NEW here; Need purchase advice. Is this a member's ride? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
NEW here; Need purchase advice. Is this a member's ride?

Fellas - New to the forums here. Thanks for having me!

I am trying to finalize a deal with a seller in NY State (I'm in PA)

From what I have seen on the market this is a good deal, but I want your opinion on it. Here is the link:

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/4408535918.html

I thought maybe this is a member's ride and someone would recognize it. Bike is said to be in good condition with newer tires, never laid down & stored indoors. Owner told me it was his son's bike that he used to learn on & now needs the money so hence the sale. Owner has a BMW1200 that he rides so I'm certain he is not new to riding.

One thing that alarmed me is as when I threw out my cash price - he accepted it straight away without trying to squeeze any more money out of me. At $3900 it's at least $500 below KBB.

Am I overthinking this decision? Is the market for these bikes as such that deals like this can be had? Perhaps he just wants to sell and get out from under it -OR - has it sustained a drop/accident and he's willing to take whatever for it?

I definitely want the bike (a versys that is!) and know it fits me well (I'm 6'0" & 230). Sat on one at a dealership and loved it. In any case - any insight on this would be helpful.

Furthermore - I am buying the bike in New York State & transferring it to Pennsylvania. Anyone have any knowledge of NYS laws and what documentation is required?

One last thing - I am new to riding and have a general idea of what to look for when inspecting a bike. Would it be y'alls reccomendation to take it to a dealership and have it inspected before purchase?? There is a Kawi dealer about 6 miles away from his house. Just want to cover all my bases and not be trailering a POS back home.

Thanks in advance for your help & look forward to joining this community as someone who just enjoys the ride!

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 08:31 PM

Garage
Buying in NY is a breeze! No notary required, just sign the title and it's yours. I bought my first bike and my last car from NY no issues to speak of. (Other than making sure the title says MC as in Motorcycle but that's another story)
It wouldn't hurt to ask how often he did oil changes. If he and his father both ride, odds are pretty good it's solid.
I say pull the trigger! You won't regret it

Luck favors the prepared.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I would get off the couch and get a deposit on it before someone beats you to it....Don't over think it...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I bought my 2008 with around 4600 miles on it (with Corbin saddle and Two Brothers carbon muffler) for $4200 and thought it was a good deal. I'd jump on the 2009 at $3900 if I were you. It looks good in the photos and it also has low mileage for its vintage.

Good luck.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-man View Post
Buying in NY is a breeze! No notary required, just sign the title and it's yours. I bought my first bike and my last car from NY no issues to speak of. (Other than making sure the title says MC as in Motorcycle but that's another story)
It wouldn't hurt to ask how often he did oil changes. If he and his father both ride, odds are pretty good it's solid.
I say pull the trigger! You won't regret it
I read up on it some. Plan to call the NYDMV tomorrow. No notary is odd to be since I've always lived in PA. I think this is the bike for me. Thanks for the help!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Weljo - Spoke to the fella tonight. He's holding it for me and scheduled to pick it up on Friday. Thanks for the advice/kick in the a**! I really think this is the bike for me! Very excited to be on two wheels for the first time in my life. (I had terrible parents ... can't you tell?!?)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 11:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
I read up on it some. Plan to call the NYDMV tomorrow. No notary is odd to be since I've always lived in PA. I think this is the bike for me. Thanks for the help!
I'm from PA as well, but since I'm so close to NY I've bought vehicles on both sides of the border. Definitely prefer to not have to deal with the Notary!

Luck favors the prepared.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
Weljo - Spoke to the fella tonight. He's holding it for me and scheduled to pick it up on Friday. Thanks for the advice/kick in the a**! I really think this is the bike for me! Very excited to be on two wheels for the first time in my life. (I had terrible parents ... can't you tell?!?)

Good Deal...That bike is just barely broken in..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I'm w/ the others - looks GREAT, and at a pretty good price!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Alright fellas - deal with the buffalo seller fell through so I ended up finding this 2011 (3900 miles) closer to home. Price was a little more but the bike is in AMAZING condition & has a yosh pipe already on it - plus I like the color better anyway and it's the 2nd gen. In any case - sometimes the world helps make decisions for you and I usually don't fight it. Worked out well for me. So here she is loaded up on the trailer. I picked her up Friday and have a helmet on order so still haven't ridden yet (it's my first bike!)

What do you think?

Last edited by Toad; 05-06-2014 at 08:59 PM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 06:01 AM

Grats on the second Gen...the fates did you a favor IMAO. (That Buffalo craigs list ad was full of lies) I can recommend http://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Motorcycling-Ultimate-Guide-Riding/dp/1889540536 for good stratedgies on staying alive

I'm no diplomat

Last edited by aka Yamadog; 05-07-2014 at 06:09 AM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 07:09 AM
MTS

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by onewizard; 10-03-2018 at 05:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode