Hello from Michigan - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello from Michigan

Hello everyone. Any owners from Michigan on here? Have been checking out this site for a while now. I currently ride a 08 Triumph Sprint. My next bike will more than likely be a Versys. Watching for a used one a little closer to Michigan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 02:37 PM

I'm not from Michigan but did learn how to ride there some years ago. My Grandfather had a place about 6 miles north of New Buffalo, MI. in the SW part of the state. We lived in the Chicago area and I wanted a motorcycle but my folks didn't want me to ride around the busy city (smart people!) So they said I could have a bike if I kept it up there AND I paid for it and 1 years of insurance up front and in cash. Worked and saved at my job at $1.50 per hour until I had all the money then bought a brand new Yamaha in 1971. Was up there as much as I could to ride the roads in that beautiful part of your state. Right near his house was a part of the original U.S. Hwy 12 that went from Detroit to Chicago.
I mean original too, a narrow concrete road covered for miles by huge oak trees. I think it must have been part of the first paved road up that way. It had been by-passed years before but you could still go about 8 miles on it to have the experience of early motorists.
Spent a lot of time exploring other roads as far north as Holland, MI and west to Niles. It was a great time in my life and I will always remember it fondly.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 12:35 PM

Michigan Resident

Hey Poweranger, I live about 15 miles south of Detroit. I've got a red '08. Where are you located?

HandKPhil

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

I am in Kalamazoo.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 03:29 PM

I grew up (and started riding) in the Kalamazoo area. We lived out in the country and I went to Mattawan High School. I live (and have for more than 30 years) in suburban Chicago.

I miss those nearby rural roads, hills and curves. Biggest drawback to motorcycling in the windy city is the time it takes to get out to some good riding roads.

Good to hear from the Michigan residents.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 01:58 PM

Welcome. There are a couple of us up around the Petoskey area. Come up and say hello.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsaunders4837 View Post
I grew up (and started riding) in the Kalamazoo area. We lived out in the country and I went to Mattawan High School. I live (and have for more than 30 years) in suburban Chicago.

I miss those nearby rural roads, hills and curves. Biggest drawback to motorcycling in the windy city is the time it takes to get out to some good riding roads.

Good to hear from the Michigan residents.

I work in Chicago now. I am not sure if I would even ride my bike anywhere near there! The traffic and drivers are crazy! I would miss these roads too if I ever moved to the city.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRimaging View Post
Welcome. There are a couple of us up around the Petoskey area. Come up and say hello.
I was up at the bridge today with the Sprint. In Gaylord now at the cabin for the weekend. Going to stop by all the MC dealers in town tomorrow. Will probably be sitting on a Versys again if they have one in stock. Maybe I can get a test ride!

How well does the Versys do with wind protection. You guys should know better than anyone with this northern Michigan weather.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweranger View Post
I work in Chicago now. I am not sure if I would even ride my bike anywhere near there! The traffic and drivers are crazy! I would miss these roads too if I ever moved to the city.
The traffic definitely takes getting used to. You realize how really bad the other drivers are when you get on a motorcycle around here.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 09:20 AM

I am in Michigan, betwen Charlevoix and Traverse City, would love a riding partner or get together for a group ride somewhere this early Fall.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 01:18 PM

Hi:
I'm from Muskegon, MI.
Brad
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 04:41 PM

Welcome, I was in Kalamazoo last weekend, Awesome beer from the Bells Cafe. I'd like to get back there soon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Wow, many more responses from Michigan than I figured. If anyone is looking to hook up for some riding try some of the other forums. Sport-touring.net has has a lot of things going on in the Region 4 forum in Michigan. Lunch meets and Photo Tag.

I stopped by the Kawi dealer in Gaylord today but no Versys. Was hoping to get a ride on one.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibrha View Post
I am in Michigan, betwen Charlevoix and Traverse City, would love a riding partner or get together for a group ride somewhere this early Fall.
I'm debating, depending on weather, a quick ride up to Whitefish on Saturday. Care to join? Anyone is welcome.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRimaging View Post
I'm debating, depending on weather, a quick ride up to Whitefish on Saturday. Care to join? Anyone is welcome.
I was actually in Whitefish last Saturday. But in the car with the wife. Didn't notice any V's on the road though.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 09:10 AM

That is alright. I am switching to doing the M22 Loop. Traverse City to Northport (may or may not head to the lighthouse), then Leland, then Empire, then back to TC. Should be a decent loop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode