Hello from the Great Smoky Mts. and a question??? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello from the Great Smoky Mts. and a question???

I'm a still-working senior who's modest pension just kicked in and that makes me feel like a small time 'Trust Fund Kid'. So what does a brand new 'TFK' do?

Get a motorcycle, natch!

My last ride, over 40 years ago was one of these:

1960 BSA Goldstar.

Been looking hard at the Bonnevilles but keep coming back to the Versys. Nostalgia is losing out to all-around competence (I hope) and updated technology. Also swayed by the tone of the neighborhood here

I should add that I'm posting now in advance of acquiring a bike as I'm taking the MSF course this weekend coming up, I'll be at a dealers next week with checkbook in hand and the time for lurking is past.

Now the question:

Where has this fixation with getting both feet on the ground come from? Is it that bikes are so heavy now? I can't recall ever putting both feet down at a light, just the brake foot with the other on the shifter, ready to go. I'm not tall and the bike leaned a bit but so what? As you powered off, centripetal(sp?) force took over w/o a thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome aboard! Nice bike in your picture. As far as the two feet thing, I asked the same question awhile back & was told it was more of a confidence thing. I can see that. Not trying to be judgmental, only trying to be educated.

Anyway, you're right, the Bonneville is a great looking bike. If I weren't so big, I'd have one. I wouldn't trade my Versys for it, but I could see getting it as a second bike. Hell, it's so nice looking, I may get one & put it in the living room for decoration!

Good on you for taking the MSF course. I think every rider would benefit some from it. It's not going to help you win a moto gp, but who knows, you may learn something useful.

One last thing, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Versys. It's a fun bike to ride.

Ok, so I lied about the 'one more thing' thing. What is '450voltsDC' about?

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 07:47 PM

The Versys is the lowest bike I've had in several years. I can touch both feet with it OK, but that hasn't been the case with several other bikes. I never found it to be a problem. I agree that it just may be a confidence thing and you'll find it won't be necessary. Just my opinion.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 08:01 PM

Flat footing might make it easier to back up as well, I usually put the left leg down and keep the right one on the brake at stops. sweet BSA I also like the bonnie. good luck on the class, welcome to this great forum and enjoy the ride.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=

Ok, so I lied about the 'one more thing' thing. What is '450voltsDC' about?[/QUOTE]

make me talk about my hobby...hurt me!

I build tube audio equipment. A tube amplifiers power supply is usually around 450 volts DC and over 100 milliamps, a current to be very respectful around. Heres a whopping 2 Watt'r that uses a 70 year old set of power tubes so I made it to have a bit of an antique look:

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

That is a work of art.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 10:19 PM

I'm new to the forum to, and will be getting a Versys sometime this coming week. I'm 5'8" with a 32" inseam and had the balls of my feet at a stop. But it didn't feel uncomfortable like my KLR 650 before I lowered it 2". If I get some money out of the removed upgrades from my KLR that I'm trading in, I may get the gel seat for the Versys.

450V DC, that pic reminds me of an old tube amp I use to own, a Bogan. But it was 110V. Wish I still had it, it was a great amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode