Howdy from SC - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Smile Howdy from SC

Like the title says, Howdy from South Carolina! Land of vinegar BBQ, boiled peanuts and the LuvGuv!
I've had my V for about a week, bought used after reading a lot of advice on this forum about things to look out for. After actually riding a couple hundred miles on Sunday, I've decided this is a great bike. It reminds me of my old TDM, but lighter, better handling and easier to work on. So far I've installed a 43t sprocket, which definitely helps on the highway. I just checked my frame and found no cracks, and only needed a couple of washers to shim it up. On the farkle list is a hugger, radiator guard, better seat, and a pair of Givi V35's, as my bike came with the stock PLX/Kawasaki mounts, but no bags. I look at this as an ongoing project. The bad news is my R1100RS might not be seeing as much action as it used to.
I just want to acknowledge all those who've shared their technical expertise and advice on this forum, it makes owning a V a great thing!

Tim with the V in SC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome aboard Tim!! Looks like you've done your homework! Beautiful state you live in. I lived there '93-'94. In fact, the wife & daughter just got back from a short vacation to Myrtle Beach last month.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 07:40 PM

Welcome, what part of SC. are you in ? I'm in Trenton [North Augusta area]

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 07:20 AM

Low country here if you in the area there are three of us looking to get together for a group ride!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the Welcome !
I'm over in Florence, otherwise known as the land between the mountains and the sea. Also known as very few roads with curves. The good thing is that 45 minutes of riding will get you to the start of going somewhere interesting. Looks like we've got the lowcountry and upstate represented, so I guess maybe a meet up somewhere around Columbia would be in order. I guess what really matters is where the best BBQ is..........

And Bear, sometimes I diss my little part of the state, but SC does have some really neat places to ride. The lowcountry between Charleston and Beaufort, the upstate west of Greenville, and even the sandhills southeast of Charlotte where there are some sand roads that look like they would give a Humvee fits.
All of it beats fighting traffic in S Fla which is why I came up 20 yrs ago.

Hope to see y'all on the road some day.........http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...lies/smile.gif
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 09:26 AM

Welcome aboard. It was interesting to see you compare the V to a TDM. Up until now the TDM was my all time fav. I think the V wins (maybe just because of the farkles) but I wish it had the TDM motor, it was WAY more powerful and much smoother.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 06:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to andyhewitt3 Send a message via Skype™ to andyhewitt3
Quote:
Originally Posted by timflys View Post
Like the title says, Howdy from South Carolina! Land of vinegar BBQ, boiled peanuts and the LuvGuv!
I've had my V for about a week, bought used after reading a lot of advice on this forum about things to look out for. After actually riding a couple hundred miles on Sunday, I've decided this is a great bike. It reminds me of my old TDM, but lighter, better handling and easier to work on. So far I've installed a 43t sprocket, which definitely helps on the highway. I just checked my frame and found no cracks, and only needed a couple of washers to shim it up. On the farkle list is a hugger, radiator guard, better seat, and a pair of Givi V35's, as my bike came with the stock PLX/Kawasaki mounts, but no bags. I look at this as an ongoing project. The bad news is my R1100RS might not be seeing as much action as it used to.
I just want to acknowledge all those who've shared their technical expertise and advice on this forum, it makes owning a V a great thing!

Tim with the V in SC

Welcome from Greenville. I love it up here. some really great roads nearby. I grew up in Green Sea, SC (near Myrtle Beach). I have an aunt in Florence. WAY TOO FLAT and too many straight roads down there. Have fun with your V!!!!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Pegasus,
You're right about the TDM. Incredible motor, decent handling, I am sorry I sold mine. In fact before I got the V, I looked around for a couple of weeks to see if I could find a TDM, but there was anything in the southeast. The V is actually the closest thing I have seen out there. And it's a lot lighter!

Andy,
Glad to see you live in the land of curvy roads. Everything is straight and flat around here, with a very few exceptions. When I want fun riding, I head north and west.
One of the things i enjoy about riding a V around here is the looks I get from the cruiser and sportbike crowd. Most look at it and a complete look of bewilderment comes over them. As if to say, what in the he** is that contraption you're riding? Add that to the fact that I am an ATGATT guy makes for some strange looks. I just tell 'em what you ride is not as important as how you ride.
Done with the lawn work, now it's time to ride!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 03:22 AM

Pleased to have met you.

Tim, met you on Dicey Creek road in Camden on my new '09 blue versys while the deer were crossing the road. You certaily boosted my confidence and so now, here one is prepping to perform his first oil change. This forum has been very helpful. I have 700 miles on the bike, hope there is no reason for serious concern on my part. Just was zealous in my riding before I decided to do the maintenance on my own. Powersports in columbia wants 175.00 for the first change. This seems to be costly. Just wanted to touch base and say hello. Love the bike, much to my new brides dismay. Look forward to bilking biker knowledge and wisdom from you and our brothers here on the "V" forum... Sincerely...Automatic
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 03:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
from Malaysia.

Ride safe and be safe.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
guys, all the best automatic with doing the oil change and any issues just ask on the forum
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
and Howdy from texas. use to live in moncks corner good area for riding. have a sister that lives in harleyville, great bbq at sweatmans bbg in holy hill. my grandmother had a place in yemassee great ride from there to beaufort with the live oaks trees with all the spanish moss hanging from them. south carolina is one of my favorite states. enjoy the bike and the forum.

Last edited by weljo2001; 08-13-2010 at 05:54 AM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 09:40 AM

Welcome Timflys & Automatic!

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 04:45 PM

Thanks again y'all. Having read most of the messages on oil changes, and am heading off to the local auto shop for filter/oil and the "aluminum drain plug crush washer". thought this site was sending me on a snipe hunt. Do I need to get a center stand to work on the V? Chain lube? It has been said to use chain wax, have yet to find some. Currently using Champion multi purpose chain lube. Question Please! Going from either 2d to 3d or 3d to 4th seems to be a big transition, sometimes not able to actuate. Is this standard? Have put the bike down 4 times. Twice in soft gravel and sand going barely idle speed and twice in the grass turning to park. Neeless to say battle scars are apparent on the V. All the pics I have seen, show unblemished bikes. Is this the breaking in period for a newbie? Bike is tall when sitting for my shallow inseam. I ride well enough when wheels are turning. Does one persue a lowering kit at this stage? All fuel seems to have 10% ethanol, is this a concern? Thanks in advance...Automatic
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Andy,
the oil change is simple and you don't need a rear stand for it. However, for chain lubing and other tasks, it does make life easier. As far as chain lube, following what I read on this board I have been using Dupont Teflon chain lube. Seems to wear well, doesn't sling off and is readily available at most ACE hardwares and Lowes.
Don't forget to take that MSF course and the more you ride the more your abilities and confidence will improve.
Next time I get a chance to ride over in your neck of the woods I'll send you a PM.

Tim in SC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode