Newbie - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Brought home my just bought '09 on Friday last. Two hours later I sold My '06 KLR that I owned for 3 weeks. I had taken it in trade for my modded out restored '83 CB 1100F. Not much activity trying to sell it so I took the trade that I knew would be more sellable. KLR just was not my style. I've been wanting to downsize from the big boys I have been riding for 45 years. (CB900, CB1000, KZ1000, GSXR, VFR800, VMAX, Concours ZG14, CB1100F, numerous modded CB 750's) I turned the big 60 and decided I should slow down a bit. Have heard great things about the "V". I will try to get used to the sound and feel of only two cyclinders!
Bought this one from the daughter of original owner. He had died. 10k on it and in excellent condition with touring accessories. No service records available. How important are valve adjustment checks on these models? Should I just have it done not knowing if it has been?
Any thing else I should check? Has been running AmsOil 10-40. Is this stuff any good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
You can download the service manual from the tech section of this site. I would do a throttle body sync, change the plugs, and clean the air filter. Also adjust suspension for your liking and adjust headlight aim (after suspension adjustment). Not sure what the mileage for the valve adjust is but I believe it is well above 10K. Also chain slack may be out. Suspension adjustment is a long trial and error process, start with the stock settings.

From what I have read on the Internet, any 10W-40 synthetic motorcycle oil (JASO-MA rated) should work fine. 5W-40 should be avoided though. 5W-40 oils use thinner base oils than 10W-40 and then compensate with polymers. The polymers keep the thin base oil from thinning as much as it normally would when it gets hot (allow it to attain the 40w at operating temp) but they degrade quickly in the high shear environment of a motorcycles transmission. Why I guess you never see a 5W-40 motorcycle oil.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 01:17 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 08:23 AM
MTS

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 08:25 AM

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 09:20 AM

I only run Amsoil 10w40 in my Versys. She loves it!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubltee View Post
...No service records available. How important are valve adjustment checks on these models? Should I just have it done not knowing if it has been?
Any thing else I should check? Has been running AmsOil 10-40. Is this stuff any good?
You should do a valve adjustment anytime, as some HAVE and found that several valves were 'tight' - then my experience has been that you can go quite a ways before another.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
You can download the service manual from the tech section of this site. I would do a throttle body sync, change the plugs, and clean the air filter. Also adjust suspension for your liking and adjust headlight aim (after suspension adjustment). Not sure what the mileage for the valve adjust is but I believe it is well above 10K. Also chain slack may be out. Suspension adjustment is a long trial and error process, start with the stock settings.

From what I have read on the Internet, any 10W-40 synthetic motorcycle oil (JASO-MA rated) should work fine. 5W-40 should be avoided though. 5W-40 oils use thinner base oils than 10W-40 and then compensate with polymers. The polymers keep the thin base oil from thinning as much as it normally would when it gets hot (allow it to attain the 40w at operating temp) but they degrade quickly in the high shear environment of a motorcycles transmission. Why I guess you never see a 5W-40 motorcycle oil.
I understand your logic on the gears shearing high polymer 5w-40 oil. I work with an automotive engineer, and he mentioned to me that the "polymer / shear issue" has been solved through better oil designs over recent years, and we no longer need to be concerned with issues with 5w-40 oil. I use a JASO-MA rated syn oil that is 5w-40 http://www.shell.com/rotella/products/t6.html Available a WalMart at a reasonable price. The 5w-40 syn will give you a little more protection at start-up & warm-up too. It seems to shift a little smoother with this stuff.

+1 on your other points (above). I believe the shop manual says valve adjust at 21,000 miles or so. Then much less often later.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 03:11 PM

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode