Getting back on after 10 years - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Getting back on after 10 years

Got off my 1200 Bandit 10 yrs. ago due to wife and having kids. Did a fair amount of looking as heading towards 50 hard and wasn't sure what to buy, I figure my 100 + mph days are done, since I'm no longer invincible and I did my east to west coast 3 week ride in my mid 20's. Kinda figure I could be in iron but club if I had logged the miles. Anyway I ended up on 2011 650 versys 2 weeks ago and on my first 40 mile ride through some Pennsylvania pines I distinctly remember saying to myself "God what was I thinking when I retired from this for 10 yrs". Lets see I'm about 300 miles into it now on a bike that had only 700 mi. on it when I purchased (in pa. after the winter we just had).
Mods so far: Rear fender eliminator/ Led driving lights ( all bikes need extra lighting; The odder looking coming down the road the better. Makes the 4 wheel people see you; at least when they look up from their phones). Looking to solo seat the bike or at least rear cowl. That way I don't have to say no to passengers, but rather I can't; sorry.. It's getting rear hugger and front extender and from there who knows. Looking forward to input/advise ( given and taken) and parts off the form. Great to be enjoying the ride,again!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 07:46 PM

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome, what about if you want take the wife for a spin on the back?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome back to riding! MAN I don't know if I could have lasted 10 years without riding....Sounds like you have a pretty good start on your mods. I'll be interested to see IF you find a solo seat or cowl for the versys, that's one thing I haven't seen yet.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 05:39 AM

Welcome. I had about a 15 year gap with no bike due to family and kids. Went with 68 Bonnie initially. Nice bike but, not what I remembered back in the day. Added a 99 Concours which was very nice, but very heavy. Bought a 2009 Versys and very happy.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 06:25 AM

welcome back! Proceed with caution! Many of today's drivers never learned how to drive

I'm no diplomat
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 06:36 AM

Garage
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 07:57 AM

If you want to be noticed get some neon or an occilating headlight. Seems to work for the Harleys. I ride like I am invisible. The headlights on the Versys are pretty good. This ain't a sport bike so I doubt if you will find a solo seat.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 12:10 PM

I got back into riding about 6 years ago after a 20 year gap. I was amazed at how quickly it all came back to me after not even sitting on a motorcycle for almost 20 years.
I rode motorcross and sport bikes in my teens and early 20s, took 20 years off then on a whim bought a cruiser (Honda Shadow) then a KLR650, then the Versys. Last year I thought I wanted something different and bigger so I bought a BMW. I'm not impressed with the BMW, it'll have a for sale sign on it in a month or so but the Vee is here for awhile.
If your only goal with the solo seat is to dispense with the passenger requests, the easier solution would be to remove the passenger foot pegs and call it a day.

Last edited by ray h; 03-26-2014 at 12:12 PM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 01:13 PM
MTS

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

after 10 yrs. responses

In response to the drivers (cagers): they're actually most of the reason I got off. The wife as a passenger; We've been married for 20 yrs.; In our dating days, yes she went with, after marriage; this is my outlet/hobby. I'll say no more. Solo seat is not just about shedding off passengers, it's mainly about the look. We all need to make our bikes officially ours. Otherwise we'd all keep them stock and get confused in parking lots when there's more then 1 bike. Kinda like most new houses cookie cutters).
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Welcome aboard. I hadnt riden in 40 years and am having a blast. For great ideas on mods and upgrades, make sure you look at the links posted on WelJo's message. I'm just starting to add a number of farkles.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode