Thinking about pulling the trigger - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thinking about pulling the trigger

Local dealership has a 2012 in yellow that caught my eye. They are asking for an offer on this new bike with zero miles on it. I'm doing my research on making a good offer, including KBB and now this forum! I'm a little dismayed at seeing the almost $8k MSRP and KBB perfect retail of $5300, but from what I've been seeing, these bikes seem to get well more than what KBB says they should.

I currently have a 2009 Hyosung GV650 SE and the riding position (feet full forward) just about kills me on long trips. That 75 hp is bound to get me into trouble one of these days, too I might hold on to the Hyosung because there were only 200 of them released in the wild to the U.S. and it does get comments wherever I go.

I'm going to spend the next couple of days reading up on the Versys while I let the dealership stew on their "latest fish on the hook". I actually went in to check out the v-strom but I like the looks and feel of the Versys better. Well enough talking and time for some lurking now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 07:55 PM

About $5,800 plus TT&L is about a cheap as you will find one.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Offer $5500 +- and let the negotiation begin....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 08:37 PM

Be careful about assembly charges, freight charges, advertising charges, paper work charges, secretary charges, Tuesday charges . . . etc. Get to out the door price.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
KBB does not include misc charges like shipping, dealer prep. etc.. 2012 is identical to 2014 except for color. $6000 for a new versys, out the door, before taxes and registration, seems like an excellent price to me. Kawasaki and most other brands offer rebates to dealers with older 2013 stock and even bigger rebates for 2012 stock. Ask the dealer what that rebate is.

Alot has to do with the demographics of riders in your area. Where I live adventure style bikes are very popular and you would never see a left over 2012 Versys at a dealer. You are lucky if you can pick up a new 2012 cheap.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-15-2014 at 08:52 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 06:03 AM

What type of riding do you see yourself doing on the Versys? Many believe it's niche and that of the V-Strom are quite different. The Hyosung GV650 SE is a V-twin cruiser with forward controls...you will like the the Versys' riding position and its bigbang twin's power delivery is enjoyable especially around town. The V-Strom's 90 deg V-twin is more comparable to its cousin in the Hyosung. My point is, in my mind, they are completely different bikes. Saving a few hundred dollars won't be worth it if you get the wrong bike. Ride them both..then decide.

I'm no diplomat
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

I'd say that 80% will be commuting to work and back. There are a few campgrounds I'd like to get to once in a while that I wouldn't dream of taking a sport cruiser to. I have a certain trip of 300 miles each way that I'd like to do where I can do as much interstate as I want; lots of longer route scenic highways follow it. And someday, just someday, do something really crazy like go coast to coast or up to Alaska.

I'll ride both of them first. After sitting on both, the Versys just felt better. One thing I noticed on the Versys, was it was nowhere near as top heavy as I thought it would feel like.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
KBB does not include misc charges like shipping, dealer prep. etc.. 2012 is identical to 2014 except for color. $6000 for a new versys, out the door, before taxes and registration, seems like an excellent price to me.
I thought they added ABS to the 2014, and brought out the best color ever.

To the OP, Mark up is about 13% and there is more than likely a $1000 rebate to the dealer. Make sure you check MSRP for the year bike you are looking at. The MSRP has been climbing every year.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 09:07 PM
MTS

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 06:43 PM

aboard!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode