next spring.
I sent you a PM .........., BC has a great riding community , and the scenery and roads are hard to beat ( when it's not raining ). Here is a quick link to some pre-planned routes around Vancouver http://www.motowhere.com/listpaths/srchkey/vancouver+bc

** This space for rent **
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 10:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
I sent you a PM .........., BC has a great riding community , and the scenery and roads are hard to beat ( when it's not raining ). Here is a quick link to some pre-planned routes around Vancouver http://www.motowhere.com/listpaths/srchkey/vancouver+bc
Hi BlackHammer

Thanks for the PM and the great links - all saved to Favourites!

Hopefully I will meet you on the road.

Alan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode