Yet Another Buckeye - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yet Another Buckeye

Yes, someone else from Ohio, Tipp City to be exact.

I bought my '08 Versys last fall after much consideration.

I am a long time BMW rider, I own two R1100's, an RS and an RTP (retired police bike). I've been riding litre+ bikes for over ten years and decided I wanted a small 'fun' bike. I looked at the BMW offerings in the 650cc range but just couldn't come off of $9,000+/- for big blue. I really did like the 650 X-Counrty though. I came across the Versys in '07 when researching 650cc starter bikes for my husband who took up motorcycling after he sold his sail plane (long story). The Versys was not available in '07 so he went with a 650 V-Strom. The 'Strom is a fine bike, but not what I considered to be a "small fun bike."

I continued to follow and read about the Versys and was impressed all the way. When I finally decided to actually buy one late summer '08, the fun really began. There are two Kawi dealers in my area. I have experience with both as I had a KLR650 at one time and I like neither of them. At about this time the Versys was named MOTY. The two local dealers were not coming off of MSRP one little bit. In fact one of them said there would be a premium charge because they would have to bring one in from another dealer. I cast my search wider than the local area.

I found a dealer in Huron, OH who was offering the Versys for $1,000 off of MSRP. I called and they still had one. I gave them my credit card number for a deposit and told them I'd be there in three days to pick it up. This was the first time I ever bought a motorcycle over the phone, sight unseen. Not even an e-pic. Three days later, I tossed my riding gear into the truck, hooked up the trailer, punched the dealer's address into the GPS, pressed the go button and three hours later I arrived at the dealer. The deal closed pretty quick and I took the Versys out for a test ride. After half an hour of fun, I returned to the dealer, they helped me push it onto the trailer, I tied it down and headed home. I've never looked back and never suffered with buyer's remorse. This bike is everything I was looking for and then some.

Nikki O'Quinn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 07:31 PM

Welcome Nikkio! Nice writeup and introduction. The V is the smallest street bike I've ever owned and agree it is a blast to ride. It's good to see all the buckeyes joining the forum.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Great intro! Welcome aboard! Looks like Ohio might be taking over as the Versys capitol.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 04:01 AM

Welcome Nikki !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'15 DL1000
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 07:16 AM

Cool, one more for ohio.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 07:07 PM

Welcome from another buckeye over in Tuscarawas cty. I don't get over on that side of the state too often, too flat and the roads are too straight. However, a friend of mine is south of you in Middleton and he too rides BMW, but couldn't resist the Versys.

In fact, he is on his second one after wrecking the first.

Maloy

Bikes owned
Current
'74 Honda CL360

Past
'08 Versys (lost in head on collision 07-05-2010)
'86 Honda XL500 (wrecked RIP)
'08 KLR650
'00 Vulcan Classic Fi 1500cc
'06 Kymco 250cc scooter
'93 Honda VLX 600cc
'85 Honda XL500
'85 Honda Rebel 250cc
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maloy View Post
Welcome from another buckeye over in Tuscarawas cty. I don't get over on that side of the state too often, too flat and the roads are too straight. However, a friend of mine is south of you in Middleton and he too rides BMW, but couldn't resist the Versys.

In fact, he is on his second one after wrecking the first.

Maloy
Now be nice. You make it sound like I live in Seneca County Granted Miami County isn't as hilly or twisty as Tuscawaras County, but its not exactly boring either. I usually head south and east to go play. Hocking Hills is familiar territory.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 08:09 PM

I was being nice for someone who has a little Appalachian blood and perspective in them. We see everything as flat and straight until you get to the Rocky's with the exception of the Ozarks.

If you are getting over to the Hocking hills area, sometime hit McConnelsville and take SR 78 to the Ohio river, or turn south onto SR 800, or onto SR 26 out of Woodsfield.

I get down to the Hocking Hills area at least three times a year.

Maloy

PS-If you flattened out West Virginia, it would be bigger than Texas!

Bikes owned
Current
'74 Honda CL360

Past
'08 KLR650
'06 Kymco 250cc scooter
'93 Honda VLX 600cc
'85 Honda XL500
'85 Honda Rebel 250cc
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maloy View Post
I was being nice for someone who has a little Appalachian blood and perspective in them. We see everything as flat and straight until you get to the Rocky's with the exception of the Ozarks.

If you are getting over to the Hocking hills area, sometime hit McConnelsville and take SR 78 to the Ohio river, or turn south onto SR 800, or onto SR 26 out of Woodsfield.

I get down to the Hocking Hills area at least three times a year.

Maloy

PS-If you flattened out West Virginia, it would be bigger than Texas!
Been all over those roads. Have run SR555? Great squiggly little road nicknamed 'Ohio's Dragon.'
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 11:53 PM

Not this year I haven't. I've been doing more riding in WV.

Maloy

Bikes owned
Current
'74 Honda CL360

Past
'08 KLR650
'06 Kymco 250cc scooter
'93 Honda VLX 600cc
'85 Honda XL500
'85 Honda Rebel 250cc
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 03:19 AM

Hoy hoy from Columbus! We have a few things in common. I to am a Beemer owner, '94 R1100 RSL and a former KLR 650 owner. I just picked up my Versys yesterday. I'm still giddy.

"I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves." -- Jerry Garcia
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 11:23 AM

From one worthless nut to another. Welcome. I bought my 2008 in Atlanta with 800 miles on it in April. It now has 8000 miles on it. Love riding it to work. Recently replaced the worn-out dunnies with Pirellli Stradas. Wow! What a difference. I thought it was fun to ride before!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger View Post
From one worthless nut to another. Welcome. I bought my 2008 in Atlanta with 800 miles on it in April. It now has 8000 miles on it. Love riding it to work. Recently replaced the worn-out dunnies with Pirellli Stradas. Wow! What a difference. I thought it was fun to ride before!
Yeah, I am no fan of Dunlop tires but am too cheap to replace them before they are worn out. I'll keep the Pirellis in mind.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 10:43 PM

Yea the Dunny's are ok, but there's better tires on the market. I'll be looking into the Avon Distanzia's. I put one one the rear of my KLR before I sold it. It made a world of difference, for the better. I've had the Avon Azaro's on my RSL Beemer for years, fresh sets that is.

I forgot to mention Nikki, I was in Tipp City for the Cruise In, and in Dayton for the Trans Am Nationals. I own two '69 Firebirds, one an OHC-6 coupe and the other a 400 convertible. I've been coming to both events for a few years now. I know us 'bird owners appreciate the hospitality your town gives us.

"I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves." -- Jerry Garcia

Last edited by if6was9; 10-08-2009 at 10:52 PM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by if6was9 View Post
Yea the Dunny's are ok, but there's better tires on the market. I'll be looking into the Avon Distanzia's. I put one one the rear of my KLR before I sold it. It made a world of difference, for the better. I've had the Avon Azaro's on my RSL Beemer for years, fresh sets that is.

I forgot to mention Nikki, I was in Tipp City for the Cruise In, and in Dayton for the Trans Am Nationals. I own two '69 Firebirds, one an OHC-6 coupe and the other a 400 convertible. I've been coming to both events for a few years now. I know us 'bird owners appreciate the hospitality your town gives us.
Since you are a Pontiac person.....do you know Bruce Fulper ???

'15 DL1000
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnor View Post
Since you are a Pontiac person.....do you know Bruce Fulper ???
The name doesn't ring any bells. We may have kicked tires at one of the Pontiac related shows, but I don't know him by name.

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 10:20 PM

Nikkio: hi, welcome to the our community forum...cool!
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 11:23 PM

Hello fellow Buckeyes! From Lake County up in the northeast on the Lake (Erie that is). Any others out there in the area?

09 Versys
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 02:12 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Nikkiooooooooo...

and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode