Hi All - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi All

Just joined the forum, and I have been searching the web for info on the 650 Versys and this forum just kept being a wealth of information. I am trading in my current bike this weekend (2011 Harley 48) and getting a 2013 leftover versys brand new. I have been riding since 2007 when I purchased my first bike which was a 2006 Ninja 650r. Because of the experiences I had on that 650r the decision to go to the versys was easy. When I first got my 650 r I always yearned for the ER6n, and even contemplated converting it, however I felt it wouldn't be worth the money as parts were hard to come by in the US at the time, and ultimately was happy with my 650r. I since have fallen in love with the Versys, and cant wait to pick it up. I will be checking in periodically and am excited to see that there are so many other people out there who see what I do in this bike. Look forward to talking with you all.
-Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

So does anyone have advice when it comes to luggage? I actually like the big square boxes, but don't like the big huge price tags. I am looking to get hard bags and a top case as I do enjoy going for longer rides from time to time. I was hoping not to have to spend $2,000.00 on bags, but if that's what it is that's what it is. Any suggestions on what to get or not get due to experience?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I had a Givi E-55 Topcase and some soft saddle bags for hauling the goodies around.

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 12:48 PM

For my money you can't beat Pelican cases. After a run-in with a red light blasting bike messenger I had mine detach at speed. It had 2 client's laptops in it! Skidded/flipped an entire city block from about 50mph and NONE of the contents were damaged, nor did it come open at all. Can't beat that...

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 01:59 PM

Welcome to the forum and the V. It is a great bike as you kinda already know.
Personally I use the Givi Trekker side cases and a V47 top case which let me carry a lot of stuff and aren't crazy expensive.

2013 Versys1000
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome and I use panniers and top box in givi box's

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 03:55 PM

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Like Kiwi41, I have - and like - the Givi V35 hard cases. No top box though. Don't care for them as it puts weight high and behind the rear axle. To each his own. My solution was to mount an Axio tail pack on the passenger portion of the saddle. It works for me.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Nice, thanks. I really like those Givi v35 side cases. I agree with you Arion the top case if bad for weight distribution and looks, but if I want to take my girlfriend anywhere without the truck I will most definitely need the storage, and I know some of the Givi cases have a small back pad (not that I would suggest leaning against it, but im about 200lbs and I have put my weight against my friends Givi top case on his Honda 599, and it doesn't move even a little)
Weljo2001 what kind of fog lights do you have on there? Those look sweet.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Like Kiwi41, I have - and like - the Givi V35 hard cases. No top box though. Don't care for them as it puts weight high and behind the rear axle. To each his own. My solution was to mount an Axio tail pack on the passenger portion of the saddle. It works for me.
I always have disliked those "top boxes", they make a bike look like a friggin AWAC, plus they certainly can't help the aerodynamics any, and the position and weight factor is all wrong, as you mentioned. Now, there are some really interesting tail packs available...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode