First timer, finally decided on my bike - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First timer, finally decided on my bike

Greetings!

Not too much for background when it comes to motorcycles. I've never been on a motorized cycle, just the standard pedal kind. I've been commuting to work for the last 7-8 years and just trying to get from to work and back without death in various cars with solid success. Last year, though, I changed jobs to one within a mile of my house and the idea of getting something a little less expensive, more fun, and completely different came to mind.

I considered a scooter...but realized that I might as well just ride my bicycle for the price vs luxury quotient. Then I found out that some bikes were getting 50-60mph in town! The last few months have been a blur or internet searches, books read, videos watched and countless discussions with riders about their experiences and recommendations. Its been fun and its gotten me very excited.

I'm probably jumping the gun, but I believe I've settled on the bike I want to start off with. I wanted something good for the street but capable of the very occaisonal off-road. I wanted it comfortable to ride but slightly aggressive. It also had to fit me...I'm 6'4" and sit pretty comfortably around 225. I was told dual sports were the bracket for me (as much as I wanted a sport or sport touring). I was almost resigned to a KLR-650...with a secret wish to convert it to a less dirt bike look until someone pointed out the versys. Perfection!

So here I am, stealing all your knowledge and life experiences...waiting until I can save up enough money for the MSF course (and stealing parking lot instructionals from my brother) while I hunt for a suitably used Versys.

I look forward to becoming a seasoned member of this forum and hope to see ya around!

Azaizia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 10:31 AM

to the Fort Knox of Versys knowledge! Steal away, you'll find the front door wide open!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
When you begin riding your V to work, find a longer way to get there and back, to UP the enjoyment, AND warm up your oil!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
When you begin riding your V to work, find a longer way to get there and back, to UP the enjoyment, AND warm up your oil!

Good advice. Back in the day, while in Germany (Ramstein AB for those who might be interested) I rode about 1/2 mile to work but managed to ride between 35 and 60 miles on the way back home in the evening. Good therapy after a day at work 65 feet below the surface of the earth. Blasted Commies anyway.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 12:07 PM

to a great forum. Lots of experience and knowledge here and it's free for the asking (I think).

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 03:54 PM

I highly recommend taking the MSF (as you stated) even with any help from others. I rode 20 years without it and took the MSF with my wife and had a blast (and learned a few things).

I also suggest looking into proper protective riding gear.

aboard!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the warm welcomes! Ive always had a rule that any transportation I owned had to have a solid messageboard behind it for support, I obviously have chosen well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode