New member from Sturgis, Michigan/potential owner! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New member from Sturgis, Michigan/potential owner!

Hey all. I've found what seems to be a good deal on a clean, all stock 2008 Versys. The only kicker is that it has very high miles. 68k all from the original owner who is apparently a seasoned veteran rider in his early to mid 50's. I don't think he has a log or record of maintenance, I'd just have to take his word on what he's done. I've already checked it out in person once and it started up right away, sounded great and didn't make any funky noises at idle or rev whatsoever. I didn't get to take a test ride but he did jump on and take a couple laps around his front yard to demonstrate how well it ran and it all seems ship shape. He did say that he's kept up on scheduled oil changes, checked the valves a couple few times, added a new battery and a few other things that I can't remember off the top of my head.

It's quite short notice since I plan on picking it up tomorrow because there are others interested in it as well, but he's only asking $1200 for it. Just looking for some opinions on this. More than likely I'm going to do it though, so I hope it works out well!
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	45817

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	45825

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	45833
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 12:27 AM

That deal is ridiculous but sounds too good to be true. Unless you're a mechanic, and if he is willing, I'd put a small deposit down and pay for an inspection at a dealer, you'll still come out ahead. It everything checks out, the Versys is a solid running machine. If he isn't interested in having a mechanic to take a quick peek, run away.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 05:15 AM

From some of the other high mileage posts, she still has some life in her. At $1,200 that's not a huge gamble.

I personally would never buy a bike with mileage that high except maybe a well maintained Goldwing.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 05:18 AM
MTS

Well at least its only $1,200.00. You can get a china scooter for that and its shot at 2,500 miles so good luck. The King had good advice for a inspection.

Congrats and Good Luck! Hope you get 32k miles or more out of it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MTS; 04-21-2014 at 05:27 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 06:15 AM

for that price, it seems as if you cant go wrong. GL. Versys run that long huh? Thats awesome
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Im with the others as $1200.00 is not much and some versys around the world have higer milage than that, is the person who selling it on this forum?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Well I pulled the trigger today and put a $500 deposit for him to hold it. I'll be paying the rest tomorrow and picking it up this weekend. I'm really excited to get it insured and on the road! I'm going to have it professionally inspected prior to riding however. I figure if anything goes wrong with it in time I didn't spend too much so I won't be too badly in the hole and at a loss.

As for him being on the forum I'm not entirely sure but it's not impossible I suppose.

Last edited by iTMart; 04-21-2014 at 11:37 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
I think you're getting an AWESOME deal, even w/ those miles!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 02:27 PM

Welcome to the V family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode