New VERSYS!!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New VERSYS!!!

Just purchased my new Versys on the 9th! I live in the KC area and looking put on some miles . Also, anyone have any good tips for breaking in the Versys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 01:11 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 01:34 AM

Google Motoman break-in.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 03:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easymoney View Post
Just purchased my new Versys on the 9th! I live in the KC area and looking put on some miles . Also, anyone have any good tips for breaking in the Versys?
Welcome from Alaska
As for break-in Take what the dealer tells you (to NOT run it over 5K for the first 500 miles) with a grain of salt. Run it like you would normally, and then some . Change the oil after your first ride and then after 200 or so miles. Use engine braking to decelerate, DON'T run at a constant RPM for too long. Vary your speeds, stop and go, run the RPM's up (NOT to redline quite yet) but don't be afraid to get them up there! It's what the rings NEED to seat properly and will give your engine maximum power in the long run.
That is the condensed version of the Motoman break-in. It is still worth the read for sure. Good luck and hide your credit cards

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 03:23 AM
MTS

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 07:18 AM

I used the motoman method and have kind of always done that with any engine I broke in. Crank it, but keep off the redline and she will be good.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
I used the motoman method and have kind of always done that with any engine I broke in. Crank it, but keep off the redline and she will be good.
Me TOO - and welcome!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 01:58 PM

Also, to help the piston rings seats to "bed in" - it is best to decellerate using engine braking whenever possible. This pulls a vacuum in the engine and moves the rings to the other side of their "races", assisting in break-in and eventual sealing of the piston and rings.

I also go by the "RTFM" philosophy. "Read The F' ing Manual", and do what it says.

[But there is a huge thread on this forum saying lots of other ways to do it. It goes on forever... ]
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 02:17 PM

Welcome aboard.

Bill -- 2012 Versys
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 03:14 PM

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 08:16 PM

Just got my Versys too, the manual says don't go over 4k rpm for the first 600 miles and 6k rpm for the first 1k miles. I want to rev it so bad but I'll be good. I want to be able to rely on her anywhere.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 08:22 PM

After your first ride? Then after 200 miles? Ride it harder than usual? Where did you get these bright ideas?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 08:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldier 1529 View Post
Just got my Versys too, the manual says don't go over 4k rpm for the first 600 miles and 6k rpm for the first 1k miles. I want to rev it so bad but I'll be good. I want to be able to rely on her anywhere.
IF you follow those guidelines you could be robbing your motor of 5-10% more output in the long run. Take some time and read motoman article. It will make you think. Your engine will be reliable EITHER way you break it in. It's just about getting the most potential out of it.

There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldier 1529 View Post
After your first ride? Then after 200 miles? Ride it harder than usual? Where did you get these bright ideas?
If you have to ask..............MY BIKE was 2011 leftover purchased NEW by me 2 months ago. After that oil has set in the crankcase for 3+ years I would think it might be time for a change after it gets heated up and moves around all the inital run particles floating around in the motor. ALSO IF you read the break-in article that has been suggested, you MIGHT have the same BRIGHT IDEAS

To each his own soldier
BTW No need to call someone out on only your 3rd post. But I guess that's what soldiers do, right?

2011 ADVersys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode