New Versys rider says "Hi!" - Long - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Versys rider says "Hi!" - Long

SooooÖ Iím a 55 year old guy who hasnít owned a motorcycle since the mid 1980ís. Havenít really thought about it for years. Then my bud, Atom bought a 650 KLR last fall and started a campaign to get all his friends to buy bikes. I resisted general offers to ride his KLR through the fall and spring, then a couple of weeks ago while I was up north kayaking and staying over at his place in Dixon, NM, he offered me the bike to ride up to the local breakfast joint where he was meeting some other friends to kayak the Rio Pueblo, near Taos, NM. I had no intention of boating the Pueblo, as it is gnarly class V rapids, so I agreed to ride the KLR to the Yacht Club for breakfast. After breakfast, I rode up to the Rio Pueblo and after a further invitation from the tempter to ride his bike wherever I wanted, I decided to forgo kayaking and took off on a three+ hour ride.

I returned in the afternoon with a big smile on my face. I decided that if I sold my Mini cooper, I would buy a motorcycle. But what motorcycle? I wasnít quite sold on the KLR, not because of the bike, but because of the style of riding I thought I would do, which seemed likely to be road oriented. I began to look around at available bikes. Liked the way the cruisers looked, but didnít like the riding position, or the general responsiveness. I decided I did not want a big, (900-1600 cc), bike. I felt more comfortable, (and nimble), on a bike in the KLR displacement range. During my search on Craigslist for used bikes, I came across a post from someone who was selling his cruiser as he had just bought a new Versys. I googled ďVersysĒ, to find out what he was changing to. HmmmmÖ.. This bike seemed to be pretty much what I was looking for....

I found a Versys at a local dealer, but test rode a V-Strom first, as the salesman said it was a comparable bike. It wasnít bad, but didnít win me over at first ride. I then took the Versys for a brief ride of less than a mile. It was responsive, and pulled strong throughout the rpms. When I returned, I told the salesman, that the Versys was the bike I would buy. The sales manager did the usual song and dance, quoted me a price above MSRP, ($7,000 ), and asked that I get back to him when I got a quote from the other local dealer, who he surprisingly said would probably come in with an offer below his offer by $250-$500. (You gotta wonder what these guys are thinking, and why they donít just make you a bona fide offer right from the get-go!) So off I go, and when the other dealer, who is a smaller dealer, and located closer to me, makes an offer below the first guys' offer, ($6450 for those who want to know), I decide I want to deal with them regardless, and within a few days I sell the Mini, and close the deal on the Versys.

That was yesterday. I picked the bike up about 11 AM after getting a ride to the dealer from my munificent neighbor, Brick, so named because heís built like one. Afterwards, Brick, (a seasoned rider and instructor), on his KLR and I on my Versys took a three hour ride on a picture postcard, perfect, twisty, windy mountain road. We rode conservatively the first half of the ride, (I am breaking the bike in after all). At the halfway point, we stopped to take a break, and I commented that I would probably take the bike out on the highway when we returned to town as I hadn't gotten it into top gear yet. Brick took the lead on the return leg, and,(reading my mind), stretched the lines out, as we swooped our way back through the twisties at speeds well in excess of our first leg. At the exit from the canyon he stopped and looked amazed that I had kept up with him. As I pulled up beside him with the biggest sh#t-eating grin I've had in a while, I just kept saying, "that was fun!". When we got home, he commented that the Versys must be an exceptional handling bike for me to have had the confidence to be able to keep up with him at the speeds we were travelling given my dirth of riding experience for the last two decades.

Anyway, I know this is a long post, and I forgive you if you gave up some time ago, but I love this bike! Iíve had it two days, and have put over two hundred miles on it. Iíve averaged about 58 mpg so far, ( that is with relatively gentle riding during the break in period).

Thanks for all of the posts on this forum. They helped push me over the edge on actually buying the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 09:12 PM

Welcome!

2013 Vulcan Classic LT but may be going back in the fold..
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 09:46 PM

Great post, welcome !

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 09:57 PM

Welcome to the nut ward!!!!

Bill
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Versys
F650GSD
FLSTSCI
XR650L
Tri Scrambler
XR50
SRX600
Zuma 125
T100R
Aero 50
EZ90
PA50
States by MC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 10:50 PM

New Versys Rider

Thanks for the great post. I've had my new Versys for about
5 or 6 days now. I think its a great bike so far, I can,t wait
to go on some great rides with it. My inspiration person who
kinda inspired me to really check this bike out was a person on this post
DBD34 he flew from Seatle to Dallas,Texas and rode the bike home.
I thought if someone would do that I should take a look at this bike.
Looked, bought it, now looking at after market equipment.
Thanks for the post you may help someone else make up thier
mind.
Proverbs 3:6
Have a great day
dmc51
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 03:02 AM
Bob

I'm sure you'll sway some people over to the V side

08' Diablo Black Kawasaki Verys
98' 3.0L V6 Colt Rodeo D/C (Engine rebuilt, Body lift, Monroe Shocks, 32" Wrangler MTR's, GME GX300)

Work hard, play harder. --Bob
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 05:17 AM

To the forum!!!

'15 DL1000
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 06:46 AM

A very inspirational post. Not to get poetic, but, your post mirrors the general experience of many of us after their first ride. This is a special kind of bike. You become one with it, and it rewards you with the response in the twisties that seems to read your mind. All in all, a very fun bike and an informative, helpful community on these forums. As others have said b4 me, welcome aboard.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 07:39 AM

I agree. That post made me want to get out and ride (kind of tough at 2:00am on a work night though!). I pick up my brand new Versys in T-minus 4 hrs, 19 minutes!!!!

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman325 View Post
I agree. That post made me want to get out and ride (kind of tough at 2:00am on a work night though!). I pick up my brand new Versys in T-minus 4 hrs, 19 minutes!!!!
I was going to say "Why the hell are you awake?" then I see you are picking up your bike, no wonder you can't sleep! You are like a kid at Chirstmas!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 10:25 PM

Very nice post. Welcome aboard!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 08:11 AM

Nice choice on your first re-entry bike.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 10:26 AM

Welcome to the V crowd!

I took a very loooonnnggg bus ride to Kansas to pick up my Versys last October and ride home to Louisiana. Really nice bike for my kind of riding.

07 K1200GT

07 Tiger 1050 (on the way)
08 Versys (Sold)

08 Ninja 250r (wife's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode