What's my Versys worth? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What's my Versys worth?

Hi Guys,

Have been trying to sell my 2011 Versys and not much luck. Can you tell me what you think it might be worth? It is in nice shape with 3,800 miles on it. Not many extras just a Yosh pipe. I was asking $4800.00 and have not had anybody interested. Is it worth that? Should I keep trying or lower the price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 06:18 PM

I think that is reasonable. The Versys is a niche bike. Only a small percentage of folks will appreciate the beauty of the ugly duckling. When I bought mine, I overlooked it twice before I came to my senses.

As with anything, if your in a rush, drop the price. At some point the need for you to sell will intersect with a buyer. The better the deal, the quicker it sells. Only you know how much you need vs how quick.

If you have the stock muffler, I recommend putting it back to stock to sell. When I buy used, I do not like a modded bike. I do not know what kinds of things could have been done by a jack leg mechanic.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 06:21 PM

Completely stock bikes seem to go for more. Look what new '11s are goin' for (there are still some leftovers at dealers).

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 06:32 PM
MTS

Location can play into the price. If you are in the USA that sounds right. Time of year is good. Put together a package and get some adds out. Try to sell locally first!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by onewizard; 10-03-2018 at 06:35 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 06:51 PM

No joke. Do you have any hot friends? I have gotten top dollar multiple times by putting a hot girl on the bike for pictures. It doesn't have to be g strings and pasties either. Just a cute face and daisy dukes will get tons of traffic on CL or most cycle websites.. Try it, you have everything to gain.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 09:44 PM

I have seen a lot of local dealers trying to get 5k for an 09 with similar miles on it. I think you have it priced well. craigslist isnt working for ya?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 09:52 PM

Tryin' is the operative word. Why would anyone buy a used '09 for $5K when you can get a new '13 for $5,800.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I have it on ebay and CL. I'm not in a real hurry to sell it but was just making sure I was in the ball park. Who knows?....if there is no interest I might just come to my senses and not sell it. Always had fun with it but I'm addicted to going on big game hunts more and always am in need of money for that expensive habit.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Tryin' is the operative word. Why would anyone buy a used '09 for $5K when you can get a new '13 for $5,800.
That's not too bad for an '11.

A dealer here in Kelowna has a blue '09 w/ about 10,000 miles, asking a bit over $6,000 Cdn, + taxes, etc.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 07:35 PM

put oem exhaust back on

Myself and alot of experienced motorcyclists shun buying used with anything performance modded. An oem bike without performance mods is alot more attractive to me, if I want any mods, I will choose them myself. I also will question whether the mods were done correctly with proper fuel system mods and if there is any damage to the engine because of improper mods (ie; why it is for sale to begin with). I would put on the stock pipe and advertise it as such ...and then sell the aftermarket pipe on e-bay. IMO if you want dependability, buy stock, if you want performance, buy an 1100, don't mod a 650...............
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 10:33 PM

Good Deal

I think that's a good deal, pretty similar to my price and yours has less miles.
I live in San Jose California and Bluebook is 5150 to 3000 range
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I did not modify it with the Yosh pipe. The dealer where I bought it installed it for the previous owner. So, I do not have the original pipe. It seems to run fine in the time I have it. At least I don't notice any issues.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 05:26 PM

I sold my 2011 last month for $4,800
It had a Motowerks Lowering Link & Flatfoot, 44 tooth sprocket,
SW Motech Crash Bars and SW Motech Skid Plate. It was worth more,
but I just kept getting lowball offers.
I should have taken the SW Motech stuff off, but I just did not want to mess with it.
The guy that bought mine drove 4 hours one way to pick it up as he knew
it was a good deal.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post

I think that is reasonable. The Versys is a niche bike. Only a small percentage of folks will appreciate the beauty of the ugly duckling. When I bought mine, I overlooked it twice before I came to my senses.

As with anything, if your in a rush, drop the price. At some point the need for you to sell will intersect with a buyer. The better the deal, the quicker it sells. Only you know how much you need vs how quick.

If you have the stock muffler, I recommend putting it back to stock to sell. When I buy used, I do not like a modded bike. I do not know what kinds of things could have been done by a jack leg mechanic.

I follow your logic, but the reality is that the used bike you are looking at could have been modded and then put back to stock by a jack leg mechanic who may not have found all the OEM parts to put it totally back to stock and you may not know until after the purchase.

Sounds like the only way to be assured is to buy new if you don't want options.

I on the other hand have found that bolt on options are heavily discounted when sold with a bike so if you want certain mods it is better to buy them already installed on a bike.

To the original poster, look up what Nadaguides.com and kbb.com place the value at. Call a dealer and inquire what they would give you for trade in.

Now you know you want your price somewhere in between them.

In my case, if I trade in a bike I only pay sales tax on the difference between trade in and new bike cost.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode