Cold tires, cold road, sore hip - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cold tires, cold road, sore hip

Last week I was eager to get a ride in and got out pretty early. The short story is that it was cold (18F), I was on cold tires and got a little too excited coming around a concrete right hander. The V washed out and I ended up on the ground feeling pretty silly.

I was probably doing 15 - 20MPH when I laid it down. I've never dropped a bike on pavement before so I have a few questions.

1) What do I need to check out from a mechanical POV? As far as I can tell I have a bent brake lever, broken right footrest, scratched upper fairing, scratched hard bag, and a scuffed fork end.

2) The bags actually keep most of the hard parts out of harm's way but would you guys recommend frame or axle sliders?

3) My front tire is looking pretty worn. I'm not down to the wear bar but I'm close. I've got a set of Scorpion Trails on order but are these tires safe to ride on for a couple of weeks?

I've got a service appointment at the Kawasaki dealer for a basic tune-up, tire mounting and a safety inspection. I'd do it myself but I figure it might be worth it to have a tech take a look.

Anyway, I'm bummed about the damage but I'll get over it. In 14 years of riding I haven't dropped a bike in traffic so this was probably bound to happen. I'm just glad it was on a quiet street.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 04:42 PM

Sorry to hear, hope your hip heals up quick.

You obviously know why it happened, so you're probably fine to ride if you take it easy...but get your new tires on. I'm in need of new ones myself...just can't decide what to get./

Lovin every minute of it!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 07:05 AM

Sorry about your drop - glad your OK.

Since its going to a MC mechanic anyway, Have them look it over good. I would trust them to let you know if they see anything that may be mechanically unsound.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 08:53 AM
MTS

Glad you are ok!

When I went out this winter one time everyone warned me about frost!

It will take you down fast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode